Multiple Reviews

OBXSurfer

Crap is all I can say...I bought one of those mixer packs...got watermelon, mint, peach, cherry, and orange....all shitty. Not worth it at all. You could probably go get some lawn clipping mix it with honey and it would taste better...it was that bad...tasted like you were smoking a stick...mint was the only one that had a little bit of flavor, but I could have gotten the same effect by licking the air around the bag it came in...dont waste your money. I can imagine if the 5 flavors I tried all sucked, that any of the others would be any better. I havent heard anything about the black label stuff though..which is another herbal version.

--Nick

• 2 weeks later...
I got 6 packs of soex with my hookah order, I read this review before I tried it so i was very cautious. This guy above me says it all. I opened up the grape flavor, it was wet more than sticky, seemed kind of oily, i pack it anyways. I had the coals all ready on top of the bowl and before i got any smoke i stopped to toss it out. It tastes NASTY. I thought to myself, "eh, the other 5 flavors will probably suck too". So I threw some romman on instead. biggrin.gif

• 6 months later...
actually ive really been enjoying soex heres some reviews

WaterMelon 9/10
Smell - really really good
Taste - First 2 bowls were very weak may be my lack of hookah experience but I can get a bowl of this tasting pretty good now
smoke - huge white clouds smile.gif
Overall - besides lack of buzz i have no problem with it , take a shot or two if you really need a buzz lol

Vanilla By Itself 3/10 , Mixed 7/10
Smell - alright
Taste - Weak, barely anything, is that wood flavor? yumm
Added Strawberry, alright still not very good
smoke - again big white clouds
Overall - ill stay away from this flavor

ChocoMint 10/10
Smell -Ummm, andes candies
Taste - Amazing, love it, so good
Smoke - guess what? big nice white clouds
Overall - Great Smell, Great Taste, Great Hookah Experience smile.gif

Grapes 4/10
Smell - hard to explain but like grapes, not like purple grape tho
Taste - Ehh Strong grapes taste, i was expecting more grape soda like ...
Smoke - Tons, 2 coals, it was fun lol
Overall - could be used as air freshener but not for smoking, disappointing flavor

Soon To Review Strawberry (by itself), Blueberry, Silver Fox, Wild Cherry, Sweet Melon, Mint, and Orange.

But im not sure what everyone is doing to make soex taste so bad, i dont have much hookah experience and i got it tasting pretty damn good, better then the bowls of who knows what teh hookah bar has Edited by zeppyrkr

• 3 weeks later...
Soex Sweet Melon

Set up for all reviews is 22" Egyptian, Egyptian clay bowl, 2 Pharoah's Elite Golden Quick lite coals, Reynolds Heavy duty foil, and cold water in base.

Smell- Melon like but something else like a faint mint scent. (might be the herbal part)

Cut- Looks like shreded bamboo skewer material. Not much juice either rather dry.

Taste- Like it smells.

Smoke- Thick dense clouds.

Buzz- None, but I wasn't expecting any

Duration- 30 minutes, lack of juice must have sped things up a bit.

Overall- 6/10 Didn't like the shreaded bamboo look, too dry, not as melon like as I thought it would be. I won't bother with it again.

Soex Silver Fox

Cut- Same as above but had some juice.

Smell- Licorice and mint no apple smell at all.

Taste- Like it smells

Smoke- Good dense clouds.

Buzz- None

Duration- 45 minutes

Overall- 7/10 Taste was decent, but still don't like the cut, could have been juicier
Edited by Dunkel!

Soex Blackberry
[b]
Set up- 22" Egyptian, Egyptian clay bowl, 2 Pharoah's Elite Golden Quick lite coals, Reynolds Heavy duty foil, and cold water in base.

Smell- Berry scented but something else like a faint mint scent. (might be the herbal part)

Cut- Looks like shreded bamboo skewer material. Decent amount of juice

Taste- Had a definite berry taste but not necessarily Blackberry. Also same mint aftertaste.

Smoke- Decent smoke, nice clouds could have been denser.

Duration- 40 minutes

Overall- 6/10 Didn't like the shreaded bamboo look, Not as berry tasting as I would have liked, smoke not as dense as it could have been. I won't bother with it again.
[/b]

Soex Rooh Afza Cool (described as Rooh Afza is a popular natural cold drink in India and Pakistan. Made from extracts of citrus flowers, rose, and fruits.)

Set up- 22" Egyptian, Egyptian clay bowl, 2 Pharoah's Elite Golden Quick lite coals, Reynolds Heavy duty foil, and cold water in base.

Smell- Weird kinda rose incense artificial scent.

