Purge Valve Questions

cargo

Okay so I'm making my own hookah, and I have everything i need or an idea of everything i need except two things. One what kinda of hardware do i need for a purge valve, I was at home depot for like an hour but couldnt quite find something fitting with a bearing in so any ideas on what they are called so i can look for it next time i'm there. Two I remember reading a topic where a guy had a quick release for his house what kind of equipment would i need for that. And i know i said two but another quick question what did people that put adapters straight into glass use to get an air tight seal?

thanks for anyones help and I'll post a new topic when i finish the hookah. smile.gif

purge valve = one way valve

about making an air tight seal...i would use electrical tape, though someone who made a hookah actually found some kind of tape that worked much better...i believe it was heat resistant tape of some sort too.

a quick release home seems kinda ridiculous i mean if it gets stuck in your hookah someone might accidentally knock it over, whereas if it just fits in there like a normal one it would pull out saving your hookah.

Another thing you can do for a purge valve is pick up a bike tire valve stem. If you take out the metal valve (they unscrew with a special tool or just a pair of pliers) a bb or a ball bearing will fit perfectly in the valve stem. Then you drill a few holes in the cap and you have a working purge valve. To mount it all you need to do is drill a hole in your stem or base and pull the valve through just like you would on a bike rim. You can also get nice decorative caps for it.

on my homemade, I took a clicky pen with a shiny clicky part that can screw off. Then I took apart the pen, got the little tube with the ridges and the clicky screw cap and modified it so that it fit through my stopper into the chamber.

Now to purge it, all I do is unscrew the clicky pen tip a little bit. Its airtight, easy. and it looks nice and shiny : ) I can unscrew it with my left 2 fingers so its not a pain to unscrew.

Also, that bit about making it airtight, I've never used it but I hear insulating tape is nice and thick and works like a charm.

• 3 weeks later...
Also if you are using something that screws and want it air tight.. Use water threading.. It is usually a pink ribbon and can get at a local hardware store.. If it is water proof it is airtight. Works for my water cooled computer.

Just go to lowes and look in the compressed air section for a Brass Drain Cock. It looks great, epoxies or screws in for a great seal, and has a nice simple turn to open/close operation.
Here is a pic of one: