More al-Waha, anyone?

OK...as promised, I'll be running down some reviews of the five al-Waha flavors I picked up in Berkeley. I'll note, however, that Mint was NOT one of them, as I'd thought. I guess I pretty much dismissed it, given that the "Chewing Gum" flavor was such a strong sender in that department. It just seemed superfluous to try the other if that one was SO good.Anyway, on to the business at hand...Apricot:Incredibly sloppy stuff...I would have to say that this was at least as messy as the Honey flavor, if not moreso. The inside of the package was literally dripping, and while you would think this was promising, well...After lighting this up, I was wondering where the expected monster smoke weight was. You would sort of expect this, given the similarity with the Honey flavor in terms of appearances, but this isn't what I got. It just never came on. Instead, I was getting a lightly fruity flavor which was overridden with a MASSIVE amount of licorice. Lots. No lie. I would almost characterize this as a licorice ma'assel with a fruit component. It was definitely stronger than either the Rose or Double Apple al-Wahas. The apricot components were definitely there in the aroma and 'nose', but even this was detracted from by that huge, numbing licorice aspect. And also, the smoke density and weight seemed to me to be really lacking...this was a fairly light smoke, again not what I thought I was getting into.Buzzwise, again, this was a letdown as far as I was concerned. It was a little-to-none sort of affair. Great for some who don't want a major brainskank, but I was hoping for at least some of that nice al-Waha chill-out buzz that I'd gotten from several other offerings of theirs. So you'll likely have to take this one on the basis of flavor alone, and if licorice isn't your thing, then you're pretty much out of luck.I dunno...this might be a good mixer ma'assel and I think some experimentation may be in order to check that out, but as for a straight-up apricot smoke, this seems like something of a letdown as far as I'm concerned. Definitely one for the licorice/anise fans, but since I'm not as jazzed by that aspect of ma'assel as by the [u]proper[/u] flavors, this one didn't grab me.

I like the Al Waha peach and strawberry, I noticed that the apricot is weak in flavor.
Goopy, no real licorice flavor of consequence, and you know what flavor you've got.
Both are also good mixers. Peach goes with many berry flavors, and
strawberry is intensely fruity enough to add that to a blander flavor.
Peach with strawberry mix well together BTW.  Do less strawberry though.

On another note, I don't know why buzz should be a factor, if you want
a buzz, smoke something else before you have a shisha session!

--Reiner

Buzz is a factor because either:a) you might like to be able to finish the bowl before the ma'assel's nicotine content climbs all over you and kicks your butt, orB) you might like some tobacco which has a nice mellowed-out sort of buzz, in the same way that one unwinds with a good cigar or pipe.Anyway, on to the Peach...Not quite the 'slop factor' as the prior Apricot here, this time the ma'assel seemed to have something more akin to the usual saturation I've gotten accustomed to seeing in al-Waha's products. Very definite and prominent peach aroma prior to lighting, also. This seems a good bit more 'defined'.The smoke itself starts off sort of light, but on into the first coal it really picks up steam and gets into a good, thick, but not really heavy smoke. The peach flavor is rather pronounced, with a slight sourness that accentuates the fruit-like tones. It's also quite obvious in the aroma and 'nose', too...a very nice and peachy smoke. And not really all that heavy, either, so I'm of the opinion that this would make for a nice 'everyday' bowl and certainly a good starter ma'assel for those beginning to explore hookah smoking. Even the aftertaste has a nice, warm peach tone to it that's quite pleasant. I will note that there's a goodly bit of licorice here, as one finds in some other al-Waha fruits, Rose, etc, but unlike the Apricot it's not an overpowering element. Rather, it seems to be more in proportions one finds in their Double Apple.Buzzwise, this is back into the usual 'chilled' al-Waha turf that I tend to associate with the bulk of their better flavors. It's clearly not the same sort of leaf stock as was evident in the Apricot or some other lightweight al-Wahas, but more what one finds with their heavier flavors. I'm sure this is part of the flavoring 'voodoo', similar to what one finds in certain 'cures' of pipe tobaccos, but it's worth noting that some of these are duds in that department; nothing here really gets into the 'stomp you into the floor' zone of that Romman Cocktail encounter from last week.So, this is one worth checking, particularly if you dig the fruit flavors or are a devotee of peach, which is one of those ma'assel flavors that many people seem to gravitate towards as an 'everyday'. Nice stuff.

