thoughts on death

rxsleven

every now and then i will just be chillin or sitting around with some friends and the subject of life and death, or death always arises in a movie or show. i start to think about what "really" happens when you die and i tend to have a super panic attack. the only thing that scares me is death because it is something i cant control or have no concept of what it is. do you go to the pearly gates? do you burn in hell forever? are you reincarnated when you die and have no recollection of your past life? but when i think of dying i think of being non-existent...no life, no thought, no concept of pain or love...just nothing..kind of like reaching out in the dark and feeling nothing no matter how far you reach or walk.and the worse part is life is never coming back. the whole reason why i brought up this subject is i want to know if anyone else has had similiar thoughts or feelings about death.......and i guess what your thoughts on death are?

and yes, one time i was higher than a kite and had these thoughts and i thought i was gonna die, and it sucked cuz i think life is the shit, regardless of what happens. you can always make it good somehow

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of agree with you. I mean whether or not we go to a blissful paradise or burn eternally or are just confined to our own mind or whatever, the idea of just blinking out of existance scares the hell out of me. Even if our concienceness are just aware of what it's like to close your eyes in a dead silent and pitch black room, the idea of not thinking anything at all just freaks me out.

I just wanna make the best life I can for myself, so I would have lived it to it's fullest when that day comes. I don't like to waste my time dwelling over death. But all of us, every single one, will find out sooner or later.

So there are my two cents worth. Have a lovely day. Edited by Shavo989

word. everyone believes in something differant, but everyone believes in death one way or another. i think as long as we are remembered on earth it doesnt matter what happens after death.i mean itd be cool to chill with some angels, and just be like....so, u wanna suck on my hose?lol(sry),and what not.but w/e does happen after words i doubt its in any sort of material world at all.w/e man...lemme smoke.lol.

Death always scared me. Never liked talking about it. The main thing is not being existent, thats the thing that freaks me out. Some people say life sucks, some people say life is great, but without it its going to suck :P

I remember at an early age, I would get these thoughts and have panic attacks. Fine thing for a 4-year old. I spent a lot of time fretting over it. I've read a lot of takes on it. I'm starting to finally get to the bottom of it... Or I think I am/hope I am, and really hoping that if I have it wrong, God doesn't crush me for it. You have to remember I was raised as a "semi-non-practicing Baptist." That means it was always lectured to me in one way or another, and fear of God put in me at an early age. The Baptists have a fine way of scaring the crap out of you at an early age. You start thinking of God as someone to be dreaded. But like any sane, rational person, I always wondered if it's all true. Or should I say accurate? I don't think the Bible can be ignored completely, as there are similarities in different cultures and religions. Take for example the ancient Sumerians: They had the same Noah's Ark story in their culture. And we're talking what B.C? Haven't studied my Mesopotamian history in many years, but I remember that was a damned long time before any recorded concept of a "single God." Forgive me. I know there is a term for this, but I'm not thinking to sharply this morning at 5 AM.

It's always made me wonder how anybody can accuse other religions of being "hell-bound" as the Baptists do. They even think of Catholics as being hell-bound. Hell Georgie Bush thinks Catholics are hell-bound. But, how do we know that there is "something, or anything after we die?" We hear reports of the "white light" when we start losing it. I knew someone who experienced it at one time. And I've heard scientists explanation of it before: The "white light" is just are brain closing down and tends to create a white dot on our vision receptors, like when you turn off an older T.V. Gee, how convenient for someone so educated to compare our brain (something most admit they can't figure out entirely) to a T.V. See what too much Government funding does? Come on guys, this is the greatest unknown in history, ranking up there with what happened to Howard Hughes. Nobody can know for sure. Especially the religious wing nuts who think everyone who isn't in their club is burning in Hell. If that's the case, heaven sure must be a lonely place, full of people scared of their own shadows. Read DR Joseph Murphy. He makes you feel somewhat better about the God concept.

