Hookahs are for Drug users! ... No!

Markymark

My story so far:My Mum and Dad recently found my Hookah, they took it from me saying it was a device use for drugs, they then went around asking all there friends about them who also said they were for drug users, they contined this streak of asking people and calling mea drug user for a while until they decided to ask the police hoping to prove me wrong, the ploce who said 'It is simple a pipe, used for smoking lagit tobacco, it has a plesent smell and taste' they finaly gave me my Hookah back, but It sill anoys me that people give me a funny look when I go to buy some coals, or Tobacco, why? there are a lot worse things, there children are probably drug users, alocholics who make trouble when they can, where as me and my friends have a hookah in my room, talking about random subjects, watching tv or playing music, just contemplating life.WHY DO THEY HAVE TO BE SO NARROW MINDED?!

Basicly, does any one else get this 'problem' at all?

When my brother Stew got his hookah, our mom was like "HASH PIPE!!!".  We explained it to her that it was for ma'assell.  She still doesn't like the idea of smoking it but there's nothing she can do.
Just laugh at people when they assume things like that.  Once you regain your composure, inform them on it.  Keep a printed copy of hookah history on hand for accusers to read.  I have a little 2 page dealy that I keep around, I can't remember where I got it but it has the history and a list of etiquette.  Usually people settle down after that.

I too was uneducated about the hookah before i first started. You cant
blame the ones who us uneducated on the subject.  All you can do
is blame the ones whe are unwilling to learn and the ones who are still
biased after they are educated. 

Every time we have a BBQ or Picnic in teh park i take my hookah and so do my friends.....We always get teh stares and comments....once the cops came and started questioning us....after 10 minutes they were smoking it with us....you will always get people uneducated in teh hookah question you.....its your job to set them straight
Happy smoking

• 2 weeks later...
Just this weekend, I helped my friend, Syndicated Chaos (for those who might remember), move.  A friend of ours, who is DEEPLY rooted in weed, piped up that she could have been getting high with us all the time, after I mentioned hookah.  The three of us (me, Stew, and SC) were quick to quell her naive mind of the thought.  After the discussion was had, she beccame intensly curious as to the traditional hookah experience was like.  We have yet to smoke with her because we have not set a date.  Although, this weekend should be fine for it.  yeah, I can see it now...whiskey, hookah, fun times, and one-liners.

[quote name='Soup']Just this weekend, I helped my friend, Syndicated
Chaos (for those who might remember), move.  A friend of ours, who
is DEEPLY rooted in weed, piped up that she could have been getting
high with us all the time, after I mentioned hookah.  The three of
us (me, Stew, and SC) were quick to quell her naive mind of the
thought.  After the discussion was had, she beccame intensly
curious as to the traditional hookah experience was like.  We have
yet to smoke with her because we have not set a date.  Although,
this weekend should be fine for it.  yeah, I can see it
now...whiskey, hookah, fun times, and one-liners.[/quote]

Take pics or video tape!!!

The first time i saw a hookah was at my dads place. He goes over sea alot and landed a cool little hookah that came in a "sniper" pack....very cool stuff. I instantly thought... holy crap, my dad smokes ganja! My fasther is a fairly straight arrow and it blew my mind... when i asked him about he told me he got it from a shop in kuwait and how its a fairly big social deal over there. He loaded up a bowl and the rest is history. But i was almost sure it was just a badass bong when i first saw it......consider me newly educated

• 2 weeks later...
I have had to give the whole speach on "I swear to G@D there ain't no pot in there" It is pretty annoying at times.

I do have to say though that six months ago if someone were to offer me
a smoke from a hookah I would have said "up your, I don't smake that
crap"

The really sad thing is I really wish I was enlightened to the joys of
hookah alot earlier. You see about six months ago I was taking out the
trash at work(I work at a gas station) and in one of the outside trash
cans someone had thrown away a hookah. I thought to myself "damn kids"
and threw it in the dumpster. It looked like a small egyptian, small
but bigger then a jr. model. It had a green base and if my memory suits
me, had multiple hoses. If I knew then what I know now. Granted it was
more then likely damaged in some way and it would have needed a very
good cleaning because I am almost certain it was "misused", but it
probably wasn't anything I couldn't fix or clean myself.

If I knew then what I know now. Yeah, I'm still kickin myself for
letting that on go. I just try to tell myself It was probably totally
wrecked, oh well.

I was introduced to hookahs at the ripe old age of 17.  Now, at the even riper age of 18, hookah has become a traditional social experience.  All of my friends love it.  I have never met a person who smoked with us who did not like it.
I like how people concepts and notions change suddenly with proper education.