Well, tonight, it's Tiki Time, with...Pineapple:Interesting-looking stuff. The liquid inside the package is actually a distinct yellow...maybe a tad artificial-looking, but nothing to quibble over. One thing to quibble over, however, are the stems...some honkin' big ones in here. The leaf cut seems a little different from the usual al-Waha...finer shreds. Aroma is sort of...odd? Sweet, not as distinctly pineapply as you'd expect.But when the flavor kicks in, yep, it's pineapple. The start on this is a little wobbly, sort of sweetly indistinct, but when the ma'assel really gets cooking, it's obvious as hell what you're smoking. Sweet pineapple flavor, sort of like those dried pineapple slices you see in some dried fruit mixes. Aroma is just spectacular, as is the 'nose' here, with pineapple undercut with sort of a floral note. As we get further into the bowl, a tobacco tone starts to ride under the pineapple, but the mix works, adding a nice darkness to the flavor. Smoke is very 'big', but not overtly heavy...lots and lots, but with a nice weight. Interestingly, the licorice that seems to characterize several of al-Waha's fruit flavors is quite absent here.Buzz? Hmm...very little, actually. Maybe a slight something, but nothing that stands up and gets right in your face. Definitely a nice candidate for a daytime bowl, this. It's well-balanced, and it's got loads of flavor that keeps right on going. I think it would also make a wonderful mixer with a citrus ma'assel, maybe cherry. Quality stuff...I'll definitely be revisiting this one. Loved it!

Melon....hooooooooo, byoyeeeee....OK, this was some messed-up stuff. VERY uncharacteristic of al-Waha.Ma'assel was more like the usual al-Waha cut, etc this time. Aroma wasn't quiet some melon-like, however....you would expect something more clear-cut, but the reality is that the aroma is rather sweet and nondistinct. Not complaining, though...nothing skanky or off here, just not quite as you'd expect.The first few minutes, like the pineapple above, are sort of dicey. Flavor doesn't become too distinct for a few minutes, and early on there's a rather prominent tobacco tone to the smoke. This does drop away after a while, though, leaving a clear melon flavor...sort of a light, sweet honeydew taste, actually. This is present in the aroma, too, but the 'nose' actually is a little deceptive, containing a strong floral component. Once it all gets going, it's a good, thick, and weighty smoke, very present and filling. Where this gets weird, though, is in the buzz. Daaaamn...this is pretty potent on any scale, to say the least of al-Waha, which tends toward the lighter/mellower sort of action. THIS stuff, though, is majorly powerful...sweats, stomach-rolls, all of that. This, I did not expect. As I'm typing this, I'll note that the fine motor coordination needed to work this Powerbook is somewhat...well, pretty much, actually...lacking. Beginner's ma'assel? Fuhgeddaboutit! This is one for the hardcore, and you'd better believe I'm surprised to be saying this about some nice, well-behaved al-Waha. At least, until NOW it was all nice and well-behaved. This one's the black sheep of the family. However, the wild folks who crave the brain-scramblage of something like Splash need to pick up on this one.

