Lipstick Diffuser

Genie

While I'm sitting around waiting for my new Bambino hookah to arrive, I thought I'd try making my own diffuser. I've never had my own hookah, I want to be able to fully grok my first home hookah experience. Hence, the need for a diffuser. But what is the diameter of the downstem on the Bambino? No idea. I don't even know what's average.

I decided to tear apart an old tube of lipstick I had to make these two diffusers. The blue one has an opening of just under an inch and the white one has an opening of just under half an inch. I'll be absolutely thrilled if one of them fits the Bambino without the addition of tape to attach it! They're ugly, and I still have to scrub the white one a little more to get off a few traces of Maple Syrup lipstick, but that's okay, I've got at least three more days to wait before my order arrives. It will give me something to do!

If I want to double the diffusing power here I can shove the white diffuser into the blue one.

I made the holes using an ice pick heated over a gas flame. Hubby had run off with the Dremel tool... again. Argh. Anyway, I kept a thick, wet rag handy to wipe off the plastic that stuck to the ice pick, otherwise it burned and stank as I repeatedly heated it. It melted through the plastic very easily.

Nope, they aren't the least bit pretty. Hope one of them works though!

We'll see... if it works. Like I said, something to do while I wait. I'm completely obsessed with hookah surfing while I wait for my order to arrive. I can't even think straight!

QUOTE (lowspeedchase @ Jun 9 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like a tampon diffuser...

lol j/k man, cool work!

My initial thought, "How would that work? Could you do that?" I mean, others were talking about a cork diffuser so.... but then I realized it was a joke. Still, some tampons come with plastic, um, inserter thingies. If the diameter was right, I'd try it!

Genius that I am I was testing putting the white tube into the blue thingie and got it stuck. It's in the freezer now, I'm hoping I can get it out after it cools down a bit. That's okay, if I can't get them separated and they don't work well stuck together as a diffuser, I have plenty more lipstick tubes lying around. But, man, it was such a bitch to clean all the lipstick out! Guess I should have stuck to the hotel shampoo bottle design.

What?! Maple Syrup lipstick? That's bizarre. huh.gif

I hope one of them works for you

Yeah, weird name for a pinkish red lipstick. Had to break the blue one to get the white one out! That's okay, the blue one was the easy one to make. I can make another one in five minutes. The white one was a pain. Gotta wait to see how big the downstem on the Bambino is though. I'm kind of surprised I can't find specs on it anywhere.

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 9 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (lowspeedchase @ Jun 9 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like a tampon diffuser...

lol j/k man, cool work!

My initial thought, "How would that work? Could you do that?" I mean, others were talking about a cork diffuser so.... but then I realized it was a joke. Still, some tampons come with plastic, um, inserter thingies. If the diameter was right, I'd try it!

Genius that I am I was testing putting the white tube into the blue thingie and got it stuck. It's in the freezer now, I'm hoping I can get it out after it cools down a bit. That's okay, if I can't get them separated and they don't work well stuck together as a diffuser, I have plenty more lipstick tubes lying around. But, man, it was such a bitch to clean all the lipstick out! Guess I should have stuck to the hotel shampoo bottle design.

Heck I would try it to. I'd just have to mentally convince myself it wasn't an applicator.

First thought when I woke up: Hey, dummy, how's your new diffuser going to fit over the end of the stem? Don't they all flare at the end? Ah, well, lots of things to poke holes in around here.

APPLICATOR! Could not remember that word to save my life yesterday!

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 10 2009, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First thought when I woke up: Hey, dummy, how's your new diffuser going to fit over the end of the stem? Don't they all flare at the end? Ah, well, lots of things to poke holes in around here.

APPLICATOR! Could not remember that word to save my life yesterday!

hahaha that's scary because I don't even use tampons... for obvious reasons lol...

My downstem in the mya doesn't flare at all.

hahaha that's scary because I don't even use tampons...

You're just not trying hard enough!

Excellent! I found a sample shampoo bottle with a small neck and opening, even if I have to tape it to the downstem, it won't take much. And I can poke holes in it with a thumb tack, no heating the ice pick. Very easy. Now, if the thing would just arrive!

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 10 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hahaha that's scary because I don't even use tampons...

You're just not trying hard enough!

Excellent! I found a sample shampoo bottle with a small neck and opening, even if I have to tape it to the downstem, it won't take much. And I can poke holes in it with a thumb tack, no heating the ice pick. Very easy. Now, if the thing would just arrive!

Awesome... pretty intense that you are so on top of this and your hookah isn't even here yet! You must be amped yahoo.gif

Awesome... pretty intense that you are so on top of this and your hookah isn't even here yet! You must be amped yahoo.gif

Yeah, I'm a total spaz over the whole thing. I've been wanting one for a month. I have only ever smoked a hookah once in my life (the 13th of last month) and have been craving it ever since. Good thing I've never tried substances I'm not allowed to discuss on this forum, I'd be an Amy Winehouse clone. But, then, at least I'd be thin!

