Science Hookah

twotwntytwo

This may have been posted up before...but I wanted to show everyone a great, easy to make hookah. I bought a flask with a hose attachment, pyrex tubing, rubber plugs, glass tube cutters and a tool to make holes in the plugs. These were all bought from a science supply store. The hookah hose is food grade tubing, mated with a metal slurpee straw. It smokes great and is easy to clean. To purge, carefully remove the entire stem during a session and blow. The entire chamber will vent in about ~5 seconds. It takes practice to remove the stem and hold it steady but I do it so easily now I don't spill any coals. Plus, for the added benefit you can blow up the tube to mix the shisha mid-session smile.gif. To me, the small added inconvenience of removing the stem is worth it to purge the hookah quickly and completely. I have actually never owned a real hookah before, I made it awhile ago and I have been smoking out of it ever since.

The only metal pieces in the hookah is a mya coal tray and the slurpee straw.

The best part is that everything is transparent!

Any questions please ask.

my hookah vase broke so i actually did basically the same thing, but with an actual stem.

that cereal in the picture, its my favorite cause its made of pandas. Edited by K1024

I dunno, that just doesn't look kosher to me ... too much plastic + coals going on for me. How does it actually smoke, and how much does it cost to make? I'm thinking one would be better off just buying a cheap pumpkin hookah... unless you have that DIY attitude.

QUOTE (Cerritus @ Jan 26 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine is made completely out of stuff 'scavenged' from the chem lab at my college. The bowl is massive. It went for a good 3-4 hours the one time we filled it.

blink.gif Aren't you worried about residue chemicals? bad.gif

I see there is a lot of concern about plastics and residue chemicals...

Well...I actually think science hookahs are great if done right in that regard. Glassware and other stuff used for experiments are usually autoclaved so they are sterilized. In my hookah, the rubber stoppers are heat rated for a high temp as well, so short of putting the coal on the plug for an extended period of time it does not melt. The tube is food grade tubing used for brewing beer...so that should be safe as well. I had a big concern on safety so I did a lot of research.

It did cost ~40 to make because I purchased brand name pyrexware...but as I said before it is my main hookah. I have smoked at lounges and also tried other people's hookahs, it is on par if not better in terms of ease of use, both during smoking and for maintenance. Best part is that you can see the smoke in the chamber entirely. If you are skillful it looks milky white smile.gif.

Hey Cerritus, nice hookah! I'm going to try that in the future. The funnel idea is great.

• 2 months later...
sterilzed doesn't mean there aren't any chemicals on it though, just no living stuff, i mean you could be sucking in some random chlorines, but odds are as long as you cleaned it out with acetone and soap and water beforehand it should be alright