Need a new smaller sized hookah - Suggestions

Hi everyone!

I've been a hookah enthusiast for a several years now and a lurker of these forums for the past few years.

I bought a Chinese-made $12.99 special chrome-plate steel pumpkin hookah about 3 years ago and I finally threw it in the trash. The whole inner main shaft and the inner part of the shaft where the hoses attach has finally gotten so rusty-barnacle-crusty that I just couldn't do it anymore. My wife asked why it was smelling and tasting like piss and my first thought was "that's the rust...".

The down-tube, which is stainless-steel, and the bowl-stem and hose adapters, which are aluminum, were the only non-rusted pieces of the old hookah. Even the tray had rust spots on it. 

There's no hard feelings about the old hookah, but I definitely want to upgrade to a hookah that has a higher quality (and longer lasting) metal than chrome-plated steel. It isn't even that it just started rusting, but the rust finally effected the taste so adversely that it was time for it to go. To be honest it's had rust spots inside the shaft since the first time I used and, subsequently, washed it. I cared for it well and the stainless and aluminum parts held up great, but chrome-plated parts just spiraled down the rust-toilet since the first time it got wet.

Now what I'm looking for is a small (12-15") higher quality hookah that is all stainless or aluminum or some other material that is NOT chrome or zinc plated steel. The information that is out there, at least since I've been looking, varies widely and there are lots of fakes and knockoffs. Not that a fake is bad so long as the shaft, downstem, etc, are not made of plated steel. I've heard some things about brass, but that also corrodes and gets into another ballpark (price-wise) than I think my occasional usage warrants. Occasionally my hookah doesn't get used for 3-4 months and I want something that will hold up to that too.

I've been looking at MYA's, particularly the QT or the CHIC, but there are so many other brands and I have no idea where to start. So many sites list brands I've never heard of and most sites have very little to say about the construction of the pieces and fewer have any kind of reviews to go off of.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I also would like to say that my ideal price range would be $60 or less. I don't think that it'd be hard to find something that'll last for under 60.

I know I've read MYAs were good, but I was just curious, in the long run, if they hold up against rust? Does anyone know if they're all stainless or what they're made out of?

Also, I'm considering getting a vortex bowl. Right now I have a standard clay MYA bowl, and I haven't had any issues perse, but I'm looking for something better (aren't we all?).

As far as the size goes, small will be it for a while. At least until I get out of my condo and into a house with a man cave/smoking lounge. I set up my hookah on my kitchen island and there's a low-hanging light fixture, so anything over 20" would be too big.

Thanks for the replies!

I think I've decided on the MYA Bambino. It was a bit of a toss up between the QT and the Bambino, but my wife likes the Bambino.... So it looks like I'll be getting the Bambino. That and it comes with a nifty case. I know that a lot of people say the Bambino isn't able to be converted to a two hose hookah, but I saw a YouTube video where a guy unscrewed the purge and screwed on a hose adapter and it worked. I would primarily only use one hose, but I like the option of having two hoses.

I have two hose adapters from my old pumpkin hookah and was wondering if they would work on the Bambino? Are hose adapters usually the same thread?

Also, this might be opening a can of worms, but if I get the Bambino will I regret not getting the QT?

Edited by guyakaguy
Extra letter

I think from general reviews from people either the bambino or the QT should make you a happy camper, so you're good on that choice. The threads on your pipe and ports I can't help you with, since I just don't know if it'll fit :P But really, one hose is best!