Heat Distribution

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (jeeps613 @ May 7 2007, 02:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe a butane lighter might burn hot enough- but dunno on that one- never thought to try it...

i dont know about the japanese coals...but a butane lighter DOES NOT work very well with natural coals...they just take way too much...even if its a nice one...

I agree with Ehagen8008.

I've never made natural coals work with a blow-torch.

I think natural coals respond better to a more gentle and regular heating method. like a stove style heating for a good 5 mins.

5 mins on a blowtorch is just a lot of hard work and is not exactly evenly distributed.

JD

For anyone who was wondering, you can pick up one of those torches that JD has at Lowe's or Home Depot, or probably any local hardware store.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

I'd imagine you should buy it in a store though, I somehow doubt they can ship propane canisters. I also checked, replacement canisters are only $3.00, so once you get the torch piece that's damn cheap.

QUOTE (Hearsay @ Jun 11 2007, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For anyone who was wondering, you can pick up one of those torches that JD has at Lowe's or Home Depot, or probably any local hardware store.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

I'd imagine you should buy it in a store though, I somehow doubt they can ship propane canisters. I also checked, replacement canisters are only $3.00, so once you get the torch piece that's damn cheap.

Nice find Hearsay

I love the fact the re-fill canisters are so damn cheap!

JD

Ive been using a torch now for a year, and ive always had the same method as JD.
But my torch has a trigger with a lighter, so i click once and im up and running tongue.gif

14$ for the whole setup at Ace, refills are 2.99, and ive gone through 2 tanks in a year of smoking!

4 Japs on the corners FTW.

I'll second cal, $15 for the Benzomatic self lighting torch at Home Depot or Lowes with $3 a bottle for refill propane... I've been using my torch for a year and still have yet to empty a bottle and I smoke 2-3 times a day and use natural coals alot of the time so i use a crapload of propane....

QUOTE (nofrendo @ May 7 2007, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Johnny_D @ May 6 2007, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is how Johnny gets down :-

JD

I have a portable camp stove, it was all I could find. What store in the U.S. sells pro'pane and pro'pane accessories like that? wink.gif

Hank Hill!

QUOTE (Hearsay @ Jun 11 2007, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not only are they not expensive, they are cheap.

and fun... burninating the countryside! Burninating the Peasants! burninating all the people... in the thatched roof cottages!!

ahem

What do you sit the coal on to light it?? I imagine the kitchen table is out...

QUOTE (PerznPerversion) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (nofrendo) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a portable camp stove, it was all I could find. What store in the U.S. sells pro'pane and pro'pane accessories like that? wink.gif

Hank Hill!

Ahh Hank Hill. "I sell propane and propane accesories." -Hank Hill

I use blow torches for everything. They're just way too much fun for pyros like me biggrin.gif

TX

I primarily use my social smoke bowl and one piece of foil. I poke tons of holes with those pins that come with dress shirts. As for the coals I break a stargate into three pieces and arrange them into a triangle and just leave them. after a while i ash them but most of the time i just leave them be until i'm not getting as much smoke and call it off.

QUOTE (RichL) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I primarily use my social smoke bowl and one piece of foil. I poke tons of holes with those pins that come with dress shirts. As for the coals I break a stargate into three pieces and arrange them into a triangle and just leave them. after a while i ash them but most of the time i just leave them be until i'm not getting as much smoke and call it off.

That's a good technique man!

TX

Well last night I tried my usual method (a 40mm 3 kings that I move regularly) and I also tried some of the ideas put up here,

I was smoking the last of my nakhla double apple (since I am familiar with the flavor).

First I did a 40mm 3 kings broken into 5ths more or less (I broke it after lighting) so the pieces were kind-of small... then placed them at the very edge of my medium sized social smoke bowl. It was a very harsh (but flavorful) smoke, but very thick... It also burned out quick (only lasted 20 mins or so) I am going to try something similar again tonight but with ice in the base (instead of room temp water) and see if that alleviates the harshness.

I also did a 40mm 3K that I broke into halves (though I kinda got a 1/2 and 2 1/4 pieces) significantly more pleasant smoke and still very flavorful) but! this was on the same bowl that I had just done with the smaller pieces (it took a while to start up but once it got going...)

I guess my question is this, was the problem with the first bowl the fact that I had used too much coal? Or was the 2nd bowl better because I had already burned the hell out of the tobacco...

