Flavour Issues

what up everybody
first post. from reading the various forum posts, ive noticed a fair few of you are from the states - i'm from melbourne, australia. i discovered shisha while living in dubai.

alright, so...i'm finding that im not getting much flavour from my tobacco. its grape flavoured al fakher, and i keep it in a "cool, dry place" and in an air-tight container. as far as i know, im not packing it too tight in to the head. i've got a single hose hookah, and its pretty good quality...but recently i put a small rip in the hose with a knife by accident. i duct-taped that shit up, and i think thats alright too. no smoke escapes.
i generally just put nicely chilled water and ice cubes in the base, with no other 'ingredients'. i have cleaned everything out a couple of times.
i use a single coal on top of a single layer of foil with some randomly poked holes. its pretty hard to light, but it is a dedicated shisha coal. comes in a black, cylindrical foil holder, maybe about 10 coals, with red writing on the packet.
so, can anyone suggest why im getting little to no actual flavour when i smoke?
thanks alot! cool.gif
peace

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (baseone-melburn @ Apr 24 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what up everybody
first post. from reading the various forum posts, ive noticed a fair few of you are from the states - i'm from melbourne, australia. i discovered shisha while living in dubai.

alright, so...i'm finding that im not getting much flavour from my tobacco. its grape flavoured al fakher, and i keep it in a "cool, dry place" and in an air-tight container. as far as i know, im not packing it too tight in to the head. i've got a single hose hookah, and its pretty good quality...but recently i put a small rip in the hose with a knife by accident. i duct-taped that shit up, and i think thats alright too. no smoke escapes.
i generally just put nicely chilled water and ice cubes in the base, with no other 'ingredients'. i have cleaned everything out a couple of times.
i use a single coal on top of a single layer of foil with some randomly poked holes. its pretty hard to light, but it is a dedicated shisha coal. comes in a black, cylindrical foil holder, maybe about 10 coals, with red writing on the packet.
so, can anyone suggest why im getting little to no actual flavour when i smoke?
thanks alot! cool.gif
peace

ok mate sounds like you got everything going for you but i discoverd this trick on youtube is by adding a spacer to my bowl which lifts the heat source from the shisha give better flavor vs getting a burnt taste or only after smoking for a bit then getting flavor from half the session after it dried out a bit but still that burnt taste kinda sucks. use 30 mm coals (prefer 3kings brand charcoal) the 40 mm coals are too hot for a small/med bowl. as far as the spacer just fold foil over and over to a long strip about one inch - 2 inches in with then rap it to a circle shape and just notching it to keep its shape. put in the bowl to just fit the bowl on the inner chamber. then load and cover with foil. i've also noticed smaller holes vs larger work good so a needle vs the poker on the tongs. then enjoy. it does take longer to start in a way but flavor is kept through the session.

you can also try a defuser which i mentioned in another post. but all the above has made it much more pleasurable for me. also brand makes a huge diffrence sometimes. not all the time but with certain flavors... oh yeah! try it out and let me know if it works for ya biggrin.gif

• 5 weeks later...