Mashawi Lounge In Houston

Patrick

I just wanted to post my opinion and invite EVERYONE in Houston to come by!

[b]Hookah:[/b]

They use nothing but Al Fahker, they get rid of the extra syrup, and pack it very well (a head can last up to 2 1/2 hours!).

One hookah for as many people as you want is $9.78 with taxes included (as opposed to $14.95 +tax at other places).

They use starlight coals, which I use myself... amazing.

[b]Food:[/b]

Though I haven't tried all their foods, what I have tried has been spot on!

The prices are very reasonable, their alfredo for example is only a few bucks!

[b]Environment:[/b]

Usually pretty quiet, chill, the usual. One thing I personally appreciate is what's on tv, they usually have Mazika Television on or something like it, it really adds to the experience.

The owners are very personable, and very cool to be around.

The only downside to the place, is on Friday and Saturday there are a couple big groups of very disrespectful people that frequent the place, just steer clear of them and mind your own.

I hope this was beneficial to you all, I hope to see some of you there! Happy smoking!!!

• 5 months later...
I mostly agree with Patrick's post, but here's my own take:
Went here tonight (a Wednesday) with a friend. I tried to go last Friday, but it was overrun with high schoolers by 8pm or so.

HOOKAH: 6/10
The hookahs are alright - on par with everywhere else I've been in Houston but not great either. The price is pretty awesome though. I got a hookah, hummus with beef and pinenuts with pita (very good!), and a soda for about $15 -- the same price as a hookah at the lounges I used to frequent. They don't offer many flavors, but they mix for free (which I've noticed a lot of places charge for... pretty stupid). This might not be a comprehensive list, but here's what I remember (all AF): pineapple, mint, grape, cherry, double apple, mango, strawberry(I think), and maybe one or two other things. QL coals, but this is pretty standard in Houston, sadly. Hookahs themselves are acrylic... looks like MYAs but I didn't look for the stamp either. Hoses are standard MYA hoses.

FOOD: 9/10
Like I said, I had hummus with beef and pinenuts served with pita bread. I think it was about $4, and it was delicious. Soda is a Pepsi fountain, self-serve. Looked at what others were eating, looked good. They have pizzas, burgers, and Mediterranean-type foods... all very reasonably priced.

ATMOSPHERE & SERVICE: 1.5/10
I went in Friday and it was PACKED and LOUD. I stood at the entrance with two friends for a solid five minutes, looking around trying to figure out what to do - no waiters or anyone came by to greet us, help us find a table (it's a pretty small place, and all the tables inside were full). Waiters are not in any kind of uniform - fine by me normally, but when nobody makes an appearance when customers come in... we had no way of knowing who was a waiter and who was a customer. We left because it was loud and we were confused by the lack of service.
When I went tonight, it was less crowded, but there were still a good number of people there for a weeknight -- could just be because its a holiday week though. My friend and I seated ourselves at a table where some menus were. We sat there for a while waiting on someone to come by... Apparently you just order and pay at the cash register at the beginning. There is essentially no service, just someone to bring you your food and/or hookah. The pro of this of course being that you maintain your own hookah (yay!) and there is no server to tip, I guess. It was still pretty loud in there tonight, speakers blaring hip hop/club-type music and some Arabic music. It was difficult to converse. TV was on a football game with captions.
Furniture is patio furniture essentially... There are a few games and decks of cards. Bathrooms were clean. No decor, just black walls, TVs, speakers, and a register. It's a chill place, but due to the lack of service, loud music, and nonexistent decor, I'd say it's maybe a good place to go smoke and play cards or something, but not really for conversation/a date/etc.

I'm not sure I'll go back. I like to talk to my friends while I smoke, and I could hardly hear myself think a lot of the time I was there. Food was good, hookah was okay... all in all the place is pretty average. Avoid on weekend nights when it is overrun with high schoolers.

• 5 months later...
very nice i am visiting from north carolina. will definitely check the place out.

[quote name='Patrick' timestamp='1279480041' post='475486']
I just wanted to post my opinion and invite EVERYONE in Houston to come by!

[b]Hookah:[/b]

They use nothing but Al Fahker, they get rid of the extra syrup, and pack it very well (a head can last up to 2 1/2 hours!).

One hookah for as many people as you want is $9.78 with taxes included (as opposed to $14.95 +tax at other places).

They use starlight coals, which I use myself... amazing.

[b]Food:[/b]

Though I haven't tried all their foods, what I have tried has been spot on!

The prices are very reasonable, their alfredo for example is only a few bucks!

[b]Environment:[/b]

Usually pretty quiet, chill, the usual. One thing I personally appreciate is what's on tv, they usually have Mazika Television on or something like it, it really adds to the experience.

The owners are very personable, and very cool to be around.

The only downside to the place, is on Friday and Saturday there are a couple big groups of very disrespectful people that frequent the place, just steer clear of them and mind your own.

I hope this was beneficial to you all, I hope to see some of you there! Happy smoking!!!
[/quote]