Lemon:More of the odd 'bright yellow' look to this, similar to the Pineapple. So I was sort of primed for this to be a winner on the same level, and I wasn't disappointed. The ma'assel here was cut more like the usual al-Waha...long shreds, somewhat thick, dark leaf, and random little stem chunks here and there. And the aroma had a definite, clear lemony scent...sort of a lemon zest aroma, not all that sweet.Once this got going, it delivered! The lemon flavor here is massive, dense, and rich...very 'lemon drop'-like taste, with a balanced sweet/sour flavor. Interestingly, it was the aroma this time that carried a slight tobacco tone to it; this was oddly missing from both the flavor and 'nose', which were redolent with that potent lemony goodness. The smoke gets rather thick, but like the Pineapple it's not all that weighty...the 'heaviness' seemed just right, not overpowering at all. Toward the end, there was a fast flavor drop starting, but this wasn't until late in coal #2, so it ran out quite well over time. The only 'flaw' I can discern here is a mild back-of-throat harshness...which, when you consider the strong citrus component here, shouldn't be all that surprising. At the very least, it's neither distracting nor something that detracts from the experience.Buzz was again similar to the Pineapple...light, mellow, unobtrusive. A nice 'afternoon' smoke candidate, and one I would say would be a great 'point-prover' to those who think that smoking tobacco can't possibly be a tasty experience. Between the flavor and the easy buzz, this may well be an optimal 'first bowl' for a lot of people beginning to explore hookah smoking. It also seems to have some mixing potential that demands some later exploration. Very much worth checking out!

Hoo-hah! The local shop had a few more al-Waha flavors in 50s for yrs. truly to check out. So without further ado...Mint:OK, the yellowish color to the Pineapple and Lemon was a little odd, I have to admit, but the yellowish-GREEN that this ma'assel has is pretty bizarre. I suppose it all fits into the Mint scheme of things, but...well, anyway, one immediate thing I note here is some big stems. Big'uns. Not too many, but the ones that're in there are pretty chunky and some are actually rather long. Tobacco is the familiar long-shred dark leaf stock one sees in a number of al-Waha's flavors. Strong mint aroma...as one would expect.This stuff took a little bit to get going, and early on I noted a musky-smoky tone that persisted in the aroma much longer than the flavor. Definitely a tobacco element, although not as aggressive as in a couple other of their flavors. Of course, this is all massively overridden by the huge, cool mint taste in the flavor, even though the aroma and 'nose' wasn't quite so heavy on the mint as one might expect. It's a very monochromatic smoke...mint, mint, more mint, and mint, with the tobacco element and just a hint of sweetness never rising to a point where they seem to add to and/or enhance things. The smoke itself is quite thick, but any hint of weight seems to be obscured by the coolness of the mint, which acts in a bit of an anaesthetic manner in the throat and lungs.Buzz...not much, maybe a bit of a heady one, but minor at the very least. Nose hits actually are not something pleasant here, and seemed to contribute to a slight and shortlived headache following the few I did.Putting this alongside al-Waha's other mint, the 'Chewing Gum' flavor, shows this as being a totally different experience altogether...and one I'll admit to not liking as well as the Gum. As I noted, this flavor is very monochromatic and simple, where the Gum gives up a massive amount of mint PLUS an extra sweetness and flavor complexity. The Gum also doesn't have that detractive tobacco tone as I found here. I can't see myself smoking this Mint as a routine things, whereas I'll gladly spring for another bowl or three or more of the Chewing Gum. It might have uses as a mixer, though; the simplistic nature of Mint seems like something that would lend itself better as an element in combination with certain other flavors. So if you want a GOOD mint smoke from al-Waha, I'd have to say it's the one in the deceptive pink pack...and not here.