Cut- Looks like shreded bamboo skewer material. Juicy.

Taste- Yuck! Tastes like old ladies perfume smells! blink.gif

Smoke- Decent amount of smoke but still yuck!

Duration- 10 minutes Couldn't finish it.

Overall- 1/10 Didn't like the shreaded bamboo look, nasty tasting, cheap rose perfume smell, waste of coals, need I say more? angry.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Soex Choco Mint

Shisha Cut: Looks like shredded bamboo skewer material. Decent amount of juice

Hookah Type: 22" Egyptian

Duration: 40 minutes

Bowl: Egyptian Clay Bowl

Foil / Screen: Reynolds Heavy Duty 1 layer

Coal / Amount: 2 Pharoah's Elite Golden Quick lites

Smoke: Decent amount of smoke, nice clouds!

Buzz: None, but I wasn't expecting one.

Smell / Flavor: Smelled kinda like a Junior Mint. Had a nice chocolate mint taste. Had an after taste that I didn't care for, but overall it was the best Soex flavor I've tried.

Rating (1-10): 7.5 I still have to ding the points for the bamboo skewer texture, needed to be juicier, and after taste didn't help either. If you have a tobacco free friend who wants to try the hookah get this flavor or Silver Fox. So far they are the only acceptable ones I've tried.

Soex Mixed Fruit

Shisha Cut: Looks like shredded bamboo skewer material. Not dry but needed to have more juice. "I likah da juice!" LOL

Hookah Type: 22" Egyptian

Duration: 30 minutes

Bowl: Egyptian Clay Bowl

Foil / Screen: Reynolds Heavy Duty 1 layer

Coal / Amount: 2 Pharoah's Elite Golden Quick lites

Smoke: Decent smoke, nice clouds could have been denser.

Buzz: None, but I wasn't expecting one.

Smell / Flavor: Smelled somewhat fruity with the usual mint smell and a soapy smell for lack of a better term. Tasted about like it smelled.

Rating (1-10): 5 Usual Soex texture, lack of juice, soap smell and taste, and usual after taste.

• 3 weeks later...
Soex Cherry

Shisha Cut: Thin but with a few stems..And a bit juicy/drippy

Duration: 30/40 minutes till the flavor went..about an hour or so till it burned

Foil: Some randon 'double layer' one i had laying around tongue.gif

Coal: 2 Excelsior Swift Lites

Smell: Smelled very cherryish laugh.gif not the candy sweet type.. Just a normal cherry scent..

Flavour: First couple of hits where great.. Could really taste the cherry..Wasnt a candy type, it was sweet but not what an Al Fakher cherry would be like. After a while the flavour weakened but was not too bad..

Smoke: Wow! Thick huge white clouds! bigger than when i am smoking Al Fahker or Nakhla tongue.gif really easy to pull off shisha tricks with this..was pulling out hoops like there was no tommorrow! laugh.gif

Buzz: None really..

Overall: This shisha is decent..would suit first timers or younger smokers! the flavour is ok, but dies out a little too quick..

Rating: I would give it.. 6.5/10

Soex Double Apple

Shisha Cut: Juicy and thin..but as all Soex, you will find a couple of long stems..

Duration: 40 minutes till the flavor went..about an hour or so till it burned

Foil: Same as above happy.gif

Coal: Also same as above tongue.gif

Smell: Not to much of a strong scent.. You can make out the apples with a hint of anise though.

Flavour: Quite good!! Was a very nice flavoursome apple..while it lasted! tongue.gif

Smoke: Very thick huge white clouds!!

Buzz: None at all.

Overall: Great for the reasons i stated above..and also is a nice tasting flavour, great when mixed with other Soex flavours..

Rating:
I'd give this a 7.5/10 smile.gif gonna write more reviews soon, cant see the screen right now because im smoking a blueberry which is giving me shockingly huge clouds blink.gif lol happy smoking! laugh.gif Edited by jabz

• 5 months later...
SOEX Vanilla

this actually gives off some okay smoke. it's not bad as far as that goes. 5/10

the flavor is kind of plasiky, though. but after the coal has been going for a while, it's not bad.4/10

SOEX Chocolate Mint

Good flavor. 7/10

smoke is okay. 5/10

VERY messy. ZOMG! it is so messy!! it stains my fingers yellow.

SOEX Golden Apple

very synthetic flavor. i do not like it. it tastes alright as long as you are not expecting it to taste like acutal apples. 3/10

smoke is okay 5/10

no buzz, of course. it's sugar cane, not tobacco.

