Chamomile/tobacco Shisha--Whoa

Kyashe

Hey all,

Long time browser, infrequent poster. I just sat down with a hookah recipe that I think you guys are gonna dig. I took some Celestial Seasonings (the factory is right down the street from where I grew up!) "Honey Vanilla Chamomile" herbal tea, emptied it into a bowl and mixed with agave nectar and glycerin. I microwaved it briefly to let everything heat and soak in a bit (dunno if it helped, but it made me feel accomplished). Mixed this with some AF Honey shisha at a ratio of about 1/3 tea, 2/3 shisha. The base is filled with ice water mixed with a strong brew of the same tea. Just lit it up in my vortex bowl, and it is AWESOME! Hope something like this works for you guys; I love it!

~Ky

Very Awesome!!!!

I have some tea I may give this a whirl with... too bad I am out of AF honey though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Well, I tried this as a stand alone over the weekend. I used the same type of tea, with glycerin, honey, and chopped pineapple and coconut.

I emptied the tea bags into a small container, then added in a bit of chopped pineapple and coconut. Then I added a bit of honey to the top and stirred, then glycerin, and repeated until it had about the right consistency. Heated it up for 30 seconds in the microwave and stirred some more. Left it for an hour or so, then packed it and smoked it. It ended up not generating enough smoke so I added a bit more glycerin to it. Then it got a little too wet and it became hard to pull so I poked some better holes through it and loosened it up. That seemed to do it, it became easy to pull.

The taste was pretty good and smooth and it didn't get harsh. The smell was fantastic. And it actually generated some good, thick smoke. I still have some left, as the amount I left made a bigger batch than I expected, but it was definitely great. I'll make it again and maybe experiment with some different added flavourings. I can't really say the exact amount of everything I used total as it was a lot of add a little bit then mix, then add a bit more, so it was very exact. I just hope I can reproduce it later.

I haven't tried it without the chopped fruit so I can't really compare, but I didn't use a ton of fruit so any flavouring was pretty subtle. It would probably be comparable without the fruit. I plan to experiment with maybe a higher ratio of fruit, or different fruits, or perhaps mint. My next batch I will make up without any fruit though so I can compare.

Ah, so there was flavoring besides the fruit also.

Let me know how the comparison goes!

[quote name='angekfire' timestamp='1311166965' post='516632']
Next time I make it, I'll try to be more accurate with measurements of ingredients, but if you want to do a trial & error, it is fairly cheap to experiment with yourself.
[/quote]
imgonna try this soon with some spirmint tea useing the same recipe i used to make my own shisha tobacco

Spearmint would probably be kick ass. I am not sure if/how much the type of tea (besides flavouring) will change the way it smokes. I use chamomile, but I wonder how different types of tea (say a green tea, chai tea or a white tea) would work. Probably something I will investigate.

I was going to try to add ground up mint leaves to my shisha blend originally (instead of pineapple and coconut) however I was unable to find any at the last minute when I went to look quickly. Let me know how the spearmint works when you get around to it, and if it works I'll give it a shot and add some either fresh or dried mint leaves to it.

• 1 month later...
So, I've got some new tea flavours I am going to try out. I have some serious experimenting to do. I have heard flavouring with sugar-free koolaid can work, so I've picked up a few flavours of that to try, and a few different types of tea. I currently have to test:
-Mixed berry (Tea & kool-aid)
-Peppermint (tea & extract)
-Tangerine (tea & Koolaid)
-Lemon/lime (koolaid)

Essentially what I want to do, is thoroughly test this to see what gives the best flavour. I intend to make up a big batch of one, and try each option seperately. So for example, I want to make:
-Tangerine tea shisha
-Tangerine tea with orange peel
-Tangerine tea with koolaid
-Tangerine tea with hard candy flavouring
-Tangerine tea with some orange juice in the base

Then I intend to take everything that had the best results, and mix them together to make a mega-mix for optimum flavour. I will need to smoke these all in fairly close proximity (I am thinking a small bowl of each one evening when I have time), so that I can compare them all side by side for an accurate review of what works and what doesn't. I will try to document the whole process in great detail so it can be easily reproduced by anyone interested. I will probably start a seperate thread once I get the experiment under way.