Homemade Wind Cover

[attachment=3595:0518091548.jpg]

Made this out of a couple pieces of ducting from Lowes. Its got a 4" elbow and a 4"-3" reducer along with some random parts I had lying around for the handle. It is 14" tall and as you can see, dwarfs Ryno's thumbs up.

QUOTE (AKammenzind @ May 19 2009, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't be 100% from the pics... but there's a damn good chance that's galvy my man, and burning that shit can kill ya. Nice work, hope it's all aluminum.

I'll have to check the labels, but either way the windcover shouldn't get hot enough to be an issue. Its my understanding that the issues with zinc occur at temperatures incurred while welding, which even if the coal was touching it it shouldn't be an issue. The coals are only what, 300-400 degrees F. Galvanized steel is considered safe to work with up to 392 degrees and a windcover should never even approach that temperature, although the concern is much appreciated. MSDS sheets say that the coating won't release fumes until 800-900 degrees. For what its worth, brass also has plenty of zinc in it - we never bat an eye at using that in hookahs. Food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...