I'm already thinking I could probably carve a kind of vortex bowl out of jicama, I think it would be sturdy enough and perfectly safe to use as a bowl. I steamed an artichoke earlier and an image of it as a hookah bowl actually went through my mind. Artichoke smoke, ew.

Amped? Obsessed!

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 10 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'm a total spaz over the whole thing. I've been wanting one for a month. I have only ever smoked a hookah once in my life (the 13th of last month) and have been craving it ever since. Good thing I've never tried substances I'm not allowed to discuss on this forum, I'd be an Amy Winehouse clone. But, then, at least I'd be thin!

I'm already thinking I could probably carve a kind of vortex bowl out of jicama, I think it would be sturdy enough and perfectly safe to use as a bowl. I steamed an artichoke earlier and an image of it as a hookah bowl actually went through my mind. Artichoke smoke, ew.

Amped? Obsessed!

Damn! Guess you just have an addictive personality. nana.gif Cooking up fruits/veggies and imagining them as bowls - that is classic. You've definitely got the itch, going to feel amazing to scratch it!

What shisha did you get?

Damn! Guess you just have an addictive personality. nana.gif Cooking up fruits/veggies and imagining them as bowls - that is classic. You've definitely got the itch, going to feel amazing to scratch it!

What shisha did you get?

Yeah, I'm way on the addictive/impulse-actions side of things. I can barely stand the wait, every time a car drives by I look up hoping it's UPS. Although I'm not sure how my order is being delivered. The po box was nothing but a vast empty space when I checked it earlier. Today is too soon for the order to arrive anyway.

You'll be so disappointed, I ordered a bunch of Saalaam and Hydro Herbal stuff--I worked too hard to get off nicotine only to get hooked again. With my personality being addicted to the ritual of smoking is bad enough, but being chemically dependent on the smoke itself is downright dangerous!

Of the Saalaam, I got cherry cola, tiramisu, chocolate raspberry, and spiced chai. Of the Hydro I got Java, Tropical Storm Mango, and Hydro Flower Power Rose. And, for very special and rare occasions I got AF Rose. The two freebies that came with the hookah (might be Nakhla, not sure) are apple and mixed fruit.

What turned you on to hookah? Do you use a diffuser?

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 10 2009, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What shisha did you get?

Yeah, I'm way on the addictive/impulse-actions side of things. I can barely stand the wait, every time a car drives by I look up hoping it's UPS. Although I'm not sure how my order is being delivered. The po box was nothing but a vast empty space when I checked it earlier. Today is too soon for the order to arrive anyway.

You'll be so disappointed, I ordered a bunch of Saalaam and Hydro Herbal stuff--I worked too hard to get off nicotine only to get hooked again. With my personality being addicted to the ritual of smoking is bad enough, but being chemically dependent on the smoke itself is downright dangerous!

Of the Saalaam, I got cherry cola, tiramisu, chocolate raspberry, and spiced chai. Of the Hydro I got Java, Tropical Storm Mango, and Hydro Flower Power Rose. And, for very special and rare occasions I got AF Rose. The two freebies that came with the hookah (might be Nakhla, not sure) are apple and mixed fruit.

What turned you on to hookah? Do you use a diffuser?

I know how that wait is... when I check the UPS tracking page and it says it's "out for delivery" I sit at the office just completely unable to work... just reading and posting on here until it arrives at my place, then I leave early and get it! I feel like a kid when I am unboxing the stuff lol!

I'm not disappointed, no worries. To each their own. I've never really been addicted to anything, but if you had a rough time getting off the nicotine, better to stat away from it... except for those special AF Rosey occasions of course girl_devil.gif wink.gif

I've tried Hydro and I like it a lot, probably the best herbal out there IMHO.

I tried Hookah for the first time in Israel a few years ago... I was there for work and some people I had met took me out to a Narghila bar... it was awesome... Bought one the same night and have loved it since.

A diffuser is a MUST! It really helps filter the smoke and cool it down more. It's like night and day, I definitely rock one. Hookah.gif

I'm not uber cool like you though, I just bought one. What hookah did you get?

I know how that wait is... when I check the UPS tracking page and it says it's "out for delivery" I sit at the office just completely unable to work... just reading and posting on here until it arrives at my place, then I leave early and get it! I feel like a kid when I am unboxing the stuff lol!

It's killing me. I'm a wreck, I can't get anything done. I'm just all over the hookah forums reading up on hookah technique. Wish I had a hookah to smoke while I waited! I didn't get a tracking order so I don't have that to comfort me!

except for those special AF Rosey occasions of course girl_devil.gif wink.gif

My first hookah was first an uninteresting grape, then a very interesting jasmine, and finally a stimulating rose (probably AF but I don't know) and it was so amazing. That thing it does to your tongue? I have to have that!

I've tried Hydro and I like it a lot, probably the best herbal out there IMHO.

