My philosophy Final

Dizzixx

OK so I have a philosophy final coming up and was wondering if anyone knew anything about anything. Any help would be appreciated.
These are the questions-

1.What is the Cartesian method? Explain how it can be used to establish an epistemic foundation. What is the foundation? Finally, present an argument against Descartes "standard of truth".

2.What is the Poverty of Stimulus argument? Choose two potential ideas a rationalist could use with the Poverty of Stimulus argument to object to empiricism. Finally, argue as though you are an empiricist and show that you are able to get around one of the potential objections you stated above.

3.What are the Phenomenal and Noumenal worlds in Kant's philosophy? Explain, with at least three examples, how Kant thinks the two world's are connected. Finally, present an argument against one of the examples you use above and show how it fails to connect the Phenomenal and Noumenal.

4.What is Kierkegaard's understanding of Authenticity? Explain how Kierkegaard views the connections between Truth as subjectivity, the leap of faith, and Authenticity. Finally present an argument against the view that Truth is subjectivity.

5.What is the Dialectical Materialism? Explain, in terms of the proletariat and bourgeoisie conflict, how this view motivates Marx's argument against the viability of capitalism in the long run. Finally, present an argument to shoe that Marx was mistaken.

wow, this is a lot more fun to think about instead of my two papers i'm neglecting at the moment. the following are short answers (obviously)

1. Cartesian method basically says that nothing can be true unless it is clear and distinct (which is why he loves math). he has to start with "i think therefore i am" in order to prove what we experience even exists in the first place. b/c he starts with something simple (existence) he can then start tackling bigger problems. a theory for our knowledge (ep. foundation) can only be started once we prove that we exist, what we experience or observe actually happens (no ultimate deciever), and finally that we can draw conclusions or make some statements about what we observe b/c its not all a hoax.

2. not familiar with the term, but empericists, rely on empirical evidence. in this case it should be that what our sense organs tell us is really happening, so a poverty of stimilus wouldn't work for an empericist b/c without any outside stimulus, the empiricists universe doesn't exist. i don't want to say more b/c i'm not sure of the poverty of stimulus, but i think that's an educated guess. but i guess for arguments for rationalism is the existence of people without senses (reality is still present for someone that is blind or deaf) and maybe the continuation of time after an individual dies (but that could be tricky).

3. phenomenal world is the world of our experience, while the noumenal world is what's actually out there. i'm rusty on kant, but i'm sure the synthetic a priori needs to be in your answer.

i gotta go though, maybe finish this up later.

Dude, I don't want to sound like a dick or anything, but it sounds like you would just like us to answer the questions for your exam. I have a degree in philosophy, and I don't mind helping people out, but what you are asking is for real work to be done by us. How much of these questions are YOU able to answer? How long do the answers have to be? You could easily write 5 or more pages on EACH of them. Parts of them are very basic, and if you paid attention at all in class, you should have the answers with no problem. If you just jacked off for a semester, and now are looking for outside help to get through the final, I can't say I have any sympathy.

Now, if you had gone about this the right way, I may have been willing to help with what I could. Say, for example, "I don't quite get X. I understand A, B, and C, but X is throwing me for a loop." That would have been great. What I see though is a cut and paste of the questions you are expected to be able to answer, and I get the feeling you are at a loss for what those answers might be. Study man!

Again, I'm not writing this to be an ass. I just have great respect for philosophy. It always drove me nuts at the end of the semester when the slackers would descend upon me (one of the few who read, studied, and listened) for help because their books spent the entire semester in a backpack.