Hooka Stem Diameter

Username

So, from what I have gathered, it is okay for smaller hookahs to have thinner diameter stem pipes, but the longer the stem, the wider you need to go so that it wont be a terrible pull. Is this right?

pictures come when i finish this hookah happy.gif Edited by Username

Sort of. You don't want to use a stem that's super small. A 1/4 inch is pretty tiny, but you don't want to use a 2 inch stem on a hookah with a 6 inch stem. Generally it's a good idea to make the stem wider the longer it gets. Sort of like breathing through a coffee straw verses a garden hose. If you're making a really tall hookah, use a wider stem, but you don't need to go crazy with it. There will be a difference between a 1/4 inch and a half inch, but not between a half inch and an inch or more.

QUOTE (hday @ Jul 15 2008, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sort of. You don't want to use a stem that's super small. A 1/4 inch is pretty tiny, but you don't want to use a 2 inch stem on a hookah with a 6 inch stem. Generally it's a good idea to make the stem wider the longer it gets. Sort of like breathing through a coffee straw verses a garden hose. If you're making a really tall hookah, use a wider stem, but you don't need to go crazy with it. There will be a difference between a 1/4 inch and a half inch, but not between a half inch and an inch or more.

Username was my screen name when this one got its posting privileges removed for some reason. Anywho, thank you.

To make it more washable and usable, I am doing some various things to it i havent seen before on here (i lurk.)

The hoses are vinyl tubing like normal, soon to be fabric covered. However, i put a threaded brass nipple in the end. Onto a large Patron bottle i put two holes in the side and epoxied two female brass connectors on either side. The hoses are 5 feet long.

I am trying to figure out what to do for the covering of the stem. The first bit of the stem is brass, then the rest is copper. I did this to 1. reduce the cost from a ton for all brass pipe, to much less. and 2. keep the majority of the heat directly off the first bits of copper so gasses (whether or not they actually occur) will be abated more readily.

I need to get a rubber stopper for the bottle, but i used a rubber ball that i cut down to size to use temporarily until i get something that works better.

Aesthetically, it is very unfinished.
Mechanically, it is done.

QUOTE (timbudtwo @ Jul 16 2008, 05:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
anyone have some suggestions for what to put around the stem? I can't find any good banister pieces, or anything that might look moderatley good.

rhine stones, or something similar from an arts and crafts store, to decorate the stem if you have to.

Maybe get a diffuser on that thing cause it looks like you have the potential to easily get water in the hose.

Larger wider base would be nice to help with stability. If you do ever get another base, i would make the the hose ports as high up on the glass as you can to keep the hose dry.

yeah, you really need another base. Something taller, wider, and heavier, not only to help reduce tipping, but also to make it more aesthetically pleasing. You have to have the proper ratio of stem to base. If you're trying to keep the cost down, go shopping for some cheap flower vases.

Also, if I may make another suggestion; rather than making holes in the glass vase for the hoses, you should create an entirely separate housing for the stem and hoses. This is my hookah that I made from copper piping. I made a little housing out of a plumbing piece and filled it with epoxy to seal it. I then wrapped it with electrical tape to make a seal in my vase. The small pipe is the air release which i plug up with a small cork. The large pipe is for the hose adapters that I fashioned out of copper couplings. I'm sure you could make a similar set up with a couple of female adapters for your hoses.

QUOTE (agentscot @ Jul 16 2008, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah, you really need another base. Something taller, wider, and heavier, not only to help reduce tipping, but also to make it more aesthetically pleasing. You have to have the proper ratio of stem to base. If you're trying to keep the cost down, go shopping for some cheap flower vases.

Also, if I may make another suggestion; rather than making holes in the glass vase for the hoses, you should create an entirely separate housing for the stem and hoses. This is my hookah that I made from copper piping. I made a little housing out of a plumbing piece and filled it with epoxy to seal it. I then wrapped it with electrical tape to make a seal in my vase. The small pipe is the air release which i plug up with a small cork. The large pipe is for the hose adapters that I fashioned out of copper couplings. I'm sure you could make a similar set up with a couple of female adapters for your hoses.

Perhaps I could lob off some of the copper pipe and make it a bit shorter. It is pretty huge!

QUOTE (timbudtwo @ Jul 16 2008, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (agentscot @ Jul 16 2008, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps I could lob off some of the copper pipe and make it a bit shorter. It is pretty huge!

I wouldn't cut off any of the copper. The longer the stem is, the better quality the smoke is, as there is more time for the smoke to cool down and whatnot. But just like the diameter issue, the longer you make it, the less length makes a difference. (big difference between 18 and 24 inches, but not much difference between 28 and 34).
If you're set on using that base, I would just get some non-toxic weights to put in the bottom corners of the vase to keep it from tipping over. The lower the center of gravity, the better. As far as aesthetics go, its not too bad. Some kind of stem decoration would dramatically improve it, but I'm of the opinion that aesthetics take a back seat to smoke quality.

QUOTE (agentscot @ Jul 16 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't cut off any of the copper. The longer the stem is, the better quality the smoke is, as there is more time for the smoke to cool down and whatnot. But just like the diameter issue, the longer you make it, the less length makes a difference. (big difference between 18 and 24 inches, but not much difference between 28 and 34).
If you're set on using that base, I would just get some non-toxic weights to put in the bottom corners of the vase to keep it from tipping over. The lower the center of gravity, the better. As far as aesthetics go, its not too bad. Some kind of stem decoration would dramatically improve it, but I'm of the opinion that aesthetics take a back seat to smoke quality.

Okay, Im planning on putting the base in something. Probably making a base out of wood, or something similar. Perhaps an inverted basket. Like i said, mechanically done. Not aesthetically.

A lot of people, I've seen, just buy candle stick holders and stuff from the clearance aisle and drill a hole for the stem. You can get "glass" balls and stuff to fancy it up too. A few pages back there's a guy who made a red and black hookah out of stuff he got from Hobby Lobby.

I dig the long stem though. The weight idea is a good one. Most hookahs should be on the floor and this is no exception. I'd do one of two things. You could take a big free-weight from a sports store, or even a heavy ceramic tile and epoxy the Patron bottle to it. Something heavy (or square) will really help from it tipping over. Your other, much cooler, option would be to make some sort of recessed tray for it to sit in. Not sure how wide that vase is, but a tall ceramic dish tray, like for planting pots, might hold it upright, and another, wider tray glued to the bottom would keep it more stable. Also makes it easy to run through the dishwasher.

Another thing you might want to try is a more flexible hose. Hoses that have some give will keep the thing from tipping to, especially if they are screwed onto the base. Surgical latex tubing works wonders and you can sometimes get the stuff at Lowes.