Greetings From The Village Of The Damned

jpjp

I live in rural Wales where, it has been said by a student at a nearby toy university (the university is a national joke), "there is nothing but hills, rain and sheep for miles around." I'm in my fifties and look like somebody you'd cross the street to avoid in case he begged you for money for meths or threw up on you.

And I'm a smoker. Every time I move and get a new doctor, I get the standard lecture about quitting. I explain patiently that my problem is willpower - not that I am weak-willed but that I am very strong-willed and I want to f***ing smoke! (this said with a facial expression that indicates the potential for psychopathic violence if the doctor persists in trying to get me to quit) and the doctor never mentions it again. For a long time I'd wondered what a hookah was like but for various reasons never tried one.

For much of my life, I'd never seen or even heard of anywhere in the UK that sold hookahs, or seen a hookah first-hand. I'd seen them a couple of times in films (Barbarella) and TV (one episode of The Avengers), and was not impressed (no exhaled smoke was visible) so never even thought of trying one. Many, many years later the Internet came along and I stumbled across a picture where the exhaled smoke was like cotton wool, obscuring the face behind it completely, and I immediately wanted to try one. But by the time I encountered that picture I had been consigned to the Village of the Damned in rural Wales (I think it must be a punishment for doing something very evil in a past life) where the nearest cinema (that's a movie theatre to those in the US) is 30 miles away. No hookah bars within 300 miles or more.

So I considered the possibility of taking a risk and buying one without ever having tried one, and had a look at ordering on-line. The only places I found were in the US and didn't accept my debit card. Even if they had accepted my debit card the prices were too high relative to my disposable income to risk buying something that I might use once and find I hated it. One day, perhaps...

The years passed and occasionally I looked to see if hookah prices had changed. One day I found Shishapipe which was in the UK, accepted (somewhat indirectly through a payment handler) my debit card, and had prices low enough that I could live with the possibility that I'd use the thing once and then its only function would be as an ornament. I bought, I tried, I loved.