I Just Joined The Army...

Mirus

I would have to say congratulations. This is a very difficult choice to make for anybody. They all said this, but I will say it again. Start running. Be proud that you are serving you and your country. So keep your nose clean and you'll do just fine. I wish you lot's of luck.

• 4 weeks later...
My advice may not be as relevant now. I went to basic in July of '01 and a lot of things have probably changed. I didn't work on PT at all before I left. I figured I was young and healthy and I'd progress fine in the training environment. When I got to reception I couldn't even do 1 "real" push-up. So I really struggled with the physical training due to not preparing at all. I had to take the final PT test three days in a row to pass basic training and that was only at the 60% or whatever. So my advice is to make sure you are definitly working on it before you leave no matter how fit you think you are.

There's a lot of classes to take in. Sit straight up in your chair, don't slouch. If you feel like you're going to fall asleep, stand up and stand at attention in the back of the class. The drill Sergeants and instructors will know exactly what you are doing. You don't want to be the one caught sleeping! lol

Don't lose any of your equipment or gear! Always keep it secured too. People like to steal at reception so never leave it lying around or give anyone an opportunity. I had several items stolen from me and that's how the Drill Sergeant learned my name the first day I got there, lol. I look back and laugh now but I wasn't too happy about that at the time obviously. Also make sure you keep that stencil they make of your name and social. It really comes in handy.

Don't think too hard about home or anything beyond that day. I tried to stay in the moment as much as possible and take things as they came. It helped keep my stress down and it made the time go by a lot faster.

You're going to be breaking in those boots too, so picking up some moleskin and other blister supplies is recommended. I made sure I used foot powder religiously. Blisters are the number one health concern in basic. I'm not sure how they expect you to maintain your boots now, probably just make sure they are generally clean... I was in back when we had to shine boots... :P

Um, that's all the advice I can think of for now.

Running is the big thing.

Once you're in the military, and you adapt to running, you can get very unfit and lazy and still pass the fitness test. There is a mile wide fucking chasm between "PT" and "Exercise".

Plus, there are many ways to get E3 off the bat. Are you an Eagle Scout, or do you have some college? If you can go in with a guaranteed E3, don't volunteer for shit, because it doesn't benefit you in any way shape or form. Let the E1's take the bullshit jobs, they may get E2 or E3 out of it. Or maybe not.