THE WYTEBOY REVIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE HOOKAH JUST GOT HERE!! YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!1
yes math, I work real late tomorrow night as well so I am glad I got it now!! gonna unpack it and light up my first bowl before I go to work!!  I gotta get ready for work and stuff first, but will come back and add my first review before I go.
First review will be Nakhla Strawberry, stay tuned!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so the hookah that came is NOT the sultan from socialsmoke but the other crappy one I shouldn't have bought to behin with....the base is cool looking and bigger than I expected for an 18in hookah...BUT the bowl SUCKS. it looks shallower than I can even possibly describe in words...the whole bowl is like 1/4 in deep or something. doesnt even look like i can put ANY ma'assell in it without having it touch foil, LOL....should i even light up a bowl with this?  also it came with a windcover on the top already and I can't get it off, lol. do you "twist" these things off or just "pop" them off the top?
I knew this thing would suck so i am really glad I already bought the small sultan...but this is worse than I expected...at least I got a decent base and a carrying case out of it, lol. they also sent me a box of ma'assell, "el hennway" anyone ever heard of that brand?  and a box of "vivi coal", "excellent wooden coal" - again anyone heard of them?
ugh.....what to do?

I've heard of vivi coal,  but not the hennway.  They sell
vivi coal at Hookah-Hookah.  It's not supposed to be attached like
that,  the wind cover should just slip right off. 
Infact,  I'm surprised that it came attached in the first
place. 

Is this the hookah that you bought off of eBAY,  and have been SO eagerly anticipating? 

well i've been eagerly anticipating the arrival of both, lol!
so the vivi coal might be decent actually?
I am concerned about the size of the bowl?  should I even smoke it anyway....?  aight math and cypress, just saw your msgs on the left...will light up a bowl in a minute and post SOME semblance of a review....maybe i'll just use 1/2 of 1 coal?

Initial observations:
a) there are a TON TON TON of reallly minute, small stems. maybe only like 3 mm in length, but are there a BUNCH of them. I can't grab any ma'assel without putting stems in.
B) I forget who said it before, but the best way to describe the nahkla (and the alwaha kinda too) is that it is wet and sticky, but sort of a "greasy" type sticky feeling...
c) the bowl is so tiny i could put barely a PINCH of stuff in it...i am sure the foil is touching it...anyway here goes nothin, back in a few...

ok...
SO...first off, this bowl i think is the worst ever.  If I look THROUGH the bottom of the bowl without anything in it, I can't see THROUGH the middle airway hole, meaning it's not a clear air passage.
I don't think I got the coal hot enough...it had gray asha ll over and looked red hot but maybe I should have waited a little longer.  ALSO, to give you an idea of how small the bowl is, i think the bowl itself is 1/4in deep TOTAL and one coal covers the ENTIRE bowl...
i got what i think are 2-3 decent hits, was already a little too harsh for me and I had to hold in to keep from coughing. it tasted sort of sweet and kind of fruity, but not distinctly like "strawberries."  I am going to work in an hr and will be back around 11.  I am gonna try it then again, maybe use just 1/2 of ONE 3kings this time and see if that is any better....the sultan should get here today or tomorrow so then we'll see.
Cypress is sending me some samples and when I send him some of mine back, I am gonna send him this awful bowl (assuming my 2nd bowl coming is a good one) and then he can laugh at what I got and report here from an "expert" instead of a newbie and see if it is as bad as I think it is...
Anywya, I'll post back on here probably around 11:30 and see if a newwer setup works...
At least I got a carrying case and a decent small base....:(

I sometimes let them burn out by themselves or if i am leaving i will
put them in the sink and put water over them. Just make sure the coal
is nice and hot all the way around before putting it on the top of the
foil. Sometimes the do get cooler while on the foil but that is
expected.

ok great, thanks for the tips guys!
I am going to work in 5, but will be back later! gonna try another "bowl" lol tonight with a slightly different setup, see if it works!
The Wyteboy will review later!

Congrats on the first hookah, but it looks like a new bowl is your first accessory purchase am I right?
Whenever you can, put up a picture of your setup so we can see what your working with. It might help everyone help you if you have any questions or problems. Happy Smoking!

I can't post pictures cause I don't own a digi camera yet (I know, I KNOW!)
When I send the bowl to cypress, maybe he can take a pic and post it, LOL!
SO, HERE ARE MY FIRST TWO OFFICIAL REVIEWS ON THE HOOKAH FORUM!!!!!
Review 1: Nakhla Strawberry
a) Ok so like I reported before, a TON of little tiny stems...greasy sticky but pretty wet...seems good, like I know any better anyway?  Smell - nothign like strawberries....VERY fruity and a good smell to it, but doesn't smell like strawberries really.
B) used 2 halves of vivi wood natural coals, one on each side of the bowl.
c) given all the bad reviews on nahkla, the smoke was surprisingly pretty smooth, even for these pretty virgin lungs.  The smoke itself was sort of flavorful, kinda fruity but again nothign like strawberries per se...Smoke density was pretty good, was a decent smoke...I dunno if it was my setup or what but I barely tasted the fruit which is the only real reason I smoke this stuff so I doubt I will be smoking it again.  Cypress, you ready to get 240g? LOL!

