Has Anyone Ever Gotten An Msds For Hookah Charcoals?

Just wondering....I'm curious about some of the chemicals in the coals, especially quicklights and japanese style coals....so I was wondering if anyone who's tried to get an MSDS from a manufacturer has had any luck.

Thanks. Edited by mustang_steve

Smartbutts. It's a Material Safety Data Sheet....you usually get these when buying stuff for commercial use, it indicates what substances are of note in it, the ones of major interest are the combustible agents and oxidizers.

It might explain why some coals smoke and smell more when igniting than other coals.

shouldnt the msds just show the corrosiveness which would be 0 the flamibility which would be 1 and health affect which would be 1 or 0. it would probably include something about ingestion to induce vomiting and something about smoke inhalation in a closed area. id look for a ingredient sheet over a msds

Nah, the MSDS is a formalized document, usually at least two pages. The Quadrant is for labelling and quick reference uses (such as spills/fires). The forms are more for the employee health and safety guys so they can keep track of the amounts of dangerous goods in any given area.

The Quadrant is what you see at the workplace books, the document is what's kept on the computer or in a filing cabinet near the book of quadrants.

I've spent enough bored workplace hours in that filing cabinet to know what the real deal looks like...forgot all the fields though, but it tells quite a bit. It makes an ingredients list look like cliffs notes. Edited by mustang_steve

I think China uses International Chemical Safety Cards, not MSDS. Either way, our Federal regulations only require manufacturers and importers of hazardous chemicals to generate MSDS sheets and to provide them to their employees. Employers are required to keep MSDS sheets for chemicals they require their employees to handle. IIIRC Tobacco and wood products are on the exemption list anyhow so I'm pretty sure a coal maker in China that exports their finished coals to the US is not required to provide a MSDS for them. You'd be better off just finding out what kinds of chemicals would be used to make quick lights and searching for MSDS on them yourself.

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Sep 28 2009, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just smoke it.

Smoke the coals?? shok.gif

• 7 years later...

How can i get MSDS CERTIFICATE for Hookah/shisha Charcoal??? I mean whether it is same for Hookah charcoal category or I need to submit sample of hookah charcoal for laboratory testing to get MSDS CERTIFICATE.?????

• 3 weeks later...