I'm Building A Hookah - Have Some Questions

scozzy4

Hey guys, after seeing the 7-foot Sultan on hookah-shisha.com, I've become inspired to build my own 7 foot hookah (I just can't afford a $600 hookah lol). Anyway, I was wondering what the maximum feasible length of a stem would be before it becomes too difficult to drag a good amount of smoke. I know that the actual hookah in the Sultan is not actually 7 feet long, but I'd like to make one that's as tall as possible.

You should maybe just build a hookah out of some cheap junk just to experiement with giant stems before you try to make a masssive masterpiece... this probably isn't really helpful but you didnt get any other replies, so now its the best you got... biggrin.gif

if you are going to have a 7' stem, your best bet would be to go with a narrower diameter on the stem. A wide diameter will take all the wind out of you just to get it all the way down let alone pull through the water

If you are successful in your endevours you have to show us pictures and stuff. Because creating a masterpiece like that would be amazing.

real quick wanted to add, that the use of a sterling engine in the vase would probably make the neg pressure i was talking about. Basically put a small piston in the stem, and the engine itself runs off of simple difference in heat, hot or cold. So it would make a continuos light draw on the stem, and probably work wonderfully. http://www.stirlingengine.com/

Thanks for the replies, guys. Another question... I've noticed on the forums that there seems to be a debate between what material is best for the stem. Some say brass is the best, but not good for your health. So seriously, brass or stainless steel? I'm not worried about weight, since this definitely won't be portable.

Also, I decided to make the stem about 4 feet long, with the rest of the height composed of the water base, a lighting base underneath that, and a decorative top that will function as a wind cover.

dude3516--is there another way I could get negative pressure without buying an expensive sterling engine? Maybe some sort of pump mechanism? Edited by scozzy4