Learning coco nara coals?

I've recently been trying out coco nara coals, I'm so used to the quick lights but wanted to try something new..however I can't get them to produce alot of smoke and I feel like they die so quickly..ive tried using 2 and also tried using 3. I have a large bowl, just a standard Egyptian clay bowl..i want to use them more but I feel like I am wasting them by experimenting! Does anybody have any tips?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I never had success with coco-coals til I started using a Lotus Bowl. I think the main difference is having something on top to keep the heat in. 

If you use foil, you probably just need to make a good incubator for the coals.

Also, are you lighting both sides of the coals? I might be wrong on this front, but I light my coals on a hot plate, heat til one side is red, repeat, then apply. 

Hope at least one of the things I mentioned helped you out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Are you sure you're packing right? Or maybe youre not letting your coals up heat up until all the black is burned off. Cause then when you blow your coal, it turns red. I've NEVER had a problem with too little smoke unless the coals were gray, looking like they already died out. 

• 1 month later...

Too me it sounds like you are not lighting them fully.

I use Coco Cubes almost exclusively... it takes about 10 minutes to light them, 5 min then flip, then 5 min again. I get at least an hour out of them with thunder clouds and I never touch the coals with the exception of adding a windcover around the 50-60 minute mark to milk out all the heat!