HI THERE

aliberker

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, Ali!

Coincidentally, it was in Turkey (Istanbul to be precise) that I first started smoking the hookah. If you are in Ankara or some other modern city you might wish to spend some time in an older city where old traditions are still practiced. Istanbul has lots of cafes where hookah is available. There are lots of shops that sell and even make hookahs, in both shops and cafes you can usually find someone to talk nargile with you. The Bazaars are a lot of fun but beware... you will likely end up paying too much for your hookah and smoking supplies.

Currently my setup is a Kahlil Mamoun 4 hose hookah with homemade non return valves so the tips do not have to be blocked for someone to take a puff. I prefer the traditional unglazed bowl with the holes in the bottom and I fill the base with ice and water up to about one inch above the bottom of the down tube. We use large after market hoses because they draw more easily and deliver a bigger cloud of smoke. We prefer Coco Nara or some other pressed coconut charcoal because they burn for a very long time. My favorite smoke is Al Fakher Double Apple, and sometimes we add a little mint flavor to it. We only smoke about once a week due to time constraints and health concerns.

What would you like to know about the hookah? Hookah smoking has a very long history in Turkey and seems to still be very popular there, especially in Istanbul. You should be able to find a lot of information locally.

• 1 month later...