When Size Does Matter

nmacholl

Hey folks!
This how to thread is pretty basic, but I thought I'd share my experiance anyways. I own a small modern hookah and have slowly been buying up new accessories for it, to make it unique you know! So I recently bought a new vase, problem is when it arrived that it's shape and size didn't match my small stem at all. I need to find a way to increase the downstem length and increase the grommet's diameter by a hair.

So I took a trip to the hardware store and brought my stem along. In the plumbing section I made a dreadfull discovery that my downstem was too high a gauge and there were no copper compression fittings for it - and that's why god made flexible tubing! I picked up the smallest portion of 1/2 inch braided vinyl tubing and a compression clamp and headed home. Using a multitool I widdled the tube a slightly wider opening to fit the higher gauge stem into it. I then measured out the exact amount I needed and cut it.

I was so delighted to have solved downstem length problem I almost forgot about the grommet! Anyways, a few strips of electrical tape around the grommet made a surprisingly tight seal and the hookah can safely be picked up by the stem (if you really needed too!).

Here's the whole thing together and a picture of my hookah as of today.

So that it, how I got my small modern hookah stem to fit into a larger vase for a unique look (that matches the hoses most of all!).