Bowl Suggestions

Blairbear

I'm not going to lie, my hookah experience is rather limited, and the times I have smoked were in hookah bars where I had nothing to do with the setup. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the particulars of the hookahs I've smoked, but I've done plenty of research and I understand the principles as to how it works, but as I compile my supply list I have a pretty important gray area that could use some clarity. I need advice as to what sort of bowl would be good to go with. Any and all advice for a first-time builder would be awesome, but bowls are the biggest mystery for me.

Well, I gurantee you that a majority of the members will say go Phunnel, Funnel, Phunel, or Funel. However they decide to spell it. I have no personal experience with one, however I am used to the regular bowl. I like them alot, but my opinion is kinda biased. I am not for sure, but from my understanding, with Phunnels you use more Shi-Sha, it has a messed up hole setup, and the coal setup is messed up. With regular bowls, if there is such a thing. How about non-phunnel bowls? We will stick with that. Anywho, non-phunnel bowls, work with a multitude of hole setups and can use any amount of shi-sha and you can setup coals to taste. Much more beginner friendly. I say that after you get the hang of a normal bowl, jump up to the phunnel level. Just my two cents.

Happy Hookah.

QUOTE (semiaverage711 @ Mar 25 2008, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I gurantee you that a majority of the members will say go Phunnel, Funnel, Phunel, or Funel. However they decide to spell it. I have no personal experience with one, however I am used to the regular bowl. I like them alot, but my opinion is kinda biased. I am not for sure, but from my understanding, with Phunnels you use more Shi-Sha, it has a messed up hole setup, and the coal setup is messed up. With regular bowls, if there is such a thing. How about non-phunnel bowls? We will stick with that. Anywho, non-phunnel bowls, work with a multitude of hole setups and can use any amount of shi-sha and you can setup coals to taste. Much more beginner friendly. I say that after you get the hang of a normal bowl, jump up to the phunnel level. Just my two cents.

Happy Hookah.

After checking the price of this "phunnel/funnel" bowl, I assure you I don't have that kind of bank to throw at just a bowl. As far as normal bowls go, are there any particular brands/models/materials that make for a better smoke?

I don't think regular (non-phunnel) bowls differ much from one another so they all would be pretty much the same apart from the amount of shisha you can use per bowl. A medium sized MYA bowl should be fine, they are standard bowls that come with all MYA hookahs and work perfectly fine.

I’ve smoked out of a lot of bowls mya, mod, phunnel, Egyptian. And all have their own way to set them up so you don’t burn the shisha and it starts to get harsh. Some bowls will hold more than others but I love using my phunnel bowl and it holds just the same amount as a mya bowl around 30g. Set up isn’t hard if you go with a phunnel (which I would recommend) look on the forum there are past posts all over about how to set it up. You’ll get more smoke and flavor out of a phunnel than any other bowl, unless you can find a superchief. I’ve been looking everywhere for one.

If you got any questions ask away. happy.gif

Yeah, funnels can get expensive. A medium sized bowl is fine, but I've never had luck with the shallow bowls. Some people prefer them to save shisha, but really you can just partially fill a deep bowl and give it a few more minutes to heat up. It works the same way.