Diy $15 Hard Case

BravoKilo

Been looking to pick up a case for my hookah... one, to make it easy to take with me camping and on trips... and two, so I can lock it and keep my roommates from using it when I'm not around (HUGE pet peeve of mine angry.gif ). Did some research and didn't hear the greatest things, even w/ the Mya cases so I decided to make my own. Originally wanted to go all out and use a Pelican type case, but the cheapest I found were around $60 for a size I would need, and thats just a bit too much - - compromised and went the cheap route smile.gif

Went with a 19-inch Stack-On tool box from Sears for $9.99. It's basically the same construction as the Craftsman type boxes, but the interior design is a bit better (less protrusions into the interior space giving more usable room) and was $5 cheaper. Basically just pick the size toolbox that will suit your needs. While I dont have any pictures of it, I can easily throw in a couple rolls of coals, and a tub or two of shisha for an all-in-one setup.

Picked up a couple foam sheets from Jo-Ann Fabrics for $3.49 per sheet (2" x 15" x 17")... went with the regular density foam as opposed to the high density stuff. Figured the HD stuff isn't really needed given the durability of the Mya (though it looks nicer), and also figured I'd end up mangling my first attempt at it... which I pretty much did wink.gif

Cut the sheets in half and they fit perfectly inside the box. They also had bulk HD foam that you could cut to your measurements (if your toolbox is larger), but the stuff was a bit expensive, and I wasn't quite sure what size I needed. I put one whole sheet on the bottom to act as a cushion, then cut out spaces in the second sheet to fit all the pieces of the hookah. One thing I learned is to use the most basic shapes possible - - DO NOT try to cut the foam to contour every curve of the base, stem, etc. Even with a steady hand and focused attention, the cuts will look pretty ragged in the end... regardless, the foam still does its job.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures I took - - let me know what you think

So for less than $15 (didnt use the second sheet of foam I bought) I was able to make my own hard case to suit my needs, and it works wonderfully... can shake the case around and nothing moves - - figure if I put another layer of foam on top, it would keep everything in place, even if the case was turned upside down.

I do plan on re-doing the foam inserts come some rainy day. My idea to make nice clean cuts is as follows (someone want to try it out and tell me how it works??):
  • Trace your cut-out design on a piece of cardboard, the size of the foam you are using.
  • Make a duplicate copy of this design on another piece of cardboard.
  • Cut out the designs on each piece of cardboard
  • Sandwich the foam with both pieces of cardboard and compress as much as possible, making sure even pressure is applied throughout.
  • Proceed to cut foam with an electric knife (the kind grandma uses to cut thanksgiving-day turkey)
Im guessing that using the cardboard as a cutting guide, and compressing the foam as much as possible to reduce the thickness which you have to cut through will lend itself to a much cleaner cut, as opposed to what I managed to do with my 12" Ka-bar smile.gif. Next time I'll give it a go with the HD foam and update this post.

This is the type of stuff that makes me glad we have a DIY section... Great descriptions, great pictures to show the final product. Good stuff mang. And this is something that pretty much anyone can do, on any budget.

A+

I saw this, immediately went to sears, and bought one. It was the slightly bigger one, I don't know the dimensions but it was $14.99... I was able to fit the following: 2 hookahs, complete with bases, 5 250g tubs of Hookah Hookah, a propane canister, a portable camp stove, 2 hoses, 2 bowls, 1 box of easy lite charcoals, 1 box 500 sheet cook's foil from Smart & Final, Tongs, 2 ashtrays, and I think that's about it... it's a tight fit but it all fits in there fine! Brilliant.

[attachment=246:Photo_7.jpg]
everything I fit in there... I got it from working at Kirby... anyone who has worked for them knows what I mean Edited by nofrendo