Khalil Mamoon Amer

stryet

I bought mine from Twang (thanks bud!) and it came with a Tangiers Large Phunnel (thanks again!). It's definitely the KM Amer, just a little used, which might help y'all know what kind of pipe this may turn out to be.

Style: 28" KM Amer--the same one from Hookah Company.

Stem/Tray: The stem is really sturdy with the brass core. The core is really straight, unlike my other hookah, and wide. There's a little bulb at the end, which I'm now using as a point of reference for my water level. Typical Egyptian styling. There looks like some slight rusting on the outside--nothing really noticeable, and definitely does not affect the pipe's performance. This means the outside CAN rust, but nothing too horrible. There are some really nice engravings on the hose connector (KM logo) and the tray rest. It has a purge valve sealed with a black ball bearing that looks like it could be modded. Like the others, the tray has a little sliding room. It's really large, which helps me to ash the coals from the phunnel.

Vase: Clear frosted Egyptian bell with blue and gold accents. This thing is huge, and that's one of its minor flaws. The stem extends to just below the vertical part, which causes me to fill up almost the entire wide part. It does helps with stability, but on first glance, I wish it extended a bit deeper. When I started it up, however, there was more than enough room for smoke to collect. It's just a pain to try expensive (wine / juice / red bull) base mixes.

Accessories: Honestly, the grommets that came with it were really poor. I don't know if the all come like that, but Twang set up some awesome electrical taping where it connects to the vase to make it extremely airight. I took it off and re-taped it to make it a little looser. Unlike my junior, there is no rubber part that sits on the rim of the base, which I think really makes a difference in the airtightness (the weight of the body keeps it tight). I'm probably going to buy a new grommet set. As for the hose, its the really nice leather KM one. This thing hits like a dream. It's really effortless, nice weight, and you can barely taste any flavor accumulation, unlike my new mya hose, which tastes like a hose. It does cause the base to tip a little, but new grommets should fix that. Besides, I plan to get a Nammor soon. Tongs were rusted (used), so I used my stainless.

Over All Impressions and Final Thoughts:
I'm really happy with this hookah. As my first tall Egyptian, I never knew I could take hits so cool and refreshing without moving the coals, but that also might be because of the phunnel. Nevertheless, my first session was really relaxing and flavorful. Even for a used hookah, this thing looks like it will last a lifetime, with just some proper grommets. With proper grommets, it would be perfect. I'll be reviewing my first encounter with the phunnel soon, so look out for that. If you're going to buy it new, I would. If you're going to buy it used, I would again.

Pros:
- Very well made.
- Hits like a dream.
- Brass core means no bad rusting.
- Large tray.
- Leather hose tastes better than my mya.

Cons:
- Downstem is kinda short (not too bad though)
- Needs new grommets.

• 2 months later...
KM Amer

I wanted to wait a while to smoke out of it so i could give a great review.

First of all, the base is very tick, and very large, and very wide. It's nearly impossible to tip this bad boy over. It stands pretty tall, 28", and isn't too bad on looks either.

I expected the stem to be heavier, it's pretty light for a brass core, my Mya stem is heavier. The solders are all solid and in-tact. Hookachcompany uses those Mya Expandable Grommets for the vase-stem grommets, and they work absolutely perfectly.

One thing i noticed was that my KM hose fits into the hose port without a grommet, and only has a tiny air space. I fixed this problem by using a silicone hose grommet i have, placing it with the wide side on the outside of the tip of the hose-port, so the smaller part of the grommet is facing out. I then put the hose in normally, and the silicone grommet keeps it completely airtight.

The Amer is a traditionally chambered hookah, with two holes. The smaller hole leads to the purge valve, the larger (than normal) hole leads to the hole. I get a very easy and large draw with this setup, and the KM hose.

This piece is very easy to clean using a single stem brush. The vase takes quite a bit of water to completely rinse, but that's not a problem.

The vase takes quite a bit of water to fill for a smoke, and there is a line on the vase to where i fill the water that is perfect.

Also, the signature KM bulge on the downstem is present. The purge valve on the outside is uncoated brass, a gold color. It works extremely well. The solder on the downstem is solid.

I give this piece a 10/10. A very nice, easily affordable hookah, backed by the legendary Khalil Mamoun name.