about HDTVs

Captain Courageous

We had threads for the new video game systems and such but I wanted to get some more shared info on HDTVs. I had looked upon the Wikipedia site (which is an amazing site btw) to read up on HDTVs but the info that I was looking for just wasn't seen on there when I read over it all.

Each time I go into department stores you see the wide screen HDTVs and often they are playing some movie but the screen has the movie's running screen image stretched out to fit the HDTVs wide screen, making the picture distorted which I hate. What I want to know is these expensive tvs do have the options to have the screen just be normal and not stretched out to fit the entire wide screen right? And while playing videogames can you play them without having to be stretched as well? And the other question I was wondering is when you watch normal wide screen edition dvds would they fill up the wide screen of an HDTV naturaly without having to be stretched out and distorted?

Anyways, if anyone knows these awnsers from personal experiance please let me know here, if anyone has any other questions feel free to post them here or if anyone just wants to talk about HDTVs at all.

Personaly I can't wait to get my hands on a nice huge LCD HDTV here this coming month. I can't stand playing my 360 on my normal tv knowing that it could look soooo much better. I am defenantly gonna save all my money to get a nice one.

got my questions awnsered for the most part at Walmart yesterday that the stretching of a movie upon the wide screen of a wide screen HDTV is actualy just am option that is from the dvd players that play the movies and not done so because of the tvs so that is comforting and I dont feel I would have to worry about if the image of a 360 game being stretched out wider than it should be upon a wide screen high def TV since they are made to be played upon them.

Oooooo nice size too... that is about the size that I am going for. The LCD TV that I picked out up at the local Walmart here is pretty much right at the thousand dollar mark. I really can't wait to start saving up to get it... can't wait to see Gears Of War upon it *licks his chops*

the stretched effect is because the resolution of a dvd movie is 720x480 and the resolution of an hdtv is either 1280x720 or 1920x1080. if you wait a little longer movies in those resolutions will be wider available on bluray or hddvd. the following site has a lot of information regarding this subject:
www.higdefdigest.com

hdtv.. its good stuff but you almost have to buy hi-def everything then for the full experience.
its worth it, but its a lot of money.
i'll probably do it when i get my own house

but as for now.. i'll deal with what i have.
and yeah.. the next gen game systems look incredible on hd screens.
its ridiculous

QUOTE (MN Hookah)
I got mine with the Circuit City financing til 2009 deal.  Anybody getting the external HD-DVD player for the 360?

i`m picking one up as soon as they are released in europe. it`s great value
for money, a standalone hddvd player easily costs $600

so people bitched and moan bout the 600 tag for the PS3 but if you pick up the HD drive, *which only plays Movies* then your 360 goes up to ? OMFGBBQSAUCELAMO 600.......eah........also pS3 has HDMI outputs hehehehe happy.gif but i would go to CC for the no interest for 2009 deal.....GET THE PROTECTION PLAN!?!

you`re right it adds up to $600 if you buy a premium pack xbox 360 for $400 and also pick up the hdddrive for $200. but the thing is with the 360 you have a choice. if you want to play games and nothing more then you could just buy the core pack for $300 or lower on ebay (which i wouldnt really recommend since you`ll have to buy a memory card separetly for about 25 bucks). after the holliday season the price of the xbox 360 will probably drop about 50 bucks (just my thoughts, nothing officially confirmed or anything) because that is how it usually goes.