My Homemade Hookah Plan...

hippomania7

So I'm kind of a hookah noob. But I drew out some plans. I was wondering if anybody could see if there are any flaws. Also, if you have any ideas, do tell.

http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plansrg8.png

-I know the whole copper controversy. But this hookah wont even be smoked very often.
-will using a glue gun to insulate the stem and the hose in the cap be dangerous?. The hose is probably fine, but will the copper stem become so hot that the glue melts?
-apple bowl is kind of a creative thing.

well the only design flaw i see is that there would be no way to purge it... other than that its just construction materials that you have to worry about... if you have any questions about materials and such just hit me up cuz i have made many of home made hookah that started out simple and has now gotten very complex... happy to give any advice needed

dom

as long as the head is more than 6-8 inches above the cap, the copper tubing is not going to get hot enough to melt glue. I have a homemade copper hookah and you can really only feel the heat about 5 or 6 inches down the stem. And even that far down it is only lukewarm. However, i smoke with natural coals. If you use quick lights, the smoke will be much hotter.

Since you are new to hookahs, I'm gonna go ahead and recommend not using quick-lights. i used them for a while then switched over to naturals. Its a little more trouble for a large benefit.

edit: probably a better idea than a glue gun would be epoxy. If you go to lowes you can get some instant mix epoxy that you dont have to mix yourself and has a convenient dispensing nozzle. Epoxy would definitely hold a lot stronger than glue. Edited by agentscot

-The only thing I can get access to are fast coals
-I'm glad somebody else has used the apple. Anything complicated to making an apple bowl, or is it just as easy as it seems?
-How would I go about making a purge? Where in the diagram would it be? What is a purge exactly (in stupid terms) and is it neccesary? (yea, im new)

QUOTE (hippomania7 @ Aug 25 2008, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ryno @ Aug 25 2008, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the downstem, goto Lowes and goto where they sell toliet parts... they have an almost perfect downstem made of brass.

how much would the brass cost? (rough guess) Is it really worth getting brass? This particular one won't even be smoked that often, maybe once every 1-2 months.

It was around 7 bucks. I'd use the brass, because the copper can leave a residue in the water.

QUOTE (ryno @ Aug 25 2008, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (hippomania7 @ Aug 25 2008, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ryno @ Aug 25 2008, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the downstem, goto Lowes and goto where they sell toliet parts... they have an almost perfect downstem made of brass.

how much would the brass cost? (rough guess) Is it really worth getting brass? This particular one won't even be smoked that often, maybe once every 1-2 months.

It was around 7 bucks. I'd use the brass, because the copper can leave a residue in the water.

As long as the copper is kept clean, you aren't going to get residue in the water.