Using Exotica Coals With Tangiers

For some reason I can't get Tangiers to smoke right. I know, I know...you've probably heard this about a thousand times. I've acclimated it for over a week now...but I think the problem lies in heat management. It's way too harsh. How would you guys use those Exotica finger coals....how many would you use and at what time? There's the long coal that's can be broken into thirds...each piece being a couple inches long. Should I get a hammer and break those apart and try and spread the heat out so it's more even?

Any suggestions would help.

Also...is Lucid easier to get smoking properly or about the same as the Noir?

Thanks

PS. Forgot to say that currenly I'm using two thirds of a coal...one on each side of the medium Tangiers phunnel. I keep it on the outside and rotate it occassionally. Edited by Cloud9

What size and type of bowl. For a small phunnel i take one of the 1/3 pieces, heat it and THEN break it into 3 or 4 pieces, then I use those spread across the bowl. For a bowl the size of a Mya standard I use about 1/2 of one of those 1/3 pieces broken into 2 or 3 pieces.

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]ive actually used two halves of an exotica stick on a small phunnel without any trouble. i made a deep score into the dead center of the stick and snapped it. this shows my hole pattern (three circles-poker sized holes) and initial coal placement. i rotate them 90* after about 5 mins and start smoking. instant satisfaction and no burning in my experience.[/size][/font]