RIP, Steve Irwin

DizzyGuy

[quote name='takita787']it was a risk he knew he had to take.[/quote] Ahahah... I find that hilarious. Though the actuall incident really makes me upset.The whole thing was there was statistically no risk. There have only been 17 people to have died from a stingray strike. Only one person to live from being struck in the heart. He swam over a large ray and as it passed him it struck him into the chest piercing his heart and introducing it's toxin directly into the heart. The chances of that happening are REAAAAAAALLY low - there was no percievable risk, which is why it's so tragic.If he had been killed by a crocodile, people would just say, "Duh." But he died in a very unusuall way with little reason to expect such an occurence. Crickey.

as much of an idiot i thought the guy was, he wa sthe kind of idiot id imagine somehow living to 110 years old. still, i truly admire his passion for wildlife and the environment, and i am glad he got to go out doing what he loved.

^^ lol what an ass, but yeah it was pretty sad, not to many people have the balls to do what he did which gives him respect in my book, they have video of the whole thing but its up to the family to release it and i doubt they will

Apparently deadly attacks by stingrays are uncommon, but deadly stingray wounds are very common. Once you piss them off, they frequently kill. Also in the ray family is the electric ray. Also related to rays are skates and sharks. They are all predatory and carnivorous. Goes to show you, brother, you roll the dice enough times, you will lose.

yeah, you ever seen eddie murphys raw? he talks about playin craps with his dick and crappin out after to many rolls lmao, ok sorry to go off topic. but from my understandin he wasnt doin anythin to em, maybe im wrong but i thought he was just swimming haha

"Surf Lifesavers national marine stinger adviser Lisa-Ann Gershwin said there had only been 17 fatal stingray attacks worldwide." Obviously lots of attacks... but the venom isn't that toxic ususally - getting stabbed in the heart will do it though... : I know you're saying deaths related to stingray attacks, but wikipedia states it a bit differently -"Fatal stings, such as that which killed Australian naturalist and television personality Steve Irwin in 2006 (sting to the heart),[2] are extremely rare. As of 1996, worldwide known deaths from stingray barb injuries numbered 17.[3] As of 2001, there was only one documented instance where a person survived a stingray injury to the heart.[4] In the case of stings to the heart, it is the site of injury and the nature of the wound that prove to be fatal, not merely the venom of the stingray."[url="http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html"]http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.htmlNot saying the person they're quoting the article is correct - but I would assume that such a person would have their statistics straight.[url="http://www.slsa.com.au/default.aspx?s=news...le&id=413"]http://www.slsa.com.au/default.aspx?s=news...le&id=413[/url][/url]That's the same organization that the first article sites - a bit more clear, but I dunno.

[quote name='shimshamsam2']not getting stabbed in the heart by stingrays.lol[/quote]It's not really clever or funny. It's lame that he died in the manner he did. There are certainly funny jokes that can be made, but that's certainly not one.

[quote name='DizzyGuy']Yup, he's dead.  And by a stingray, too.  Weak.[/quote] I want to drag that stingray behind my car through the streets of Iraq or Beirut or some place like that.EDIT: So whos gonna be next? Chuck Norris dying from choking on a pretzel...pfft. Did you hear...Steve Irwin wasn't even AFRAID of Chuck? Yeah...Irwin had what equates to an accidental lobotomy when he was a kid that destroyed his sense of fear.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Tangiers']How about Mel Gibson being killed by a menorah?[/quote] I can dream can't I?I remember reading somewhere that Steves last words were actually "Crikey" as he pulled the stinger from his heart which actally killed him.Now if thats not oddly appropiate, I don't know what is.