Apple:Another oddly-colored ma'assel, yet again...more of the greenish-yellow here, although more yellow than green this time, unlike the quite odd appearance of the Mint. The cut here is quite different from other al-Wahas, I think...more of a finely-shredded tobacco, instead of the heavier/longer shreds of many of their others ma'assels. Aroma is sweet, apple-like, although not distinctly so.My hookah was somewhat fouled by the Mint I'd smoked earlier this week (another minus for that flavor, I think) so it took some time for the flavor of this new ma'assel to start coming out. When it did, though, it was when the bowl was in full swing, with lots of nice smoke. Thick, somewhat heavy, satisfying. The flavor was very tasty...sour apple, with a bit of a floral characteristic that came out even more in the 'nose' and aroma, along with a brown-sugar-like tone that was very darkly sweet. The aftertaste here is especially good...with lots of lasting apple flavor. Apple was also the overriding aroma element as well, along with that aforementioned floral characteristic. The flavor reminded me a great deal of those Apple Newton cookies, albeit a bit more sour. Nice!Buzzwise, nothing heavy, but definitely very relaxing...back to the al-Waha mild 'chill out' buzz of some of their better flavors. Definitely not anything impairing to this, though.Great stuff, I think...maybe it's not one of the tip-top apple flavors out there, but for an 'everyday apple' this would more than fill the bill. I could see making this a 'normal occurance' sort of bowl. As compared to al-Waha's Double Apple, I have to say I like this rather more. There's none of the other's back-of-the-throat harshness, the flavor is considerably more defined, and of course the licorice that's part of seemingly all Double Apples is quite missing here. I would of course be curious to see how this would stack against some of the premium apple ma'assels out there, but for the time being I'd have to say there's a good bit here to recommend trying this one.

• 7 months later...
glad I found this thread, I have been waiting for a review on alwaha apricot, but now I am dissappointed :(.......we'll see when I try it but considering I dont liek licorice I prob wont like this...

Woohoo finally a review thread I can contribute to....my limited student budget together with  living in Canada have not yet allowed for premium tobacco so reviews of cheaper tobacco are great for me.
I agree with your review of Pineapple completely...it tastes like dried pineapple which was a bit of a disappointment to me since i was hoping for a fresh pineapple flavour. But here's my very first ever review: (it might not be the greatest due to lack of experience in reviews)
I'm reviewing Al Waha Honey...smoked it again tonight just an hour ago to make sure my review would be accurate. I smoked it on my 26" Syrian with only a few very small holes in the aluminum foil and one quick lighting golden coal.

The cut is finer than usual for Al Waha and there with more molasses, the ma'assel is generally quite sticky. It is slightly orange coloured. There's a strong sweet smell as soon as one opens the bag and the taste matches the smell quite accurately.
At first, Al Waha Honey has a slight tobacco flavour but is generally very weak as it seems to be the case with Al Waha tobaccos..after a minute or two however the flavour kicks in and the smoke becomes quite full....the flavour, though pleasant, is hard to place at first: there's a definite honey taste but more like honey flavoured cereal or something than regular honey...there's also another flavour along with it that I have now realized tonight tastes just like white cranberry juice (or maybe slightly like white grape juice) It is slightly sweet sour but pleasant....nose-wise the flavour is rather neutral and compared to other flavours i couldn't pick up much...
The smoke is full but very light on the throat...definitely mellow. Smokerings were definitely possible but the smoke niether dried out my throat nor felt harsh in my lungs (I have asthma so I tend to be sensitive to that)
The Buzz was not as strong as I have experienced with some flavours (Nakhla Banana)It was more a bodybuzz then a headbuzz, relaxed muscles and such which I enjoy a lot...I don't feel dizzy or nauseaous in any way, easily could have smoked a few more bowls but definitely unwound after a day of studying...also no lack of coordination or anything
Generally this is a pleasant smoke even though it is almost a bit too sweet for my taste and so I enjoy it more when mixed with another weaker flavour. I very much enjoyed it when I drank some aged Pear Schnapps along with it  as it complimented the Pear Flavour nicely so I would imagine mixing it with any Pear Flavoured ma'assel would be a good combination I would give it a 7/10 when smoked on its own but 8/10 as a mixing flavour...If you're into sweet flavours it is definitely worth a try....

Oh also...I ordered Al Waha Apple, Double Apple, Coconut, Cherry, Cola, Five Star, Mint, Peach, Lemon and Strawberry from Social Smoke today via Global EMS which means they should be here in 6-9 days when I will review them as I try them.....