2) ALWAHA APRICOT
a) I dunno if I was better at getting the coals hot or packing the bowl or what, but this was a much better smoke.  First off, also very wet, same greasy stickiness feel, but nowhere NEAR the # of stems. Still more I imagine than in the premium stuff, but was better.  Smelled good, but again simply very fruity - not really like APRICOTS.  Set up the bowl and began to smoke it with my friend...
B) WHOA, smoke density!  This smoke was MUCH thicker and smoother than the nahkla. I orginally though the nahkla was smooth and it wasnt bad, but the alwaha smoke was definitely better!  Except the flavor....again not very much. A fruity sort of taste to the smoke, but nothing that detectable and certainly nothing like apricots per se....
I don't know if this is because of my bowl where I can put SUCH little maaseel...I can't even really describe how little was in the bowl...take like the TINIEST pinch of it between your thumb and finger and then cut that in half, that's what i put in my bowl basically...
EIther way, I do not think I'd smoke either of these again.  I still have the alwaha coconut and the 5-star mix (this i have heard great things about so I am excited to smoke it) and after that it will be all Cypress-samples for me while I refine my hookah pallate with some HH and some AF, I absolutely cannot wait!
One other thing, on both bowls when I lifted the foil there was some SERIOUS maassel burnage/stuckage to the underneath of the foil...unavoidable with this bowl and I am surprised both smokes were as smooth as they were with as much of the stuff that was charred on the foil...I guess this could affect the flavor too, but nonetheless I think I ahve realized why these two brands are not widely considered to be very good....
Thoughts on my reviews? SOrry to be so longwinded, just excited I am finally reviewing something!  The good hookah is expected to arrive on Thursday so I am going to take a break from it tomorrow (yes I know, I just got it, but hey!) and then Friday/Saturday I will light up the other two alwaha bowls and see what they do for me...After those, it's all Cypress-ville and I can't wait!
Please give me any input on what I did, or whether you have had similar (or more importantly,) dissimilar experiences with these two brands/flavors...
God I love this forum!!

I also meant to say that the vivi natural wood coals I used seemed extremely odorless and tasteless!  I have yet to use a 3kings, but may use one on the next time I smoke just to see if there is a taste I can detect that now I think I smoked with a pretty tasteless coal...
With the quicklites do you just light it real quick then blow out the flame but blow on the coal til it stops sparkign and becomes red hot?  I have an electric stove so what would I do...?  Thanks!!

Sorry for so many posts in a row but I can't edit a previous one and just add more text..
A few things I forgot:
1) Buzz - Originally off the first 2 hits or so of the nahkla i felt a buzz, but then it went away and didn't come back.  With the alwaha there was little to no buzz the whole time.  Not necessarily bad, like I said I do this more for the taste and relaxation than the buzz...but little to none with both of these smokes
2) Coal question...The coals while smoking were covered in white ash.  Are the coals supposed to basically be covered in white ash?  I tried to knock some of the ash off but then the coal (mainly ash now?) significantly shrunk in size.  Do people normally have to go through several coals in one bowl sitting?  This was only after like 20 mins or so...I heard the lemon wood coals produce very little ash so that should be interesting.  I was wondering about the whole coal/ash thing so any input will help big time, I am used to a place in LA where the coals like NEVER EVER ash but I have no clue what those were.  These coals I used tonight were the vivi natual wood coals.
Ok, I think that's it, now I'll wait for responses :)  LONG LONG work day tomorrow (until 2am) but I will try to get on around 11am before I have to leave.
Much love.

Great reviews 

Now I know NOT to try those flavors.

There's nothing you can do about the white ash,  unless you wanna
be constantly scraping it away.  It doesn't really matter
anyway,  because you're not sucking it into the bowl. 
If,  on the other hand,  you DO scrape it away there a good
likelyhood that you'll be sucking leftover ash that didn't get scraped
away into the bowl,  and that's not good.

Just leave the white ash alone,  you'll know when the coal is
burning-out when the hookah starts producing less smoke.  And the
only time I add another coal is if I've loaded a full bowl. 
Usually I only load half bowls and use one coal,  because often
times when I load a full bowl with one coal,  when the coal goes
out I find that only half the maassel has been cooked.  What you
CAN do is load a full bowl just below the point where it's touching the
foil,  and then use one and a half coals. I find that produces an
excellent amount of smoke.  I NEVER use two coals,  it just
produces WAY too much heat and always burns the maassel.

