Sorry, I don't know where this goes!!!! Help with computers?

Kitty

I am trying to get my camera software installed on this computer, as my computer is lost in my storage unit! I have to install a generic USB software, and I need a certain program to open the install program, and I don't know what it is and it's not telling me. I'll post a picture of the folder with the files, and maybe someone can tell me what program I need? Sorry, I know this isn't the right place for this, but I couldn't find an 'off topic' area...

well if u can tell me the extension i can more than likely tell ya. Ill bet its either winzip or winrar, but could be something else.

If you have Windows XP, then to view the extentsion, just go to your Control Panel, and go to folder options. Click on the 'View' tab and uncheck 'Hide Extensions For Known File Types' Should let you see what it is. Let me know and ill try and help.

[quote name='EvansLight']well if u can tell me the extension i can more than likely tell ya. Ill bet its either winzip or winrar, but could be something else.  

If you have Windows XP, then to view the extentsion, just go to your Control Panel, and go to folder options. Click on the 'View' tab and uncheck 'Hide Extensions For Known File Types' Should let you see what it is. Let me know and ill try and help.[/quote]
There you go, I'm betting on WinZip or WinRar also, but there's so many different programs out there it's hard to tell without more specific information (also, I'm not exactly a computer whiz).
When you find out what program you need, you can most likely download it from www.download.com

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/Rattenburg/camerafolder.jpg[/img]

Did that work? Does that tell you guys anything?! Lol. I'm usually pretty quick with computers, but I'm completely lost here!

I see the problem, you're using windows 98 ;)

It looks like a driver file you can't touch.
Go to the control panel - device manager. I think its just called device manager in 98. In XP/2000 you open Control Panel - System - Device Manager.
Then go to add hardware.
Plug in the USB camera.
When it asks for the drive, show it that file.

If I misunderstood, and the entire USB port is not working, then just go to device manager and find Universal Serial Bus, right click properties. Hit update drive (or add/repair/whatever driver, the button changes words; just not "roll back driver"). Then same thing, point it to those files.

Hopefully that helps!
-Cal

Glad you got it worked out. And don't be sorry for making a thread in the wrong section. People do it all the time, and its not a big deal. We're now just starting to move the off topic threads to more appropriate sections (an ability we wern't able to use in the past) in order to keep the forum more organized. Now you know.

We will be adding more forums/subforums when the forum gets upgraded, but for now, we basically have the general hookah section, and a serious discussion section. Enything that isn't hookah related can be posted in the serious section for now.

I'm going to leave this thread up for now so you can see it, then I will just move it to the serious section.

[quote name='Kitty']OMG! I think it's working! I lost hope because nobody was posting! If this works, I could kiss you! Lol.[/quote]

Glad to be of help! :)
Computers are what I do haha