Stereo components?

I need to tap this potential gold mine for advice. I'm looking to get rid of my P.O.S. Sony 5-disc CD player for something that sounds better. My system used to sound great when I had a cheapo Technics player (oh, back in 1991) and after it died, I got the Sony. I've never liked it, as the highs seem to be muted and the mids sound like they're playing through mud. So after 10 years, I'm upgrading components. I just picked up a new receiver and am so far impressed by it. I'm after the most revealing highs and mids I can get for under $500. I like to hear stuff that I've never heard before. In other words, no matter how embarrassing it may have been for someone, if it happened in the studio, I want to hear it! I'm one who is slightly biased toward treble, but not ear-splitting treble.
Oh, by the way. Speakers are JBL 4312B monitors, Receiver is Harman Kardon HK 3480, CD player S.U.C.K.S.
I've been looking at Marantz, Adcom Azur series, and NAD. All are single dedicated CD only players. I'm also an old school 2 channel guy.
Anyone here into 2 channel sound?

MR Bubble

Me! I used to have two 1200W monoblocks (Carver hybrids). Now I have an 800 and 1200W stereo power amps by NAD going into an NAD Preamp. I have a Sony 400 disk CD and a Sony 400 disk DVD player. My speakers are 8 Paradigms with a powered 15" Velodyne sub. I love my 400 disc Sony! I hear Pioneer's 400 disc are good, but I also heard they were discontinued...I can't say.

Good God Tang. Trying to earn a reputation around the neighborhood? Me? Just no need for me to go beyond 120 watts. Half way up and the animals seek cover. Just looking for a single CDP, as 400 would be a little excessive. I don't even own 400 CD's. Well, I'm sure if I were single, I sure could achive it in a year's time. I lost all my LP's in a fire in 1991. Since then I've been trying to replace them all in the CD format. I was finally able to replace the one that was the greatest challenge. But I am able to purchase a disc maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Once married there are 3 words that leave you vocabulary:
1. Fun.
2. Relaxation.
3. Enjoyment.
4 Money.
Well, I know I said 3, but I meant 4. So there. Factor kids into it and the word: speaker leaves your vocabulary too. My woofers have tears in them. I refuse to let go of the speaks! I plan on having them reconed some day, but they still sound great, believe it or not. I understand they put a 40 pound driver in for the lows. I have a feeling they would still play with a spear rammed through them. Anyway, enough of my rambling.
I 've always heard great things about NAD amps. I've also head good stuff about their CDP's. As far as speaks go, I really have no idea what is out there these days. Where I live, if it isn't in Walmart (surround system in a box) you'll never get to audition it. All I know is this: MRS Bubble has given me a small winow of opportunity to upgrade my amp, which I did, and I have a feeling another window is about to open for the CD player upgrade. I need to be able to act decisively when it comes!
Anyone else out there with opinions?
MR Bubble

I own a NAD218 amp and their C160 pre amp wasn't to impressed with their cd player went back to sony 5 disk changer I also run it thru Acoustic Energy speakers good sound even at low volumes all tone and treasures come out

Hey Mr. Bubble - I've got a Technics 5-CD changer that's about 6 years old that I'm not using if you'd like to purchase it Seriously, I have no use for it anymore. it still works, I just never use CDs anymore. It's back in the original box and has a remote (which I bought later from Technics - it had support for a remote but didn't come with one; they made I believe three different models on the same basic platform and I got the cheaper no-remote version). I believe it has both optical and coaxial digital outputs as well as regular old two-channel analog, but I'd have to check. Right off I don't remember the model number, but it's on the box.I'd take $30 for it. UPS Ground shipping would probably run around $15, but I'm not sure.

Buford, you're tempting me, but I'm about to have another window of opportunity by the MRS. She started to tell me to order the Cambridge Azur 540C, then the phone rang and she got side-tracked before she could spit it all out.
[url="http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=CAMB540CS&product_name=Azur%20540C%20CD%20Player"] http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productd...il.asp?sku=CAMB[/url] 540CS&product_name=Azur%20540C%20CD%20Player
I'm having a hell of a time talking her into this one though:
[url="http://www.axiomaudio.com/m80ti_main.html?1071%5b/url"]]http://www.axiomaudio.com/m80ti_main.html?1071[/url]://http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/p...n.html?1071
But guess what? Being retired military, I get this pension check each month. See what I'm shooting at? I could just go ahead and do it and she would never know, well, until the damned thing/things showed up. THEN I would have a heck of a week ahead of me. The good o'l shish-nazi would strike again! ANd the Stereo Nazi too. Gotta love her....
MR Bubble

Done now. Hehehehe, this should be fun.
I'll finish paying off her new kitchen set, then order the Axioms. I'll post a picture of her expression when that happens.
Been just great knowing you all.
MR Bubble