I don't know anything about Lemon Wood Coals,  I used them once
and didn't like them.  It's simply made of petrified wood, 
and it tends to get REAL messy because you have to break off pieces of
it to add to the bowl.  I thought it was a f***ing pain in the
ass.  Vivi Coals sound real nice,  I'll have to try those
sometime,  thanks for the tip.  Usually I just use Golden
Coals because they're easy to work with,  they light
quickly,  they last longer than most quick-lites out there, 
and they're completely odorless & flavorless.  Golden Coals
are the BEST quick-lites in my opinion. 

The best way to light a quick-lite is to use either a miniature
blow-torch or a lighter.  I like the blow-torch because it heats
them hotter and faster than either matches or lighters.  The best
thing about a blow-torch is that it gets a quick-lite REDHOT all over
within mere seconds.  You're supposed to put the coal on the foil
when it's REDHOT.  Don't put the coal on the foil when it's
heating-up because apparently you can ruin the flavor.  If you
have to use a stove,  then use a stove. But,  my suggestion
to you if you plan on using either 3kings or Golden Coals is that you
purchase a Blow-Torch.  You can get a very nice one here along
with several large butane cans:

www.chefdepot.net/minitorch.htm?

The Messercheftorch for $37.50 is a REAL bargain and a GREAT solution
to matches or a lighter.  I set the torch on it's highest
level,  and I get a beautiful 9 inch flame which heats my coals
completely REDHOT within 15 to 20 seconds. And I'm talkin
R.E.D.H.O.T.!!!    The whole
coal is ready to put on the bowl within 20 seconds,  that's
AWESOME.  It means no more burning your fingers with matches and
no more burning your thumb with a lighter.  Don't think about it,
wyteboy, just go ahead and buy it.  And get yourself around 5 cans
of butane.  They're HUGE cans and will last you a very long
time.  I wish I could somehow convince you to buy this,  it's
the BEST buy you'll ever make in a coal lighter.  And it is
perfectly safe,  as it has a safety button.  Push the button
to ignite the torch,  and let go of the button to immediately put
out the flame.  And the torch stays cool while you're lighting
your coal.  I keep mine right next to my keyboard,  as it
literally takes up NO room at all.

Anyway,  that's my advice for the day,  take it or leave it 

Thanks Math for the advice, but for right now I don't have the $37 to spend on a torch, lol! However I will absolutely keep that in mind for the future!
Heading to work now so I won't be on again til 2am or so, but I am anxious to hear what Cypress or zoohonny or anyone else has to say about my review! :)

Your review are great. You put alot of detail into it and thats what we
like to hear as oppose to just, tasted like peach, smoke was great,
lasted 1 hour. As you try more and more flavor you will start getting
more and more picky as far as what you will like. Keep in mind what
might taste good now might not taste as good later as you try more.
Have a good day at work.

I'm thinking pretty seriously of quitting,  which means wyteboy
I'm going to have to find a new home for my maassel.  I'm not 100%
sure I want to quit because I've been smoking since yesterday
morning,  it could just be that I need a good break.  But if
I do decide to get rid of all this stuff,  then I'll give it to
you.  I've got:

Romman Double Apple,  Strawberry, Lemon,  Peach

and

Hookah-Hookah Apple,  Margarita,  Pineapple,  Grape,  & Cantalope Melon

and

3 boxes (100 pieces each) of Golden Coals

I'll let you know within the next couple days if I'm serious.  I
figure giving this stuff to a newbie is MUCH better than throwing it
all out.

The idea is to quit forever.  That thing HookahCulture said about
smoking too much will cause a sucrose build-up in the lungs kind of
bothers me.  I'm also thinking about giving-up cigars.  Now
Pipe Tobacco is another story.  No, seriously, I think I should
just stop cold-turkey and get myself some nicotine patches or something
relative to that.

Next thing on my list of stuff to give-up is caffiene.  I'm a huge
coffeeholic,  and even my tea has caffiene in it.  I believe
that if I quit caffiene & nicotine intake that I'll feel a lot
better and will be much healthier

No I have to as if you quit cold turkey does that mean you will quit
posting or viewint the forum. I think alot of the urge is when you do
cold turkey that you will read our reviews and you are going to think
to yourself how much you really liked it. Or if its something that you
never tried get a good review you are going to want to try it.

Wow, Mathazar, you sound really serious! And I think you mean it really serious ...Quitting smoking that much is good, you think on your health which is most important. I smoked cigarettes for 3 years. One day I decided to stop because I felt some strange preassure in my lungs while doing sports and I made a big step towards living more healthy ... I quitted from one day to another. I did not had any problems with it - I mean I did not use any nicotine-patches etc.. I just quitted, and I felt so much better! Now I am already 5 years whithout touching cigarettes (maybe once a month - at parties etc. ). I reduced my smoking habbit to 1-2 bowls of Hookah smoking and I believe this can't be too bad.And I am sure I will never stop this habbit due to I love it too much. I still think that every humane beeing has it's personal addiction, and mine is somking the hookeh 2 times a week ...I believe you're strong enough to quit qnd I promise you, you will feel much better afterwards !groetjes, tobbsman