Help Telling Parents About Hookah Smoking

Hookah Joe

Hey everyone, Joe here needing some help. March 25th I turn 19, and I want to get my first hookah, and some accessories. A friend of mine whose Egyptian has a hookah, and I had some apple for my first time. It was amazingly relaxing and nice. I loved the slight body buzz I got, and how relaxed I was. I knew this was for me. I'm worried about telling my mother, whom I live with, about smoking. I'm just worried about telling my mom, and her bugging out/not allowing any hookah items in her house. Any suggestions on how I should go about telling her? She's like a real straight and proper person, and that's why I worry. Edited by Hookah Joe

well, it sounds like your dad probably wont mind and will be glad for the switch to a more legal pastime. as for your mom, id say be comletely up front and honest about it. lay out the facts and maybe show her some of the culture as a social group activity. be careul how much you compare it to cigarettes though, since you are still techinically smoking something and most adamant non-smokers will not be open to trying to convince them of how much "healthier" hookah is than cigarettes. theres no fool-proof way to convnince someone its ok, so i would just prepare yourself for maybe having to smoke outside of your home. it's definitely easier if you dont live at home, but do what you have to do. the key is being completely honest, cause if someone suspects you're being shady they're not really gonna believe anything you say.

QUOTE (camelflage @ Mar 7 2007, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, it sounds like your dad probably wont mind and will be glad for the switch to a more legal pastime. as for your mom, id say be comletely up front and honest about it. lay out the facts and maybe show her some of the culture as a social group activity. be careul how much you compare it to cigarettes though, since you are still techinically smoking something and most adamant non-smokers will not be open to trying to convince them of how much "healthier" hookah is than cigarettes. theres no fool-proof way to convnince someone its ok, so i would just prepare yourself for maybe having to smoke outside of your home. it's definitely easier if you dont live at home, but do what you have to do. the key is being completely honest, cause if someone suspects you're being shady they're not really gonna believe anything you say.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'd rather be honest, then her come home from work one day, and see me outside smoking. I would have no problem with smoking outside, It doesn't bother me. Although, With a window open, my room would be nice too sometimes! Thanks for the help. Hopefully a few other people can comfort me.

QUOTE (tingjunkie @ Mar 7 2007, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Information is power. Research the health issues, know your stuff, and be upfront & honest with her.

But I would quickly edit your post to get rid of the reference to illegal substances before the Mods see it. They are cracking down on that hard right now.

Good Save brotha, haha. You both have given me more confidence.

www.hookahwiki.com has a hookah etiquete guide that you should pick up and print off for them. itll help them understand. there is a history section.

QUOTE (nuschultz @ Mar 7 2007, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
www.hookahwiki.com has a hookah etiquete guide that you should pick up and print off for them. itll help them understand. there is a history section.

Awesome Nuschultz! Thanks alot. And I think I found that last "bad reference" haha. Reminded me of where's waldo?!

Well everyone, About 10/15 minutes ago, I called my dad (parents are divorced) and told him. He was like, I disagree with smoking. He's like, you gotta understand, my 18 year old white son calls me, and tells me he smoked this hookah sheeshum (as he called it, haha), at some egyptian kid's house, and wants to get one now. Well, You can do what you want, and I know you will, even if i disagree. If you lived with me, I wouldnt let you smoke it around the house. I told him I'd rather be in my room, with a friend or two, and the window open. Or, Outside, weater permitting. So, he's pretty nuetral on the whole thing. I'm telling my mom when I come in from work.

You out of everyone should know how your parents would react. Some parents are very understanding and some are complete opposite. Your father seems to be understanding. He disagrees but lets you live your life and the fact that it is just tobacco (not that it's healthy) should make it a very small issue. It is better to come out and say that you smoke shisha because if you don't and they come across the hookah, they will freak out. They will think it's for illegal use and be extremly worried till they confront you about it. If your mother smokes or father, ask them to try it. A few of my friends have done that and now smoke w/ their father or mother. Good luck and hope your mother understands. smile.gif

QUOTE (DownZero @ Mar 8 2007, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You out of everyone should know how your parents would react. Some parents are very understanding and some are complete opposite. Your father seems to be understanding. He disagrees but lets you live your life and the fact that it is just tobacco (not that it's healthy) should make it a very small issue. It is better to come out and say that you smoke shisha because if you don't and they come across the hookah, they will freak out. They will think it's for illegal use and be extremly worried till they confront you about it. If your mother smokes or father, ask them to try it. A few of my friends have done that and now smoke w/ their father or mother. Good luck and hope your mother understands. smile.gif

Yeah, she used to smoke cigarettes. I know, When my father said Sheeshum, over and over, I kept laughing. My mother is straight laced, but when she found 3 beers in the house, and knew they were mine, she made me dump em, and lectured me. I guess she's kinda understanding. I guess im gonna tell her outa all the things I could smoke, this is the least harmful, and the most pleasurable. I think her knowing its just flavored tobacco and legal might help. But, my dad said if she called him, he would say it's a bad idea. I'm gonna tell her that we'll keep it just between us and eddy, and that the rest of the family doesnt need to know( she's big on image.) I'm also thinking if she says no, If i just do it anyway, whether she likes it or not. I want at the very least for her to understand, and I will get her to try a puff. Hell, she WENT to the ORIGINAL WOODSTOCK. It's funny 'cause I know if it was my older brother, Eddy, she would have no problem. Hell, even a little guilt trip would be fun. I'd say that would she rather me smoke something with little harm to my body, or coming home with a pack of cigarettes getting addicted to shit. I guess I'll tell her tomorrow or something.

Hey I'm 19 years old and have been smoking hookah for almost 4 months but I barely told my parents last week. I was just upfront with them and gave them the facts from Wikipedia on shisha smoking. My mom was totally down with it but she's just worried about me doing it every day and getting cancer or something, my father however was a little more skeptical. I showed them my hookah that i had bought and my fathers first words were "So it's a bong" and i had to quarry with him about the differences and showed him the facts again and now they are level with me smoking hookah as long as i dont do it everyday which is find cause i dont anyways. actually my mom has been wanting to go2 a hookah bar for couple of years now lol.

so ya if anybody has this problem of telling there parents i say just be upfront and show them the facts...hopefully they'll comply with you being honest

QUOTE (JonJonello @ Mar 9 2007, 03:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey I'm 19 years old and have been smoking hookah for almost 4 months but I barely told my parents last week. I was just upfront with them and gave them the facts from Wikipedia on shisha smoking. My mom was totally down with it but she's just worried about me doing it every day and getting cancer or something, my father however was a little more skeptical. I showed them my hookah that i had bought and my fathers first words were "So it's a bong" and i had to quarry with him about the differences and showed him the facts again and now they are level with me smoking hookah as long as i dont do it everyday which is find cause i dont anyways. actually my mom has been wanting to go2 a hookah bar for couple of years now lol.

so ya if anybody has this problem of telling there parents i say just be upfront and show them the facts...hopefully they'll comply with you being honest

Thanks man. That's what I plan on doing. I told my dad, and I think he did the right thing. Whether or not he agreed, it's legal, and it IS my life, and my body. I think my mother will be more skeptical. I'll let everyone know how it goes. P.S. Getting a nice, fat paycheck today!