Manara Palace

Hassouni

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]
[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=2][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=2][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]Right off the Corniche in the Manara part of town, this is RIGHT on the water, next to the huge lighthouse (Manara in Arabic, also same word as minaret) and the Military Officers' Club.[/size][/size][/font][/size][/size][/font][/size][/size][/font][/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=2][size="2"][size=2][size="2"][size=2][/size][/size][/size][/size][font="Tahoma"]
[/font][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]Atmosphere: 5/5. I mean, come on, you're right on the Med. Does it get better than this? Not really. Though it was kind of cold when I went. Take a look:[/size][/size][/font][/size][/size][/font][/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=2][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2][img]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/182756_605317996091_37003198_34837054_3384353_n.jpg[/img]
[/size][/size][/font][/size][/size][/font][/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][color="#5D5D5D"][color="#1C2837"][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2][img]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180767_605318001081_37003198_34837055_7211687_n.jpg[/img][/size][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][color="#5D5D5D"][color="#1C2837"][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]And with the tide coming in after sunset:[/size][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][color="#5D5D5D"][color="#1C2837"][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2][img]http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/182784_605318011061_37003198_34837057_6508257_n.jpg[/img]
[/size][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][color="#5D5D5D"][color="#1C2837"][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]
Argileh: 3/5. OK. Not superb. Dinky Mya hose which makes it lose points in my book. Standard Leb hoses are much better. About on par with a Mya hose equipped rig at an American hookah lounge, I guess, though that's kind of not great for Lebanon. I also got a something-and-mint mix (either grape or lemon, i can't remember), but it may just as well have been pure mint. [/size][/size][/font][/color][/color]
[color="#5D5D5D"][color="#1C2837"][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2][/size][/size][/font][/color][/color]
[color="#5D5D5D"][color="#1C2837"][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]Service: 5/5. No issues or problems.
[/size][/size][/font][/color][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]
[/size][/size][/font][color="#1C2837"][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]Food: N/A. Didn't eat anything. Had tea. Lipton, which to me is bleh, but sadly is normal for Lebanon (Lebanon takes its coffee more seriously). My friend (in the second pic) got a Shish Taouk sandwich which she quite liked though....

Price: 6/5. Cheating, yes, I know. But 10,000LL for an argileh, come ON! That's amazing, that's less than $7!

Overall recommendation: Well God damn, it's hard to beat sitting literally at sea level sticking out into the water, even if the argileh isn't the best. I think this place considers itself more of a restaurant (see my other reviews: my theory is that places focusing on food tend to pay less attention to their argileh) - they have a pretty big food menu and a lot of fresh fish on display when you walk in. Still, hell, smoking right on the Med, who cares if it's not the best smoke. [/size][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][font="Tahoma"][size="3"][color="#1C2837"][size=2]For what it's worth, by the way, Rawda Cafe (also reviewed) a bit up the corniche, offers a similar experience in a cosier, more garden-like atmosphere, however, the view of the sea from Manara Palace is nicer. [/size][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]