Homemade Plumber's Hookah

Punx Clever

I made a very similar looking vase several months ago....make sure you clean it really good before using. One of the guys on here warned me that PVC has tiny little plastic particles all over that are not good to inhale. sure enough, I inspected the PVC I was using and saw what he was talking about

Also, make sure all the materials you used are safe for you! Otherwise, cool!

Lead free solder, no glue on the PVC. Cleaing your PVC after cutting/during assembly is SOP. Would have like the base to be 2" copper... but all they had was 10 foot sticks, about $118/stick I think. But really, everything is the same as the pipes in your walls.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Aug 5 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please be careful with the copper. It is considered dangerous to smoke out of it. Read the third post here:
http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=14563

The real question is... what temperature does the stem reach? Copper tubing is the de-facto material for hot water lines in households today, at least coming from the water heater (and inside of it for that matter). Hot water from your water heater should be around 110 to 120F.

Considering that the copper is in contact with water in that situation, much, MUCH more copper would be dissolved into the water than any reasonable gaseous medium. Take into account that you drink/eat that same water, and I don't think there is a problem.

Another interesting situation involving copper, high temps, and consumption is alcohol. Cooling processes involved in the production of alcoholic beverages all use copper in temperature ranges at/near/above the boiling point of water (212F) and involve a strong solvent (alcohol). Again, I'm not too worried about smoking out of it.

I do appreciate your concern though

QUOTE (Punx Clever @ Aug 5 2009, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please be careful with the copper. It is considered dangerous to smoke out of it. Read the third post here:

The real question is... what temperature does the stem reach? Copper tubing is the de-facto material for hot water lines in households today, at least coming from the water heater (and inside of it for that matter). Hot water from your water heater should be around 110 to 120F.

Considering that the copper is in contact with water in that situation, much, MUCH more copper would be dissolved into the water than any reasonable gaseous medium. Take into account that you drink/eat that same water, and I don't think there is a problem.

Another interesting situation involving copper, high temps, and consumption is alcohol. Cooling processes involved in the production of alcoholic beverages all use copper in temperature ranges at/near/above the boiling point of water (212F) and involve a strong solvent (alcohol). Again, I'm not too worried about smoking out of it.

See, that is what I was thinking. Both that copper piping was used to phunnel water through a house and that copper was mentioned to be unsafe on the board here. Not sure what to think. BUT, I went to lowes today and they now carry this stuff called PEX that is a plastic much like PVC, but can be used in place of copper because it can withstand freezing temps all the way up to 200 degrees. Supposedly Europe and other countries have been using it for years, but it is fairly new to the US. I am thinking about making a thread about it....I think it is the material I am going to use for my handle I am going to make for my hose.

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Aug 5 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Punx Clever @ Aug 5 2009, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See, that is what I was thinking. Both that copper piping was used to phunnel water through a house and that copper was mentioned to be unsafe on the board here. Not sure what to think. BUT, I went to lowes today and they now carry this stuff called PEX that is a plastic much like PVC, but can be used in place of copper because it can withstand freezing temps all the way up to 200 degrees. Supposedly Europe and other countries have been using it for years, but it is fairly new to the US. I am thinking about making a thread about it....I think it is the material I am going to use for my handle I am going to make for my hose.

It's not that the copper seeps into the water, but that at higher temperatures copper can release toxic fumes. Copper poisoning is deadly.