What A Load Of Crap

Akkbar

QUOTE (Foos @ Sep 27 2007, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah thats pretty weak, as much as I love hookah, using culture as an excuse to bypass a law is upsetting.

Why? Whatever keeps them running their business is fine by me.

Cigs affect other people since they smoke it pretty much in the open whereas Hookah's are designed in a specific place meant for only Hookah smokers. Cigs affect those not even smoking via second hand smoke (the disgusting smell, etc.) while Hookah is private so it should be treated as such.

Plus it is their culture. Try denying an Englishman a pint after a game of football by banning alcohol and he'll argue that it's part of the english culture.

QUOTE (Gaara @ Oct 1 2007, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try denying an Englishman a pint after a game of football by banning alcohol and he'll argue that it's part of the english culture.

Ya'll just knew i'd pick up on this.

This is as very bad example. Beer probably should not be sold pre -or- post game. Football hooligans is not something i would want as part of my 'culture'

However. Try to deny an english gent his cricket? Now that is a whole other ball game wink.gif

JD

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Oct 1 2007, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try denying an Englishman a pint after a game of football by banning alcohol and he'll argue that it's part of the english culture.

This is as very bad example. Beer probably should not be sold pre -or- post game. Football hooligans is not something i would want as part of my 'culture'

However. Try to deny an english gent his cricket? Now that is a whole other ball game wink.gif

JD

A bad example? How about you stating that those who enjoy a pint with football are hooligans?

QUOTE (Gaara @ Oct 1 2007, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Oct 1 2007, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JD

A bad example? How about you stating that those who enjoy a pint with football are hooligans?

Spent much time in brixton lately?

Yes It's a generalisation. No need for getting one's panties in a twist.

JD

i dont mind if the hookah lounge stays open. what i DO mind is the potential for using 'culture' to get around other laws. Sihks are allowed to carry their cerimonial swords strapped to their chest, even in school and airports and whatever else. Why can't I? Oooh its part of their culture. Well, what farm kid hasnt had their own pocketknife with them at all times? Isn't that part of the white north american culture?

The Native American Church almost has the same thing.

http://www.nativeamericanchurch.com/law.html

But just because your of middle Eastern descent, doesn't mean it's traditonal to smoke hookah. They don't use it for ceremonial or religious purposes, so it can't exactly be covered under "freedom of religion" in the constitution.

• 1 month later...
REally, ya know my father and I did a family tree, and actually found out that there is a good chance one of our patriarchs was a viking.....so who's up for pillaging?? It's part of my culture after all, and also I'd like to challenge anyone here to Holmgang!! But honestly, the culture card shouldn't NEED to be played for this type of thing. It is an area, designated exclusively for smoking, and is private, so why shouldn't they let this stand. We have bars available for alcohol, yet public drunkeness is outlawed, so therefore we should shut down bars!?!? Comeon...this is rediculous

Yea its stupid they can use culture to bypass it. But im hoping the Muslims can take this country wide and perhaps use it to shut down all the bylaws everywere.

Then hopefully drag this to a supreme court with time.

Then the rest of us can simply argue it under the charter thereby making it legal for all.. its a nice dream.

Damn government's are getting far too overreaching.

Meth abuse & Cocaine abuse are growing nationwide everywere, but they still go after the hookah & smokers in general. Go figure.

QUOTE (dude3516 @ Nov 10 2007, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
REally, ya know my father and I did a family tree, and actually found out that there is a good chance one of our patriarchs was a viking.....so who's up for pillaging?? It's part of my culture after all, and also I'd like to challenge anyone here to Holmgang!! But honestly, the culture card shouldn't NEED to be played for this type of thing. It is an area, designated exclusively for smoking, and is private, so why shouldn't they let this stand. We have bars available for alcohol, yet public drunkeness is outlawed, so therefore we should shut down bars!?!? Comeon...this is rediculous

Yeah bro i'm 50% Norwegian and 25% Scandinavian!

So, where's my government supplied battle-axe and my little ID card that states that if i go into a home and kill everyone and roast the dog and burn the house down i get off scott-free cause i'm of Norse decent? I've been waiting.

Ohh, and i have alot of irish blood in me, so i should be able to buy under-age alcohol and get publicily drunk and fight with people i don't know.

That's it, i'm gonna go whine about it!