Glycerine And Veg.glycerine

Deadlegend

So i was out looking for glycerine the other day, i found two pharms that had it, and one health food store that had actual vegatable glycerine. The vegatable was about twice the price of the plain glycerine.

I asked one of the pharmacists if there was a difference between the two. He said that there wasnt. I told him what i planned on using it for and he said using the glycerine from the pharmacy would be fine.

I still wasnt too sure so i asked the other pharmacists at a different store, and she said that it wasnt ok to use.

I figure the community here probably has actual experience with it, so is there a difference? Would using refular glycerine be ok?

The stuff i want to get is this:
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/30/39/51...196_500X500.jpg Edited by Deadlegend

• 2 months later...
The difference is where it comes from.

Some types of non-vegetable glycerine are byproducts of soap production that comes from the animal fats used.
Here's the important part: "[glycerine] is also is a byproduct of the production of biodiesel via transesterification." which is the process by which vegetable oil is refined into biodiesel. The vegetable oil is sometimes recycled oil, which means it may have been used at your local McDonalds to fry up those chicken patties. Ergo, it carries certain impurities, most of which are removed.

"Vegetable glycerol on the other hand, is glycerol produced as a byproduct of refining of cooking and salad oils, and various brands (e.g, NOW) are sold to the retail market as "Pure Vegetable Source" glycerin, 100% pure, safe for ingestion."

Now, I'm not sure that just because vegetable glycerine is sold as safe for ingestion means that regular glycerine is less safe. It could be a marketing thing.

Without evidence to the supporting regular glycerine as safe for consumption, I'll stick to my vegetable glycerine.
Besides, I'd rather not be smoking that which has already been used, even if it is refined.

• 2 months later...
USP grade vegetable glycerin is good to use, but like was mentioned the Now brand veg. glycerin is 100% pure.

I use Now brand V.G, and I  also use Propylene Glycol.
plus I add a couple drops of LorAnnes flavorings

I've done this with dried up tobacco,  (actually left over tobacco from my bowl that was still good, just dried up a little),  and actually made the dry tobacco better than it was originally, it had better taste, and more smoke, burned great also.

I let the tobacco sit wrapped up overnight before smoking it.