For me, SOEX is pretty pointless to smoke by itself. i may mix it with something to add vannilla flavor or if i want to weaken the buzz of another tobacco. what i have done with soex that has worked great is i'd use it in my phunnel bowl if i don't want to fill the entire thing with my expensive tobacco. i'd fill 3 sections of the bowl with Tangiers, leaving 3, equal spaces between sections. i'd fill the spaces with SOEX. doing this, you can put 3 japanese easy lites on those spaces with Tangiers and not have to put so much shisha in the bowl. (or just get a mod. much better)

not something i like to smoke on a regular basis, but if i'm smoking with someone who says they don't want to smoke tobacco, then i have the SOEX that i can offer. Edited by Dom

• 2 weeks later...
Setup: "18" Black Pharoah Hookah
1-2 SwiftLite coals" for all:

Soex Peach
Appearance: Like thing splinters, nice and moist though

Smell: Mouth watering

Taste: surprisingly good. to enhance the flavour, i'd advise Lipton Peach icetea in the base

Smoke: Thick plooms, brilliant,

Buzz: Slight buzz, and still relaxing despite non tobacco content

overall: 7/10, as the flavour could be stronger and the buzz more prominent.

Soex Watermelon
Appearence: same as peach

Smell: again, amazing :)

Taste: Brilliant. When it gets going, it's very strong and amazing

Smoke: Thick plooms

Buzz: Again, only slight.

overall: 9/10, the flavour is brilliant

Soex Double Apple
Appearence: "" ""

Smell: Like apple sweets :D:D

Taste: Great, again once it's going it's like biting into an apple, and it has that anise background taste which i love about the Al Fakher tobacco Double Apple. People who knock Soex are being too harsh on it i think, too set in their ways with tobacco.

Buzz: "" ""

Overall: 8/10, not much of a buzz, but otherwise i can't complain.

Overall for Soex: I think it's amazing for people like me who don't want to take tobacco, nicotine or tar into our bodies, and it burns for as long as tobacco, gives as good (better?) plumes than tobacco and tastes, for the most of it, just as good, once the bowls been heating for 10 minutes or so. If you really need a buzz, try either mixing a corresponding flavour of tobacco in with the Soex, or just have a few shots before hand ;)

xxx

• 2 weeks later...
Soex Bombay Pan Masala
Appearance: Reminds me of very fine mulch! Not that moist

Smell: If you are indian it smells delicious.

Taste: Astounding taste if you have ever had the pleasure of chewing pan masla it tastes just like it. And even on my el cheapo chinese hookah the flavor lasted the entire session!

Smoke: Again even on my cheapo chinese one I pulled clouds!

Buzz: None really but I was trying to avoid tobacco anyway so not a negative

overall: 10/10, Flavor lasted the entire time! smoked well! And because the flavor means something to me I loved it. If you are Indian try this and get your friends to try it as well.
I also broke this out at a party full of nonindians and they loved it as well!

Soex Mint

Appearance: Again mulch

Smell: minty!

Taste: It was faint at first and then it died out

Smoke: clouds!

Buzz: None

overall: 2/10, Where is my flavor? Did you steal it?

• 1 month later...
SOEX Watermelon

Setup: egyptian caravan 22", screen, natural coals

Appearence: finely shredded mulch, very very sticky!

Smell: Strange chemical smell?, after acclimating you can kind of smell watermelon

Taste: I could only taste that really nauseating chemical stuff.. not even after 15 mins did this nasty flavor change

Smoke: A fair amount of smoke

Buzz: lightheaded from sucking on the hose too hard.

Overall: 2/10 - smell almost made me throw up..

SOEX ChocoMint

Setup: Same as above

Appearance: Same as above

Smell: amazingly the chocomint didnt have that weird chemical smell.. smelled kind of like mint chocolate chip ice cream

Taste: very nice!! at first I could only taste mint but after a while you got the chocolate and a hint of sweetness

Smoke: THICK CLOUDS, couldnt see the TV at times xD

Buzz: none

Overall: 9/10 - out of all the soex I did yesterday this is the only one I would EVER do again. It actually tasted like a spoon ful of mint chocolate chip ice cream. You get chocolate flavor on the tip of your tongue and all the mint in the back of your throat. Will have to smoke this until I get some real shisha.

***I have to note that all my soex shisha (except for the chocomint) had a very strange chemical smell to it.. It's a nauseating smell and I might have just gotten a bad batch or something. However on a positive note I opened all six sample packs of soex shisha and they were all very wet and sticky. Just that crappy smell ruined everything.. :/

Soex Double Apple

Setup: Standard 21" Egyptian
Water+Ice in vase
Reyonalds Wrap tin foil
3 Jap style coals

Smell: Smells like double apple, very fruity, no anise smell that I could detect.