The reviews have been good, so have the reviews on the Saalaam. That's why I ordered some of each. Have you tried the Saalaam too?

I tried Hookah for the first time in Israel a few years ago... I was there for work and some people I had met took me out to a Narghila bar... it was awesome... Bought one the same night and have loved it since.

Awesome! Does the shisha taste very different in Israel?

A diffuser is a MUST! It really helps filter the smoke and cool it down more. It's like night and day, I definitely rock one. Hookah.gif

Some people don't seem very impressed with it, but more people to seem to really like it so..... thought I'd go with the majority!

I'm not uber cool like you though, I just bought one. What hookah did you get?

Uber spaz, maybe. And cheap. I'd have ordered one, actually, but The Hookah Store didn't have any and I didn't want to pay a bunch of shipping for it somewhere else. From THS, I ordered The Bambino, on Les' reccomendation. Nearly had myself The Witch because I liked the idea of using any bottle I pleased. Read the reviews on it after I ordered and realized it was a piece of crap. Les was very cool to change my order for me pronto pronto.

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 10 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's killing me. I'm a wreck, I can't get anything done. I'm just all over the hookah forums reading up on hookah technique. Wish I had a hookah to smoke while I waited! I didn't get a tracking order so I don't have that to comfort me!

Comfort? hah! NO WAY. It sucks... instead of just wondering where your order is, you know EXACTLY where it is... you end up walking in circles, cursing the hell out of a ups driver you have never met before!

That thing it does to your tongue? I have to have that!

You're going to have so much fun banan-hit.gif color me jealous!

The reviews have been good, so have the reviews on the Saalaam. That's why I ordered some of each. Have you tried the Saalaam too?

Wish I could compare the two, but never tried Saalaam... I'm sure it will be good though!!

Awesome! Does the shisha taste very different in Israel?

They like drier shisha over there... it hits a little harder... or maybe that was due to my lack of experience at the time smile.gif The cool thing is how popular it is there... you go to a hookah bar and your with like 500 other people all smoking and drinking and socializing... amazing time.

Some people don't seem very impressed with it, but more people to seem to really like it so..... thought I'd go with the majority!

Those people are crazy. It's physics. It's science. It works!

Uber spaz, maybe. And cheap. I'd have ordered one, actually, but The Hookah Store didn't have any and I didn't want to pay a bunch of shipping for it somewhere else. From THS, I ordered The Bambino, on Les' reccomendation. Nearly had myself The Witch because I liked the idea of using any bottle I pleased. Read the reviews on it after I ordered and realized it was a piece of crap. Les was very cool to change my order for me pronto pronto.

The Bambino is perfect. 10/10. I'm putting it out to the universe that you should get your order immediately... hope this helps tongue.gif

Comfort? hah! NO WAY. It sucks... instead of just wondering where your order is, you know EXACTLY where it is... you end up walking in circles, cursing the hell out of a ups driver you have never met before!

Good point. And here, if the delivery guy doesn't have more than a few packages to deliver to our rural town, he just waits a day or two until he has more. That will send you into orbit!

You're going to have so much fun banan-hit.gif color me jealous!

Aww, wanting to feel like a hookah virgin again, you know, for the very first time?

Wish I could compare the two, but never tried Saalaam... I'm sure it will be good though!!

Have read nary a negative word about it, maybe one or two die-hard tobacco sheesha-ists who said it sucked. For the most part, even the tobacco sheesh lovers swear they'd pay for it and smoke it for pleasure.

They like drier shisha over there... it hits a little harder... or maybe that was due to my lack of experience at the time smile.gif The cool thing is how popular it is there... you go to a hookah bar and your with like 500 other people all smoking and drinking and socializing... amazing time.

That's awesome. Hm, in a place where people have been smoking hookah for hundreds of years I'm not surprised it's "a little harder." I mean, they're quite used to it, they don't need our mild stuff.

The Bambino is perfect. 10/10. I'm putting it out to the universe that you should get your order immediately... hope this helps tongue.gif

Wow, cool, I hope you're a good manifester! Thanks!

Aww, wanting to feel like a hookah virgin again, you know, for the very first time?

Hell yes.

Wow, cool, I hope you're a good manifester! Thanks!

Hell yes x2. You will get it soon and will be on cloud 9. good.gif

oh and p.s. rural town? That's crazy... I have hiked through small towns but never lived in one.

Hell yes x2. You will get it soon and will be on cloud 9. good.gif

And clouds 7, 9, 10, and 11 if I can get 'er smoking right! Can't wait to fill up some soap bubbles with smoke for the niece and nephew, they'll be delighted.

oh and p.s. rural town? That's crazy... I have hiked through small towns but never lived in one.

The rural life has a lot of advantages, but getting food or packages delivered isn't among them.

Bubbles with smoke is awesome... very awesome...

Damn you are driving me nuts... now all I can think about is hookah... I'm leaving the office and hitting the beach, gotta get this off my mind. Hope yer happy ;-)