What To Use? Help?

camoman101

Ok, so I'm going to make my own hookah, and have been looking into what material to use. I found ONE article which basically just said that copper is a terrible thing to use. So if not copper, what materials could I use. If possible could you provide a list from best to worst? I've heard that glass is good, and I can work with it a little. Input? Thanks

Most hookahs use a combination of brass/steel and glass.

With that said, if you're building your own, the easiest materials to work with are those you can find in your plumbing section. Avoid ABS and PVC for anything but fittings to conjoin two pieces.

If you're trying for a personal use hookah, a liquor bottle or Heineken keg make good bases. The downstem can be acrylic, aluminum, brass, or any other material that won't impart flavor or odor.

For the bowl, stick to clay.

The base can be made of pretty much what ever you would like. Glass is often preferred because its easy to clean and doesn't hold on to the smells very much. For the downstem, this are the best materials in order from best to worst (my opinion) Glass-Brass-Stainless steel-Copper. Copper isn't as bad as people make it out to be, the worst you'll get from it is large amounts of green gunk every time you clean the hookah.