Table Idea, But With A Problem

Ayrity

So I have a kick ass round table I want to turn into a hookah table. I have made some hookahs before, and always made them come out well. Here is my problem: I want to have the "base" be a thick clear tube of either plexiglass or acrylic, and I want the tube to be sticking out of the table vertically, and have the hose plug into the top of that, so that the user can see the bubbles travel up the tube and maybe put some blue leds behind it too. So here is the issue, how do I make sure that this tube doesnt act like a straw and just suck up all the base water? I just want the smoke to bubble through and up to the hose, when I get a chance, I will attach pictures of the table and my drawing of my idea. thanks everyone!

Ya, I was thinking the same thing, do you think a 2 or 2.5 inch diameter is large enough?

For the base or the hose? I was thinking you should keep the extension the same diameter as the hose.
Just make sure its pointing up. I made a hookah and the hose port had like an extension that was 3 inches away from the water and when I pulled hard I could feel the waters bubbles get inside the hose.

QUOTE (Ayrity @ May 14 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I have a kick ass round table I want to turn into a hookah table. I have made some hookahs before, and always made them come out well. Here is my problem: I want to have the "base" be a thick clear tube of either plexiglass or acrylic, and I want the tube to be sticking out of the table vertically, and have the hose plug into the top of that, so that the user can see the bubbles travel up the tube and maybe put some blue leds behind it too. So here is the issue, how do I make sure that this tube doesnt act like a straw and just suck up all the base water? I just want the smoke to bubble through and up to the hose, when I get a chance, I will attach pictures of the table and my drawing of my idea. thanks everyone!

If you want the hose to bubble, then it must lay under the water level. Even with a big diameter hose this is still going to create hard to pull hits. When pulling the hose you will first pull water untill the water level equals the hose port and then the air/ smoke will come. With a large enough hose the air will break the water tension but still for the first part of the hit it will act like a straw.

How important is it that the water bubbles inside the hose?

I guess not that important ha, but i thought it would look really cool! any alternative ideas? I would love for it to be really stylized and look like it was working, like be able to see it working somehow...

QUOTE (Ayrity @ May 14 2009, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess not that important ha, but i thought it would look really cool! any alternative ideas? I would love for it to be really stylized and look like it was working, like be able to see it working somehow...

Push the water level above the table and light it up. You can still see it bubble and the bowl has to be above the table anyway. Have the hookah sitting on a lazy-suzan so the entire thing spins. Basically, to me any table purely dedicated to hookah is cool looking. Right now my hookah table doubles as a foot rest / empty beer holder as I watch tv on the couch....

I will get pictures soon I promise, but heres what im thinking, even if i cant have it bubble up through exterior tubes, I want this to be THE hookah table, I am looking into both a built in coal lighter (maybe a counter sunk stove coil, maybe a butane lighter button) and a built in refrigeration unit to keep the water cold, with copper coils inside the water filled base. any ideas or comments? *edit for spelling, Im drinking gin and tonics here what do you want from me? at least I proof read...ha Edited by Ayrity

QUOTE (Ayrity @ May 18 2009, 02:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will get pictures soon I promise, but heres what im thinking, even if i cant have it bubble up through exterior tubes, I want this to be THE hookah table, I am looking into both a built in coal lighter (maybe a counter sunk stove coil, maybe a butane lighter button) and a built in refrigeration unit to keep the water cold, with copper coils inside the water filled base. any ideas or comments? *edit for spelling, Im drinking gin and tonics here what do you want from me? at least I proof read...ha

The gin explains your ambition in undertaking such a massive project wink.gif