I definitely got a more complete "burn" on the tobacco than I usually do (normally the bottom of the shisha is almost fresh when I finish) this time it was all that nice overcaramelized color...

any pointers? Thanks!!

QUOTE (Skarredmind @ Jun 12 2007, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well last night I tried my usual method (a 40mm 3 kings that I move regularly) and I also tried some of the ideas put up here,

I was smoking the last of my nakhla double apple (since I am familiar with the flavor).

First I did a 40mm 3 kings broken into 5ths more or less (I broke it after lighting) so the pieces were kind-of small... then placed them at the very edge of my medium sized social smoke bowl. It was a very harsh (but flavorful) smoke, but very thick... It also burned out quick (only lasted 20 mins or so) I am going to try something similar again tonight but with ice in the base (instead of room temp water) and see if that alleviates the harshness.

I also did a 40mm 3K that I broke into halves (though I kinda got a 1/2 and 2 1/4 pieces) significantly more pleasant smoke and still very flavorful) but! this was on the same bowl that I had just done with the smaller pieces (it took a while to start up but once it got going...)

I guess my question is this, was the problem with the first bowl the fact that I had used too much coal? Or was the 2nd bowl better because I had already burned the hell out of the tobacco...

I definitely got a more complete "burn" on the tobacco than I usually do (normally the bottom of the shisha is almost fresh when I finish) this time it was all that nice overcaramelized color...

any pointers? Thanks!!

When you broke that 40mm into 5ths, and dumped it on, you essentially torched the crap out of the bowl. Ice in the water might help, but it wont fix the underlying issue that you torched the crap out of the bowl.
A 1/2 and 2 1/4's on opposite sides of the bowl sounds to me much more like a reasonable and effective way to do it.

QUOTE (Calcartman @ Jun 12 2007, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you broke that 40mm into 5ths, and dumped it on, you essentially torched the crap out of the bowl. Ice in the water might help, but it wont fix the underlying issue that you torched the crap out of the bowl.
A 1/2 and 2 1/4's on opposite sides of the bowl sounds to me much more like a reasonable and effective way to do it.

Thanks, I kinda suspected that that was the case... I suppose the thing that confused me was that I used the same amount of coal in both, but I guess that the smaller pieces burn hotter and faster (that really isn't all that surprising)... Of course the key now is to figure out how to get a good break :-D

Also when I use a single coal I move it around regularly, am I correct in understanding that when I break it into smaller pieces and place them on the very edge of the bowl that I will have to move them less?? I'm not opposed to moving coals, but my hookah is pretty tall and I am pretty lazy (read: I don't like standing up to adjust constantly). I do it because I love my hookah, but if there is a way I can avoid (or minimize) it I'll be a happy camper.

QUOTE (nofrendo @ May 7 2007, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any hardware store sells these torches. They're used for brazing, which is just a process of melting lead to fuse copper pipes together. They're not for welding - don't ask for a welding torch or you might burn your face off with whatever they give you.

Now you can walk in there and not have to say "Do you guys have one of those torch thingies? I need one so I can get a good burn for my hookah session."

QUOTE (Skarredmind @ Jun 12 2007, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Calcartman @ Jun 12 2007, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I kinda suspected that that was the case... I suppose the thing that confused me was that I used the same amount of coal in both, but I guess that the smaller pieces burn hotter and faster (that really isn't all that surprising)... Of course the key now is to figure out how to get a good break :-D

Also when I use a single coal I move it around regularly, am I correct in understanding that when I break it into smaller pieces and place them on the very edge of the bowl that I will have to move them less?? I'm not opposed to moving coals, but my hookah is pretty tall and I am pretty lazy (read: I don't like standing up to adjust constantly). I do it because I love my hookah, but if there is a way I can avoid (or minimize) it I'll be a happy camper.

Well, the idea is to put a little bit of heat in a lot of places, which is why breaking it works better, but the smaller the pieces the more active surface area you have, and then you get too much heat.
Thats why i like the japanese style ones, because they are small enough and cool enough (they burn a lot coolers than quicklights) that placing 4 on the corners of a tangiers bowl will generally not require moving them until they go out.

With my medium tangiers funnel bowl with mod, my large and small tangiers normal bowls, i just light 4 jap coals, pop them onto the bowl, and wait until they die.