So, what do I personally believe? First, there is no Hell that has burning, fiery pits, with snakes and chains and pools of acidic vomit. If this were the case, who could honestly love a God who claims he loves you, but only on HIS own terms? He would be like Saddam Hussein. Right? Women would be nothing more than 98.6 degree baby making machines. Our only existence would be for singing gospel hymns and constantly getting haircuts. It would make no sense to have intelligence beyond hunting, making babies and going to church. So, I believe in some kind of creator, but not what gets programmed in our brains at an early age. We were not meant to be held down in loathing fear of our own shadows. or as Ian Anderson puts it so eloquently: "To lick the spoon of death born out of fear." All these loathing fears and rules were created by kings and governments to keep us in line. Something is responsible for our creation, as something is inside of us. We have too much electricity going on inside. This is energy. WE are energy. So, there is something out there who sparked life in us. Energy came from something, and it's too intelligent to be a result of evolution on its own. Is there evolution? Why not? It only makes sense to evolve, but it can't be the reason for our intelligence compared to the simple house cat. We can agree alligators and cock roaches are among the longest running species. Why don't they build things? Why did they never find the need or desire to cook meat? Why don't their females look hot? Why don't we have the need or use for a second thumb on each hand? Maybe it would be more useful? Masturbation would be even funner. Talk about a shot of [i]strange.[/i] :lol:

So, if there is this energy in us, will it actually die? I've never heard any educated person say this energy dies. It doesn't just die. If that were the case, then there would be nothingness for sure. No. Something happens. I tend to believe in a higher plane, where our energy regroups. I believe the Bible is mistranslated. I believe it was written by wise people, as a guide book for ones spirituality, but abused by governments who want you to behave according to their plan. I almost believe hell is on earth. We get sent right back here to do it again if we screw up here too much. Each time we come back, we leave a better person the next time. I also believe in spirits. I have personally witnessed paranormal phenomena. The kind where you aren't alone, but with others, and you look at each other and say,"What the flip what that? You saw that too, right?" Things go on a higher plane when that energy is released after so-called death. Some believe this higher plane is only a few fee above and parallel to our plane. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but something happens after the day comes. I'd love to chat about it, but I have a trip to make to Oklahoma today. Wish me well as I don't want to find out theses answers first hand.

MR Bubble

i have to say that i agree with you mr bubble. i have to say that i dont "always" have these kind of thoughts about death but it seems to be that i freak out whenever im enjoying life the most. i enjoy bein around friends an family and the fact that death is going to take that away from me freaks me out and to think that i take life for granted. i feel like an asshole for making such a small deal out of trivial and juvenile things. when i come to these conclusions i tend to have a better outlook on life and tell everyone that i appreciate them. i recently had an accident on a motorcycle and to make things worse i was wearing a skull cap and speeding to get to work on time. i went completely sideways back and forth, basically fishtailing every which way that it wanted to go. and i thought to myself after i only sideswiped a car, what would have happened if you hit the pavement? my brains would have been all over the floor, and thats only if all the other cars managed to miss the head that was planted on the pavement. when my dad heard of the accident and came to get me(cuz i wasnt about to drive that motorcycle again) i broke down and thought about how selfish i was, and how much of a bitch i had been acting towards everyone that meant anything to me. i guess the experience made me realize that everyone is self centered and makes a big deal about anything and everything that bothers them. not to be offensive to anyone but just about anyone is self centered. whether you think you are or not. i live life at a fast pace, but try to treat everyone as if there someone. because maybe you might make that persons day if you treat them with the kindeness and respect that you would expect to receive. live every day as if it was your last day, because i have personally experienced what it is to meet your maker, and its not pleasent. aint no white light, aint no flashing memories. just your ass sitting in a hospital bed waking up from an accident, so doped up on morphine and painkillers that you cant think.

There is a story where "they" say that if you have a dream where you fall off and cliff and hit you will die.
I always want to know who "they" are so I could ask "them" who had lived to tell "them" what it was "they" dreamed about that caused "their" untimely deaths wink.gif
Think about that one a minute guys.

hope in a wonderful heaven is a perfect belief to impress on people like slaves and the poor because it keeps them in there place. They are told just wait until you die then youll be the ones in charge. If they didnt have this, the "downs" and such would have risen against the "ups" to try and make the only life they actually get more pleasant. Saying the meek shall inherit the earth is exactly what the meek want to hear because its a promise they dont have to work to get. Rather than standing up and making something of their lives they can meek out a mediocre existence hoping that god will reward them in the end.

