Do you believe in God?

Ghaleon

[quote name='MilqueToast']Interesting comments from most of you. I was raised Roman Catholic, and once logic hit me at around 8, I stopped buying the BS of the Catholic Church. I still clung to Christianity until I was about 14. At this point I claimed agnosticism, and after until about 5 months ago, this is where I stood. It seemed that I re-found God (as though such an "all-powerful" God would hide). It felt genuine. It felt like I had just been awakened from the best nap ever. I consider it a spiritual high. I'm taking several courses about different religions currently, and it just seems that logically, there is no absolute. Religion is completely devoid of logic. What makes smoke a purifying agent? The idea of reward through a moral life is completely negated in the Bible. One mistake costs Moses his Promised Land. Job gets royally screwed--but God gives him MORE in the end. Does that fix all the pain he felt? What about his former family, did they deserve to die and be in such agonizing pain? Why would one want to eat and drink even symbolic body/ blood? Not even Sigfreed and Roy (whose names I totally just butchered) compare as magicians to ANY of the "miracles"performed in the Bible. Are logical human beings to believe that technology can increase exponentially, but magic digresses to an even greater degree? Where are God's people now? Anyways, the more religions I study (even on a superficial degree), the more I am inclined to believe that all religions are illogical. Do I believe in God? Sure. As soon as he shows himself to be separate from religion.[/quote]

I have no idea what you're saying...please expatiate your position.
Please explain your beliefs without the Bible, I think I have demonstrated very well that it is a work of fiction. Without the bible, where is your belief/source for religious information?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Tangiers'][quote name='MilqueToast']Interesting comments from most of you. I was raised Roman Catholic, and once logic hit me at around 8, I stopped buying the BS of the Catholic Church. I still clung to Christianity until I was about 14. At this point I claimed agnosticism, and after until about 5 months ago, this is where I stood. It seemed that I re-found God (as though such an "all-powerful" God would hide). It felt genuine. It felt like I had just been awakened from the best nap ever. I consider it a spiritual high. I'm taking several courses about different religions currently, and it just seems that logically, there is no absolute. Religion is completely devoid of logic. What makes smoke a purifying agent? The idea of reward through a moral life is completely negated in the Bible. One mistake costs Moses his Promised Land. Job gets royally screwed--but God gives him MORE in the end. Does that fix all the pain he felt? What about his former family, did they deserve to die and be in such agonizing pain? Why would one want to eat and drink even symbolic body/ blood? Not even Sigfreed and Roy (whose names I totally just butchered) compare as magicians to ANY of the "miracles"performed in the Bible. Are logical human beings to believe that technology can increase exponentially, but magic digresses to an even greater degree? Where are God's people now? Anyways, the more religions I study (even on a superficial degree), the more I am inclined to believe that all religions are illogical. Do I believe in God? Sure. As soon as he shows himself to be separate from religion.[/quote]

I have no idea what you're saying...please expatiate your position.
Please explain your beliefs without the Bible, I think I have demonstrated very well that it is a work of fiction. Without the bible, where is your belief/source for religious information?[/quote]

Mmm...I was expanding on the idea that I cannot separate the God of the Bible with its religious implications of what God might possibly be. Other religion's Absolute (other relgions incl. Islam, Judaism, etc.) are in the same boat. I think I skipped an integral part of my little blurb. I'm not fighting the fight for Christianity, because it's just not logical to me. That's really where I was going with my little blurb. I can't completely negate the idea of there being a god, but I can, with conviction, say that I don't think he's the God of the Bible.

My source for religious information is various relgious texts from a plethora of religions. Aspects of religious beliefs are often so similar while claiming to be the "one" true religion, so it's hard for me to see that any of them can be correct. I want to believe there's a God, but I'm not really finding conclusive evidence either way. Coupled with my last response, does this make any more sense?

well I won't say I don't 100% believe in some kind of supreme being but I think it may be unlikely he exists. My reasons are purely scientific and based on genetics. In your body if we were to convert your DNA code into letters it would be about 3000 million letters. Now what is interesting is that of all this DNA only 10% codes for proteins that make up our bodies so in other words only 10% of this DNA actually does anything. Now just like I don't believe there are engineers out there that produce cars where only 10% of the components have a function I find it hard to believe that good would create DNA where only 10% of it has a function.

[quote name='PersianPride']well I won't say I don't 100% believe in some kind of supreme being but I think it may be unlikely he exists. My reasons are purely scientific and based on genetics. In your body if we were to convert your DNA code into letters it would be about 3000 million letters. Now what is interesting is that of all this DNA only 10% codes for proteins that make up our bodies so in other words only 10% of this DNA actually does anything. Now just like I don't believe there are engineers out there that produce cars where only 10% of the components have a function I find it hard to believe that good would create DNA where only 10% of it has a function.[/quote]

I'm no dna expert...But is it more likely that we only understand 10% of the total dna?

As for God & Dna, I can't see the connection. Engineers often create a multitude of system that never get used. Redundancy ect.

Whenever I am going near live eletrical cables i wear a fire retardent overall, IT's never had to be used, but that hardly makes it non functional? Just because we don't understand it's direct relevance?

And yes, I believe in God. However I could not quantify what i believe.

JD

8) [b][color=red][/color]