Smoke: It was tasty for the first 10 minutes til I burned the bowl really badly, and it tasted terrible. So I stopeed and put on the next review.

Buzz: None

Overall, its a tasty flavor but since I burned it, I cannot conclusively tell you what I think. Something strange did happen though, right before I burned it badly, it got really sweet (sickeningly) and then it went harsh.

5/10

Soex Chocomint

Setup: Same as above.

Smell: Smells like chocolate, not so much mint, but theres something else there.

Smoke: It was tasty, lasted about 45 minutes til my coals ran out. The mint was not present until about 15 mins in.

Overall: Very good, I like it. 1 point off because of lack of mint into the session.

9/10

• 1 month later...
I have tried strawberry,bannana,mint,silver fox,watermelon and orange

i had some problems with silver fox's taste it was very good at first but the aftertaste was terrible,

strawberry may be my favorite so far, starts off strong and gets lighter after every few pulls but never dissapears entirely.

watermelon is my second favorite, it is a little sweet but you get used to it

bannana was good kinda sourish like a runtz candy bannana (which i love)

orange doesnt last long but is great while it does

with mint the colder the water the better makes you feel like you just brushed your teeth xD

i will try other flavors when i get better at getting the sessions started

i used to only smoke starbuzz tobaccos but due to health issues i switched to soex and as stated 40 zillion times in this thread the lack of buzz is dissapointing

but it gets 9/10 with me only because its messy and the textures are bad at times but the tastes are excellent

• 1 month later...
SOEX BLUEBERRY

CUT- VERY FINE/ LOTS OF STEMS

SMELL- MINTY, NOT LIKE BLUEBERRY

SMOKE- THICK CLOUDS

TASTE- A VERY SLIGHT HINT OF BLUEBERRY BUT TASTE MORE MINTY. ALSO TASTES LIKE TIRE RUBBER?!?! nea.gif

OVERALL- 3/10

SOEX MANGO (BEST I HAVE HAD FROM SOEX SO FAR)

CUT- VERY FINE CUT, LIKE WOOD CHIPS

SMELL- VERY FRUITY/ MANGO

SMOKE- THICK CLOUDS

TASTE- TASTE LIKE MANGO BUT AFTER ABOUT 15 MINS IT GOES AWAY

OVERALL- 6/10

• 2 years later...
I only smoke herbal and must say I do enjoy SOEX. I know many people on here hate it but I don't care, I do enjoy smoking SOEX.
It's incredibly cheap for me, I buy 10x 50g boxes for £10 including postage so at a current rate of £1 - $1.61, I don't think that's a bad thing... Most local stores and stalls try to sell it at 4-5 times that.

I have found some flavours that I won't ever buy again, some that I will always stock and buy lots of.

For review purposes, all on same setup.

Setup : 32" no-brand with trad. clay bowl inc. screen and wind cover.
All Soex is stored in pots, acclimated, stirred and all juices soaked in.

I won't review appearance as I'm smoking it, not sleeping with it.

1 Swift Lite Coal used.

[u]On all flavours, this seems to be constant for me - [/u]

Smoke : Thick plumes of white smoke, easy to hoop/ring with.

Longevity : 30-60 depending on amount in bowl and frequency of pull. I use a screen and pack the bowl medium tight leaving a reasonable gap (1mm or so) from top of bowl for screen.

Cleaning : Easy peasy. I don't know what people complain about. The Soex bunches up when done, can usually just pick it out and pop it into the bin in one piece using tongs, or just upturn the bowl and drop it in. Wipe with a piece of bog roll/kitchen towel and you're shiny again.

[u]Flavour by Flavour reviews -[/u]

[b][u]Orange[/u][/b]

Smell : Not really orange, more like fizzy drink orange, great if you like 'Mirinda'

Taste : Sharp cooling taste, again tastes like cheap fizzy drink orange rather than the fruit. Tingles slightly, no harsh cokey taste.

Score : 8/10

[b][u]Bubblegum[/u][/b]

Smell : Bang on... Reminds me of those fun blue drinks we used to get at school.

Taste : Lovely. Tastes just like bubblegum Icecream, which I love!

Score : 10/10

[b][u]Mint-choc[/u][/b]

Smell : I don't know what this smells like, but it ain't chocolate and it ain't mint.

Taste : Yuck. Not even cheap candy chocolate tastes this bad. The swiss would take this crap to court if it claimed to be like their chocolate.

Score : -1/10 (seriously, yuck.)

(will add more as soon as possible)