Carbon Filter Attempt

Roaringram

So this girl I knows got a beach house for the week in Malibu and decided to throw party after party, and one night I decided to take my chiller with me (bad call) and as we're carrying it into the house, my buddy drops it and the vase shatters... so after some searching the garage not only did I find another chiller stem, but I found a suitable container that works surprisingly well for the base while I wait for the replacement for the other stem.

And after reading someone's post on carbon filters I put together something in a few minutes...

You can kinda see it at the bottom... now before I put the coal on, it seemed it like it would work alright, the pull was definitely harder than usual tho. But, after a little bit I put the coal on... the pull became so hard it wasn't even worth smoking... but for the little bit it did work, I would get bigger clouds than normal, but I'm not sure if that was from the carbon, or the fish tank filter bag I used that created a diffuser effect.

Anyone have any suggestions for ways on improving the carbon part and the pull??