Wip: Cocktail Shaker Hookah

NKGhost

Hey everybody,

Well, this is my first post, and I thought I'd start it off with a Work In Progress (WIP)

I've been smoking hookah for a little bit over a year, I've had 2 hookahs so far, and finally my second one is starting to break down. I figured I would just build one until I decide what kind of hookah I want for when my friends come over.

I will be editing/updating this thread with pictures and how the building process is going so far.

The Idea: Use a stainless steel cocktail shaker, preferably one with a steel bottom, plexi-glass mid section (to see the liquid) and then a stainless steel top to add the fittings/hoses and bowl.

If I can find one that has both the shell I am looking for and a clear plastic cup that sits inside will be even better for cleaning/building.

I'm thinking I'll take the little cup lid that comes on top, flip it upside down and try to make my own cup out of that, using a fitting from a hookah on the top so I can still use clay bowls if needed.

I will take the 2nd metal piece that comes off (revealing essentially a metal cup) and use some plexiglass to seal it into a chamber. I'll drill the 3-4 holes needed to allow smoke up into that chamber, which will have the hose inlets drilled on the top. And a central hole to allow the downstem to pass through it.

I'm thinking for the hose connections, I'll use the quick disconnect Idea that many air compressors come with (since I have a bunch in the garage to work with) I'll use a clear 6-9ft of 1/2inch thick hosing, followed by a plastic mouth piece (I might make a handle, I'm just not sure what I want to make it out of yet.

I'll either make my own downstem, or use one from a larger hookah that can reach from the bowl on top, down into the water chamber.

Since the hookah will probably be top heavy since the bottom is smaller in diameter, and there will be heavier pieces on top. I'll make a circular base/stand that will have a hole in the middle to center and steady the hookah.

****EDIT**** I've added a quick MS Paint, concept Idea.

The RED is to show what is clear/plexiglass.

Updates will soon come!

Any ideas, opinions, help are greatly appreciated!

Kevin Hookah.gif Edited by NKGhost

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (NIXmx @ Mar 31 2008, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any update?

I think with these smaller homemades, they're going for intricate designs and not being able to implement them.

Someone posted what could be the start of a homemade by using a Heineken keg for the base. I think that's the best way to go...

Hey guys,

I apologize for the lack of updates, work and school have been really heavy so I haven't been able to get on and update.

I decided to scrap the cocktail shaker design because I decided I want to make a larger hookah. I bought a rectangular glass jar from Target that had a stainless steel lid, used a 3/4inch brasspipe for the downstem in 1 corner of the hookah top that connects to a female plug on top to put the rubber grommet/bowl and on the other corner across I drilled another hole to screw in a male quick disconnect part for an air compressor. The hose is a clear 10ft long hose that I cut in half with a home made handle that resembles one in another thread and then uses an air compressor fitting to lock into the quick-disconnect system.

The hookah has a large chamber, but hits like a champ. The only complaint I have (and the reason why I am going to toss this one and make a new hookah) is because the metal lid does not create an air tight seal against the glass so I must use tape around it to get that air-tight seal. I will take a pic tomorrow and add it here.

I was thinking of making a crazy triple chamber hookah using 3 plexiglass cylinders to either triple filter the smoke, or go crazy and have 3 downstems located in 1 hookah. Allowing 3 people to smoke at the same time with 3 different bowls of shisha on top. I think it would be interesting to see a large cylinder hookah that has 3 chambers stacked and each chamber using a different flavor =)

I'll update soon!

QUOTE (NKGhost @ Apr 1 2008, 03:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of making a crazy triple chamber hookah using 3 plexiglass cylinders to either triple filter the smoke, or go crazy and have 3 downstems located in 1 hookah. Allowing 3 people to smoke at the same time with 3 different bowls of shisha on top. I think it would be interesting to see a large cylinder hookah that has 3 chambers stacked and each chamber using a different flavor =)

Cool idea and it would be cool to see done. I think there would be a problem from the smoke mixing in the vase and water being flavored from the shishas, but it may work out well if each bowl has good mixing flavors.

QUOTE (Jeff_T @ Apr 1 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (NKGhost @ Apr 1 2008, 03:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool idea and it would be cool to see done. I think there would be a problem from the smoke mixing in the vase and water being flavored from the shishas, but it may work out well if each bowl has good mixing flavors.

Well IMO it definetly sounds like a good idea. It would be awesome if you could have one hookah and have three different flavours going in it.

-H&S

I think multiple stems connecting to the same chamber would be difficult to implement.

You would have to have the pressure regulated through both stems, and even then, you would have to take turns.

QUOTE (teq @ Apr 2 2008, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think multiple stems connecting to the same chamber would be difficult to implement.

You would have to have the pressure regulated through both stems, and even then, you would have to take turns.

I think you mis-read what I had written. It's 3 SEPERATE chambers stacked ontop of one another. There will be 3 seperate bowls, with each of it's own downstems and hose-inlets and if I have the time and energy 3 seperate purge-valves.

QUOTE (NKGhost @ Apr 3 2008, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you mis-read what I had written. It's 3 SEPERATE chambers stacked ontop of one another. There will be 3 seperate bowls, with each of it's own downstems and hose-inlets and if I have the time and energy 3 seperate purge-valves.

I was commenting on the "triple filter" design.

Three chambers still seems like a pain to have to clean... you'd probably be better off putting them side by side.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (teq @ Apr 4 2008, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (NKGhost @ Apr 3 2008, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was commenting on the "triple filter" design.

Three chambers still seems like a pain to have to clean... you'd probably be better off putting them side by side.

Well, I have a hookup on getting custom Acrylic/plexiglass pieces made and I might make the chambers interlockable by screwing into one another. I'm still trying to figure it out myself, but I might just have them next to one another.