Worlds Simplest Diffuser

PanamaDre

ok im relatively new to hookahs but i am very familiar with the concept of a diffuser. ive looked around all over these forums and honestly, all the diffuser ideas on here seem like way too much hassle (yes, even the bottle cap). so i havent actually tried this myself, but i am fairly certain it will work - rubber band and a clean piece of cloth. cloth has tons of little holes in it, and if you use a rubber band to hold it onto the bottom of the down stem (like a little cloth bag) the smoke will travel through those little holes. if ya need more pull through, use a bigger bag of cloth at the end of the stem, or a thinner, lighter cloth may work better. who knows really, just an idea. i mean, basically no work, washed clean cloth is not toxic i think (though at that point in the hookah system i doubt toxicity under heat is a big issue) and its cheap. after using it you can wash it so it doesnt get nasty from soaking in water (nobody likes moldy smoke). ill be trying this as soon as i get some more shisha and coals (should be just a few days), and when i do ill let you guys know how it works.

also if you have a wide base on your hookah like me (mya qt) and are willing to put just slightly more effort into a diffuser, some flexible hose capped off at the end and riddled with hose could be coiled around the bottom of the base and attached to the bottom of the downstem. just another idea, not planning on trying it out myself but if ya read this feel free to try it and let me know how it works

p.s. this is my first post and im not massively knowledgeable about diy hookah stuff so lemme know if i wrote anything dumb

peace out

Should work in theory but with a few problems i think.

1. I think drag would be terrible on it unless you used a really thin cheesecloth type material. Not sure how good the cloth would actually seperate the smoke either. I dont Know

2. Using anything very thick may act as a filter type thing(not a bad thing) but it also may take nicotine levels down. So if you like the buzz it may kill it for you. But if you dont ever smoke for the buzz Go for it.

Not sure how accurate my assumptions are as im just guessing. Cant wait to hear other chime in on this that may Know a little more about it. I may try doing it though just for the sake of curiosity.

P.S. Welcome to the forums laugh.gif Edited by Tiburonsrule

• 2 weeks later...
The hose idea would make the drag pretty hard if it was submerged so far. Plus you'd only need like.. an inch of hose. You could refine it to just an inch of hose fit snugly on the tip of the stem /w a ton of holes though. That sounds great!

The cloth idea is pretty much covered by Tibs Rule.

• 5 months later...
QUOTE (THE_MAD_MAN @ Apr 17 2009, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what about aquarium air stones? I think they would work very well as a diffuser

yes, been meaning to do this, but theres on thing to think about. aquarium air stones all run off of 40mm tubing, which is very small. the holes on the diffuser are all also very small, so that would stop it as well. the way im going to do this is to use 4-5 air stones and rig them up so that they work together, so that way the pull is easy.

• 2 weeks later...
I used to use a single piece of cheesecloth held on by rubber bands and it did a great job, but somehow I lost it while moving. Now I have a metal sink strainer like this one: http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx-pro...ir-Strainer.htm

I bent it and have it held on with some tape. It does a great job and is pretty much permanent.

QUOTE (Jones @ Apr 30 2009, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to use a single piece of cheesecloth held on by rubber bands and it did a great job, but somehow I lost it while moving. Now I have a metal sink strainer like this one: http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx-pro...ir-Strainer.htm

I bent it and have it held on with some tape. It does a great job and is pretty much permanent.

another good one is a tea bag from mighty leaf brand tea. its a silk screeny bag open up one end of it and dump out the tea then slip it on the end and get a wire tie and twist the wire on there mine has been very secure and works great however after the shisha cooks and holes get plugged with a lil ash it makes a bit more of resistance to the process but works great. smokes better and flavor comes sooner. but thats my solution to the matter. also cause its not cotton or paper it doesnt expand. just lil extra drag from resistance on the air.

I just tried 3 bendy straws and my pull went down to 50%.... The straws went in without any fuss so it's not the diameter of the stem... I also noticed that I had to pull VERY hard in order to get smoke through all straws.

What am I doing wrong?!?!?

QUOTE (alibaba @ May 11 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just tried 3 bendy straws and my pull went down to 50%.... The straws went in without any fuss so it's not the diameter of the stem... I also noticed that I had to pull VERY hard in order to get smoke through all straws.

What am I doing wrong?!?!?

because the straws are further down its gonna make the pull harder.

try making the straws a little shorter.

QUOTE (dizzbizz @ May 11 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no so simple. eh? I got a little tylenol container and poked holes in it. works like a charm

i would say this is the simplest, simply because it will work better than a cloth or screen diffusers (bubbles further apart = better diffusation)

use any bottle you find--travel shampoo, tylenol, film canister, energy shot, etc--and poke holes in it, attach it to the stem (it doesnt even have to be completely air tight) and then smoke....

I built mine with the widget from a can of Guiness. It is so perfect. A ping-pong ball or some other small plastic ball would also serve.

I dremeled a hole big enough to mount on my KM downstem, then drilled about 10 smaller holes around the sides and on the bottom. The pull is restricted by roughly 0%, and it's much quieter. Plus the thing just pops off if I want it to. I'll post pictures tonight.

Win.

• 9 months later...
[quote name='NarghileNights' date='27 October 2008 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1225136116' post='306082']
three bendy straws for the win.
[/quote]

Has anyone who uses this method tried a different how-to method or for that matter a real diffuser? I used straws and kinda noticed the difference, but then made my own 'realer' diffuser with lots of small holes - took one drag and jaw dropped. Cant imagine going back to straws of any kind.