free speech in this forum

Sariél

This is a repeat of my comments in a more appropriate section of the forum.

People really need to calm down, mellow out and smoke a bowl... of
Double Rose. The knee jerk hate on this board for the very mention of
the possibilty of illicit substances does nothing but foster acrimony
between forum members. This is an even bigger problems for newbie's, as
I don't think forum rules or guidlines are posted anywhere (at least
not prominently). So a new member comes in, asks a question, and is the
focus of anger, scorn and ridicule.

It is not a very welcoming atmosphere, and is especially hypocritical
from a minor who can't legally smoke tobacco and has to hide his hookah
from his parents.

I do not favor any sort of age verification at all. I am against any
policy that restricts the spread of information or the exchange of
ideas.

However, anyone mailing free samples should check before they send
anything. In the current political climate here in the U.S. this could
be seen as using the federal mails to contribute to the delinquency of
a minor, documented on a public forum. This could lead to fines and/or
federal charges. I doubt it would incur jail time, but could be a
criminal record for distributing a controlled substance;  i.e.
drug charges.

Just something to think about.

Indeed.... I have sent out a wee bit in the past. and I do not intend to do it again.
In retrospect.... theres absolutely no way I can verify the age of a recipient without going thru hell getting copies of drivers licences or stuff like that.
The other thing I began to wonder about...... is the legality of sending tobacco across state lines without a licence. If the BATFE policy for interstate transfer on tobacco is anything like firearms..... then its very restricted to Class 1, 2 or 3 Dealers or Class 6 manufacturers licence holders only. (Those are for firearms)
Thats how detailed and controlled it is.. classifications out the butt.
Sustained sentiment about rules and guidlines. Where are they? I'm pretty sure I read them on the way in during sign up.. but where can I reference them now?
Underage smoking does concern me. thats gonna piss alot of people off. The reason I stand behind an 18+ smoking laws is due to the fact that a minor in many ways is not responible on a legal level for many of theyre actions........ including health care. Ultimately a Legal Gaurdian of a minor must account for the actions of said youth. The law is in place to keep our courts from clogging up on a civil level by making it a criminal offense to posses as a minor.
When a person turns 18 years of age..... they become soley responsible and liable in regards to the laws of the land. Why sould a youth be allowed to take part in an activity without being accountable.
Therefore it is important to regulate a minors activities by law.
I lived thru it myself. I was a minor once..... I was not allowed by law to smoke or drink alcohol. There is a good reason for this. Do your time.

• 2 months later...
#1; The constitution of the United States of America has our back, here. Paraphrasing: "Congress shall establish no tariff, tax, restrict or regulate interstate trade." If the person receiving the package is intended to be the end user, then no tax can be assessed crossing state lines. If the tobacco product already has tax paid on it in the originating state, than you can freely send the product within the state. IF you receive the tobacco product from someone from another state and then try to send it to someone else in the same state you are in, you are potentially liable for the tax. It won;t be enforced, however. #2 There is a provision in California law, a defense, actually, that supports Caterpillar's point. If a person represents themselves as being of age AND they have some feature that would not be reasonable or expected in someone that was a minor (Perhaps possessing tobacco products?) then it is defensible. That would probably make sense in the entireity of any court in the US.#3 The fines in California are quite small, $100 for the first offense and going up from there (don't quote me on that). $500 or less to be sure. It isn;t a misdemeanor, even, its an infraction (like speeding). I agree with Lake Monster. I would never knowingly send out samples to a minor. If I know you're a minor, no samples. Underage smoking does concern me. I know a 17 year old kid who routinely seems to have cigarettes. Where does he get them from? I don't know. If I sold guns and you came in and asked to buy a gun so you could kill yourself, I wouldn't sell it to you. Whether someone else does or not is their own issue. I have enough trouble with sleep walking without worrying about other people's bent moralities.

• 2 weeks later...
One time I ordered cigars online and when the mailman delivered them he
asked for ID. I then signed for them and he wrote down my drivers
liscense number. If i was in fact a minor it would have been returned
to the sender. I dont know what that method of shipping is called but
maybe that could be utilized on this forum when trading or sending
samples etc..