QUOTE (SanguineSolitude)
hope in a wonderful heaven is a perfect belief to impress on people like slaves and the poor because it keeps them in there place. They are told just wait until you die then youll be the ones in charge. If they didnt have this, the "downs" and such would have risen against the "ups" to try and make the only life they actually get more pleasant. Saying the meek shall inherit the earth is exactly what the meek want to hear because its a promise they dont have to work to get. Rather than standing up and making something of their lives they can meek out a mediocre existence hoping that god will reward them in the end.

wow......you think man, bravo. i never even thought about that passage. that makes all the sense in the world. and yes sonthert, i would not mind being a part of something. pretty much what we are right now if you think about it hard enough. whos to say we pass up the grain of sand theory...to say we are a universe contained within another and another and etc.

I have always thought about death alot... have always been interested in it. I always thought about it more so when I was younger... through the years of 16-21 or so... guess because I was deeply depressed through most of thoes years in my life.

I still think wonder about death today... it will always be interesting to me since we can never know what is true until we pass away ourselves.

I am 25 now, less than a year ago I had a very strange experiance that stretched out for days until the third day or so I had a complete believing that I was infact dying that day... that I would be dead after a matter of minutes. Throughout thoes three days I had I guess what they call a "fragmentation of time" to where time doesn't make since at all to the point that I seemed to be slowed down and the rest of the world I thought was sped up to where moments for me would actualy be months. At one point though it all came to a complete conviction of my dying. I was so scared at first since I was having vivid visions of what my death would be and it was very gory... I saw and completely believed that my body was about to be ripped apart if I walked into the next room, that it would be slow and that once it started that I coulden't do anything to stop it. I had the visions over and over and each time I had the grip of fear shock my body like the way your nerves stand on end when you almost get hit by a car or if you were to stand by a train at a railroad crossing and imagine it plowing through you... it was terrifying. But standing there in the kitchen of my appartment having my premonitions of dying and that time would stand still as I stayed in the kitchen until I walked into the living room, passing a point in time to where my body would be torn apart as it came back into the currently passing point of time. After about ten minutes of thinking, having my recurring visions and writing some last words out I was no longer scared and walked into the next room and layed down upon the floor accepting my passing... but it never came. To this day I of course don't know why that happened. I wasn't on any illegal drugs or anything. But I had been taking alot of caffeine through energy drinks thoes days and right before my beliefe of dying I was smoking shisha... but I am not completely sure either one of thoes drugs were the cause of my experiance.

I like to believe in destiny... and I like the thought that with our promised destinies, all our memories that are to come to be are already inside us but we just cannot make connections to them just yet because our minds need something as physical as experiancing it as our passing and present moment in time to be able to believe it... and that mabie my belief of my dying was my becoming connected to that memory inside of myself that I am promised to one day live out... and becoming connected with it brought me the beliefs that I was actualy dying.

I have alot of thoughts on life but most I won't bore others with writing of them here but recently I had my daughter pass away. She wasn't of my blood but she was my daughter to me. Her name was Baby Giz and she was a guinea pig but I love her more than I love any human in my life... I cared for her more passionatly than any of my past lovers. Just because she wasn't a human doesnt mean that she doesnt have a soul like us and to me she was far more innocent and pure. Fuck I am all cying now while writing this again. She passed away about two weeks ago. To me that was the only time I have ever seen anyone die. I never wanted to see her die. After she passed I was so scared. I cried and petted her hoping that she would move... that she wouldent be dead. I kept trying and trying to see a response from her... but she never moved, never blinked and later that night I had to bury her... and the most heartbreaking thing was to have to pick her up because of how her body felt... only then was I willing to accept that she was infact gone. I cried for days straight. I am not able to cry like that these days but still do. It hurts too much to even think of the details of her passing. All I know is that we are all gonna die. We are promised it and if we are promised it how can it be bad? I think it only scares us because all we know is life really and that it is so unknown to us... but I know everything will be alright.

