Homemade Shisha

Purdue

QUOTE (a_shimoon @ Apr 9 2009, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (dilatedmind @ Apr 8 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried creating shisha tonight following the apple recipe, i used bugle turkish rolling tobacco, which had a nice mild flavor to it, and smoked ok when rolled by itself.

the apple was chopped, put into a food processor, and then dried on the stovetop. This was then mixed with the tobacco, which had a somewhat damp consistency, at least it all stuck together when pressed. To this I added a small amount of glycerine and mild molasses. The mix looked legit, but when we smoked it, there was no smoke.

Tried removing the apple, so it was just tobacco with a little molasses and glycerine, this produced no smoke at all

Then went back to the original recipe, with the apples, and tried using even less molasses and glycerine, this time we got no smoke at all.

How is it that we can't get any smoke? What are we doing wrong.

The tobacco is too wet. Your apple mixture is making the tobacco damp and it cannot smoke well if it is wet.

hello, this is my first post, but i'm a bit confused reading this, you say that the tobacco can't smoke well if it is wet. however isn't that basically how it is when you purchase shisha? I don't mean to be overly confused and naggy just a confused noob.

thanks

• 1 year later...
[quote name='Purdue' date='09 February 2007 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1171050237' post='103621']
Update!

Got some shisha smoking REALLY well with the following method. Now I just need to work on the flavor [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

Recipe:

50g unflavored pipe tobacco
2 tbsp Arizona honey
1 tsp glycerin
~10 mL Rx flavoring

The key to the tobacco is soaking it before use. I soaked it for 4 days, changing the water daily, to extract the stuff that doesn't taste good. Eventually, the water only changed color a tiny tiny bit. After it was done soaking, I spread it into a thin layer in a bowl and microwaved it until it was dry.

Mix the dry tobacco with the flavoring first. After you've spread the flavoring around to all of the tobacco, add the melted honey and the glycerin. Mix to make it look like normal shisha.

Good news? It smoked REALLY well and was smooth. Like all professional shishas I've tried. Very pleased with this part of the results.

Bad news? Rx flavoring was not meant to be smoked, and even though the shisha smelled amazing, the flavor didn't carry as well as store shisha.

So the plan as of now is to keep doing what I did, only try to get flavorings that carry.

Good luck if you try this yourself!
[/quote]

the only flavor that i've been able to make myself that works well is cloves. they work very very well as a flavoring. and about the honey/molasses--i don't find it very necessary.