Glowing Hookah Hoses! Diy

dyzel

Ok, Just made a pair of these hose and... WOW biggrin.gif i really really like em!

So. Basically, i used an old hookah hose covered it in EL - wire (electroluminescent wire)
put a cover over it and done!!! i have a glowing hose!!!

What you need:
*Latex tubing of desired length (must be black)
*Adequate muslin fabric to make a hose cover (optional)
*Reel of EL wire in the colour of your choice. buy from here
you will need to purchase an EL driver from the above site too. If you want, you can qalso buy a sequencer, to keep the ELwire flashing etc.
*time and skill

Ok. So, take your hose, take ELwire. Wrap El wire around the hose Following the pattern of the spring on the inner hose. Do this end to end, and to the end that enters the hookah, add the driver.

This is how the ELwire wraps around the hose:

the finished project is shown below...

Notice when not in use, i used blue EL wire on blue hose,

when in use and lit up at night, the hose glows.

The wire looks purple and fuzzy in my pic because i used a shit fone cam.
Sorry for unclear images. I had to use mobile phones camera smile.gif

hope you gfet the general idea smile.gif

It is essential that you follow the natural spring layout of the hose, if not, the hose loses its flexibility.

I am aware of my poor presentation of the project... alas, i suck... no... I SUCK at making these instructabley things. If anyone so wishes to improve this, i give full permission to edit my post, or even just contribute to the thread.

Hmmm... In a bid to clarify a few things, i think i will explain the absolute basics in this new post.

Things that you will need:

- A hookah hose
- A reel of EL wire (colour of your choice
- An EL driver (power source)
- Short length of black latex tubing (around 2 inches is enough)

Basically, you wrap the EL wire around the hookah hose, following the spring pattern to ensure that the hose maintains its flexibility.
The black latex is used as a holder.

Basically, at either end of the hose, where the EL wire ends, the latex ring covers, and holds the wire in place. The latex ring on the end of the hose that goes into the hookah also houses the EL driver.

EL wire is rather costly, so i advise that you purchase only the length you will require. full reels cost upto 800$ whereas the project (for 2 hookah hoses - 74" long, costs roughly 7$ and a few cents)

The driver is of negligible cost too. I hope this has been explained better... Any improvements i could make, please let me know smile.gif otherwise, enjoy the pipe smile.gif

I thought this was a cool idea so i decided to google the ELwire that you talked about. I found a few sites that sold it and also found that they offered portable kits as well. I found that if i were to do this for my nammor hose (which is awesome) It would cost around 15 bucks. Thats not to bad to make a crazy neon hose. Hookah.gif

15$??? Thats a bit pricy mate... I think you have looked at a thick grade of EL wire... You may want to search for the thinnest string you can find, around 0.3 mm... I suggest... shouldn't cost half as much ohmy.gif

how long would you need for a 5-6 foot hose? im guessing like 10 feet?

and where do you find 0.3mm el wire, the thinnest ive found was 1.3mm Edited by fineout

I should have mentioned the metrics before... My bad.

Basically, for a standard hose, (around 1 - 2 cm in diameter)
You will need the following:

i advise, for every 1 foot of hose, you will need 2 foot of EL wire.

Also if you plan on purchasing El Wire you should be aware that there are two
grades of el wire, we call them Lytec Wire and Chinese wire. Lytec wire is of
higher quality, is brighter and lasts longer than Chinese wire. Both grades of El
wire cost about the same - $1.00 a foot (even less) - so its really a no brainer. GO FOR THE LYTEC!!!!

if you wanna buy some, it would be a good idea to try out 2.5mm EL wire. this is a superbright rdition, for double glow!!

buy fro, here

an alternative idea is to use wire tail for the hose biggrin.gif

• 1 year later...
[quote name='dyzel' date='06 June 2008 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1212778727' post='260538']
Hmmm... In a bid to clarify a few things, i think i will explain the absolute basics in this new post.

Things that you will need:

- A hookah hose
- A reel of EL wire (colour of your choice
- An EL driver (power source)
- Short length of black latex tubing (around 2 inches is enough)

Basically, you wrap the EL wire around the hookah hose, following the spring pattern to ensure that the hose maintains its flexibility.
The black latex is used as a holder.

Basically, at either end of the hose, where the EL wire ends, the latex ring covers, and holds the wire in place. The latex ring on the end of the hose that goes into the hookah also houses the EL driver.

EL wire is rather costly, so i advise that you purchase only the length you will require. full reels cost upto 800$ whereas the project (for 2 hookah hoses - 74" long, costs roughly 7$ and a few cents)

The driver is of negligible cost too. I hope this has been explained better... Any improvements i could make, please let me know [img]http://hookahforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] otherwise, enjoy the pipe [img]http://hookahforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

You really don't need to get a whole roll (spool) of el wire. You can get about 10-20 feet of it and it will suffice. Also, they have multi-colored [url="http://ellumiglow.com"]el wire[/url] now that would look sweet.

Does this stuff interact with water at all? I think having some glowing coming through the smoke and jar would be awsome looking.

[quote name='Lorena F. Palin' date='03 March 2010 - 01:43 PM' timestamp='1267645402' post='455056']
Does this stuff interact with water at all? I think having some glowing coming through the smoke and jar would be awsome looking.
[/quote]

Buy the water-resistant version if you plan to place it inside the hose itself and you'll be good to go. I'm using it in some of my custom hookahs I am fabricating for sale.