• 1 month later...
i offered my parents to swab the contents of the bowl for a drug test-
they were skeptical for a couple weeks but now i can smoke liberally,
just not by myself. i even offered a urine sample- now they agree its a
cultural and social thing and doesent need ganj in it to make it any
better.

• 3 weeks later...
yeah, i just got mine in a box hid away in my closet along with my home made wine. I think my parents would freak out about both things even though the hookah is a little more legal for me... ^^"last time i smoked with some buddies we brought it in the evening to our towns community center and lit up the BBQ pit they had there to light our coals and roast some marshmellows for shmores. After a while someone yelled at us that they had called the cops. We decided to wait around to ask if it was cool if we used the BBQ pit at night but after 10 minutes nobody showed up. We got screwed out of a good hookah session since it totally killed the mood.

i was introduced to narghileh at 13(im 17 now) by my father at a hookah bar called the tea room.hes been smoking it for years before but i actually experienced it there.i dont smoke it at home much because my mom doesnt like me doing ity and likes to bitch about it,and my father pretends to get upset about it too just to make my mom happy.lol.but most of my friends who are Greek say bad things about it because of their narrow mindedness which pisses me off alot.
-------------------------------------------
ELLAS!!! HOORAH FOR NARGILEH!!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I've been a hooka smoker since three years. I started out by going to a
shisha bar with my friends here in quebec city. It's our "special
moments" since then.

I got rid of the parents problem by talking to them. My mom is quite
against anything she doesn't know, so I told them about the shisha bar
first, the ambience and all, then starting to make allusions about how
good was a good shisha once in a while. She started to wonder what it
was, so I explained her, and later, told her that I was gonna give a
hookah pipe to one of my friends for his birthday.

Two months later (last week), at MY 18th birthday, she offered me my
first hooka pipe. It was a bliss for me as it meant she accepted my
habits (shisha and others...), even if she didn't really liked them,
she knew I was responsible enough... It was of great symbolism to me,
as a proof of trust.

my parents will probably be on their death beds before i'd ever even consider telling them about my hookah smoking.. they are vehemently opposed to any type of smoking, and there's nothing i could say that would do anything other than get them in a state of smoldering disappointment.  i figure it's better for all of us if i just keep it a secret i mean, sure i'm old enough to make my own decisions now, but part of growing up is knowing what falls within the boundaries of common sense

i decided to tell my parents about my hookah smoking just because i didnt like trying to hide it from them. i figured that they couldnt do much about it even if they didnt want me to smoke because im 18 and its legal, but to my suprise, they took it very well. they were unsure about it at first, but after explaining that marijauna would be the last thing id be smoking out of my hookah, they seemed alright with it

• 1 month later...
 Sorry if im bringing this post back from the dead, but i have a story to add.one of my freinds brought one of his freinds over to our house once for a kick back, and the freind seems to bee kindof a douche if you ask me, becasue he didnt drink or talk or anything..until we pulled out the hookah.He was obviously educated, and he knew its origin and what it was for. But he started spouting sh*t like " Your supporting terrorism" and stuff like that, becasue it comes from teh middle east. I wanted to kick him out of my house for being such a norrow mided douchebag... i couldent believe it. I told my freind not to bring him over anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Brandontw']But he started spouting sh*t like " Your supporting
terrorism" and stuff like that, becasue it comes from teh middle east.
I wanted to kick him out of my house for being such a norrow mided
douchebag.[/quote]

You should have kicked him in the face for being an ignoramous.

You could buy Tangiers Tobacco, made in the USA!Your purchase won't support terrorism, just a loud-mouthed opinionated jerk (me) and a couple of girls working their way through college.Sorry, that was unabashedly commercial.I vote we ban all manufacturers and retailers from the forum!

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, I'm going to hate going back to my hometown where they are ignorant as to what a hookah is... everyone is going to be like "WTF?!"... and then I'll have to explain. heh Especially to my parents.. but I'm sure my mother will actually like it.  But people will judge no matter what you do, so who cares. Do what you like.

• 2 weeks later...
Ugh. I'd never taint my hookah with drugs. But I imagine a lot of my peers assume that's what I use it for. And my parents probably would, if they knew :X

• 2 weeks later...
i showed my parents my hookah when i bought it, about a year or so ago. i showed it to them (we are a very open family), and they were curious about it. they knew i wasnt into drugs, and i lit it up for them. my dad liked it, but wasnt really as enthusiastic about it. my mom took a hit, and coughed, and said "thats worse than pot!" (my mom and dad are kinda potheads god i love them, though).
my dad died last december, so now my mom and i sit on the back porch some days, me smoking my hookah, and mom smoking her pipe... so now later, when im older, i can smoke my hookah and remember bonding with my mother on these days. god i love that blessed smoke...