How To: Diy Grommets

Stro

While continuing the eon-long battle to seal my homemade canister hookah, I discovered a cheap, simple, and oddly effective way to seal ports and other openings.

The answer? vinyl tubing.

I had a few feet of the stuff leftover and building my hose, and I found that cutting a short length, shaping with a razor blade (use the blade like a planer), then finally wrapping around the stem of a hookah and using hot glue to secure it in place is an ideal way to solve your problems. The hose I used had been treated with hot water, so it was already soft and malleable, perfect for sealing a bowl to a stem.

Sorry if this is common knowledge, I didn't see it on the forums and I felt like the information should be there for those in need.

Happy smoking =)

Hm, to be honest I didn't think of that. The hot glue I used to secure it probably isn't too healthy for the lungs either when heated.

Good point, it doesn't taste like anything is different with the smoke, however it could very well be a tasteless gas. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='Stro' date='28 March 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1269836102' post='460360']
Hm, to be honest I didn't think of that. The hot glue I used to secure it probably isn't too healthy for the lungs either when heated.

Good point, it doesn't taste like anything is different with the smoke, however it could very well be a tasteless gas. Thanks for the heads up.
[/quote]

Much better way to do this is to go buy a rubber stopper at Lowes or Home Depot in the size you need and drill out a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of your stem so that it stretches over rather than just sliding on (which would mean it would slip once weight was added). Cost is still under a dollar.