Help With Hookah-shisha.com's Wide Mod Bowl & Metal Bowl Screen

alecb

I recently bought a metal bowl screen for the bowl i already owned, which is hookah-shisha.com's wide mod bowl. anyway, i found out that the metal screen is just too small for the bowl, and doesnt create a airtight enough seal... and the site only offers one size for the screen.
i tried fooling around with extending the sides with foil,
but does anyone have suggestions for how i can mod the screen to fit the bowl... and if not, does anyone know where i can order a screen big enough?

QUOTE (alecb @ Jul 14 2008, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recently bought a metal bowl screen for the bowl i already owned, which is hookah-shisha.com's wide mod bowl. anyway, i found out that the metal screen is just too small for the bowl, and doesnt create a airtight enough seal... and the site only offers one size for the screen.
but does anyone have suggestions for how i can mod the screen to fit the bowl... and if not, does anyone know where i can order a screen big enough?

The screen doesn't have to be airtight as long as it sits on the bowl it will be fine. If it doesn't rest on the outer edges of the bowl then you have a problem.

A windscreen will help too. I've seen some impressive screens made from Arizona Tea cans. I just make what I call a cape. Take a 10x8 sheet of foil and wrap the foil around the bottom of the bowl where it meets the stem. Then take the top of the strip and mold it into a half sphere, sort of a like a hood for the bowl. It keeps the air around the coal hot, keeping the coal warmer, and all of the air that flows into the bowl flows through the opening in the foil cape so there is no cool air sneaking in. The coal is also a easier to see in a bright room, so I can see how hot it's getting from a drag, which lets me keep an eye on the seals.

QUOTE (voski @ Jul 15 2008, 02:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The screen doesn't have to be airtight as long as it sits on the bowl it will be fine. If it doesn't rest on the outer edges of the bowl then you have a problem.

When i sit the metal screen on the bowl, there is an gap between the screen to the bowl, around all of it. if it wasn't for the metal tabs, then the screen would just fall into the bowl.

You say theres a gap between the screen and the bowl. I have never seen a screen/bowl combo that doesnt do that. Thats why very few people use screens. My suggestion is if you are just dead set on using a screen then use a windcover in addition to it. But if you want a better seal use foil.

QUOTE (alecb @ Jul 15 2008, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When i sit the metal screen on the bowl, there is an gap between the screen to the bowl, around all of it. if it wasn't for the metal tabs, then the screen would just fall into the bowl.

Thats fine. Did you try smoking with it? The only problem I see is that ash will fall into the tobacco.

QUOTE (voski @ Jul 15 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (alecb @ Jul 15 2008, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats fine. Did you try smoking with it? The only problem I see is that ash will fall into the tobacco.

I use to use the screens that have the fingers on the edges. If you bend them down tight around the outside of the bowl it seems to help greatly. I was using them to pick the screen up with, but this was a happy accident. I since changed to foil. I like that better, and the screens rust.

• 2 weeks later...
SocialSmoke.com has big screens i have a couple that fit perfect on the Hemi Bowl and the Mod Bowl from H-S.