Death is death. simply put, i don't think it is anything more than nothingness, complete nothingness.

Heaven and hell are simply comfort tools to allow the mind to ease the idea that at death we are no more. we no longer exist. it is a complete cycle, before we were concieved we were nothing so why would it be any different at death? I don't believe in seeing a light, or hearing voices or going to the pearly gates.

If there is a god and there is an afterlife, then i think that'd be spectacular. I consider myself a logical person and it does not seem rational to me that every person who has ever lived is chilling in the afterlife in some heaven place or being punished with eternal damnation.

I don't have any major issues with death. Why ponder about something that no one will have real solid answers for?
I mean... look at life. Can you explain reality?
Of course not. We never experience anything real.

In a sense, we don't exist as it is.
We do. Just not the way we believe we do.
So why bother with death when you never really live.

I think that is a good theory about not really living but I don't believe that myself. I feel that I am truly living. I hae many moments in my life that I wouldent trade for anything ya know? I think the most meaningful and worth while part to existing is feeling our emotions and I do think it is worth our time to wonder about death every now and then because it will happen and well to me it does interest me ya know? Sure we can never truly know the awnsers but why would your want to be bent on never thinking of it at all? It's not like we think of it that much anyways. Shit most people spend all their time thinking about MONEY right? How pointless is that?? I think life is amazing but I dont think that is all that there is. That is a stupid thought to me honestly... I don't want to offend anyone who thinks that life is everything but I think that there is more to us once our bodies that we have now grow old and die. But for now I believe that our embodiments of flesh are only vessels for us to be able to experiance life.

i would have to say i disagree with you pboyle. where in any sense of logic do you beleive we dont exist. i mean, if we didnt exist then how in the fuck do we demolish and change everything around us?....even if you beleived we were in some sorta matrix, we still exist. in any other theory we exist. humans have changed the world around us, i would say for the worse. if you look at what our world is coming to then you will see that its not too far from ending. look at all the corruption, famine, resources being depleted. i mean shit, china is supposed to use all of their natural resources and overpopulate the world in every country in 30 years. they are growing at such an enormous rate that our world is going to collapse if we dont find an alternative to burning our resources. so if we are not alive, then how is it that we are effecting everything around us? if you consider yourself to not be alive then you must be a very misguided and depressed person.(no offense) i guess at one point i used to think that i knew what life was all about and how short it really is. but through accidents and near death misses i now feel i really do understand. and i was nieve to think that life is short. it is a blink in time, your life could end and when you actually die, in those last moments, i highly doubt you will regard yourself as someone who wasnt living. cherish what you have, look at what you have, and i guarantee you might feel that the world isnt so bad after all, and that life is great, even if you have a couple of hiccups here and there.

I worried about it as a kid. I don't really think about it anymore.

Option 1:
I'll rot in the ground.

Option 2:
I'll be reborn as someone else.

Option 3:
I'll go to a wonderfully pleasant/terribly awful afterlife.

In option one and two, I wouldn't know I was dead, so it wouldn't matter. Option three could potentially suck a little in theory, depending on what belief you take. My wife was raised LDS, so maybe I'll get some brownie points for that.

I have my own thoughts about death. If there is some kind of afterlife, I'm almost positive that it doesn't exist in anything close to the classical sense. Something more along the Hindu lines of becoming one with god (i.e. everything) makes more sense. No real physical, individual, and/or independent existence kind of thing.

Personally, I've been atheistic most of my life. In the past year or so I've gotten some agnostic leanings. Either way, I'm at peace with life. I'm not afraid to die.

@James... that sounds nice what you said about mabie we become one with everything and that we arent individuals then and I hardly ever think about that but I like that. I have believed for a long time that there is a very real possibility that we are all one. With my daughter having passed away and with my missing her so much I would love to one day become one with her soul. I long to see her again. I hope that wondering of possibility is true. It would be amazing. More amazing than life.