Yes, Another Wind Cover Diy.

sleeperhit

So...I went to my kitchen to clean out the QT today and noticed all of these laying around; http://aiking.com/atc_tas.html
You can pick these up at most grocery stores. I got my flavors from Safeway and Raleys.

As I picked it up I noticed how incredibly thick it was.

So I decided to make a Wind Cover for my little QT.
Here is what you do...
Drink the juice/milk (They make all kinds of flavors)
Take a can opener and run it a long the bottom of the can.

Most can openers do a good job and leave behind no sharp edges. I can run my finger across it all day with no marks at all.

Washing it out supplies this;

Now that it's washed you're done.
It fits perfectly over your MYA Bowl.
Very snug and thick but doesn't get to hot.
Heat management was already easy but now it's even easier. I took a drill and made some holes which I didn't get a pic of, but it isn't entirely necessary. A knife will do the trick just fine.

The neat thing is that you can trim the part you can opened off and it'll fit perfectly as a screen on top of the MYA Bowl.
Just add holes to your liking.
And just like before, no sharp edges!

The groves on the cans bottom acts as a placeholder. It doesn't shift at all when moving coals around.
I can't do video otherwise I would have but this little mod works perfect and is sooo easy. Allowed me to use one Coconara cut in half. One on each end of the bowl with the cover on. As soon as I can get my digi cam back I'll post a vid.

$1.29 per can = Windcover + Screen
can't beat that!

Not the best, but really easy and works GREAT on my QT.
I'll let you guys know how it works on my Phunnel tomorrow.

NOTE : I forgot to add 'Windcover & Screen' to the title. Can a mod add that please? Then delete this note. If not, oh well. Edited by sleeperhit
  • Upvote 1

QUOTE (fcbayern @ Aug 25 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like it works great, and soooo easy to make. Maybe i will make one for my bambino, no windcover I have is small enough to fit the ashtray sad.gif

i use the tall one from HJ that is meant for phunnels. Although it fits (barely), a good knock to the table and its coming off. hasnt happened yet tho..

Quick update. as of today I've done my second session with only 1 coconara split in half using Al Fakher in the stock bowl shown.

Most sessions end using a total of 1 1/2 but when I can get by with just 1 it makes me very happy=)

I will take pics next time.

I'm guessing that with the windcover being low enough to keep them at a decent temp and helps even out the heat. I only end up lifting the tin to move the coals once. The can has yet to be too hot to pick up from the sides thanks to the thickness.

Well hope this helps. If anybody else gets this kind of coal usage please post it so I know i'm not the only one.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Careful with this. The cans vegetables come in, when heated, can release stuff that's none too good for you.

*Edit* Wind cover should be okay, just the charcoal screen. Edited by rahl071

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name='sleeperhit' date='31 August 2009 - 01:28 AM' timestamp='1251700080' post='401608']
Quick update. as of today I've done my second session with only 1 coconara split in half using Al Fakher in the stock bowl shown.

Most sessions end using a total of 1 1/2 but when I can get by with just 1 it makes me very happy=)

I will take pics next time.

I'm guessing that with the windcover being low enough to keep them at a decent temp and helps even out the heat. I only end up lifting the tin to move the coals once. The can has yet to be too hot to pick up from the sides thanks to the thickness.

Well hope this helps. If anybody else gets this kind of coal usage please post it so I know i'm not the only one.
[/quote]

Yeah that's great man. I just picked up one of the cheap wind guards with my shisha order and now I feel a little silly spending $7 on what looks like a glorified tin can. Works great, but certainly not necessary.

What are thoughts on spray painting a can like this so its more aesthetically pleasing? I wanna make one instead of dropping $15 on one but I want it to look nice. I'm afraid of toxic fumes but maybe some Rustoleum heat resistant paint would be fine, or maybe it wouldn't be a problem to use regular spray paint?

Sorry, I don't mean to thread jack. I was just wondering while I read this.

[quote name='dizzbizz' date='09 March 2010 - 08:53 AM' timestamp='1268142813' post='456077']
What are thoughts on spray painting a can like this so its more aesthetically pleasing? I wanna make one instead of dropping $15 on one but I want it to look nice. I'm afraid of toxic fumes but maybe some Rustoleum heat resistant paint would be fine, or maybe it wouldn't be a problem to use regular spray paint?

Sorry, I don't mean to thread jack. I was just wondering while I read this.
[/quote]
I think you should be good with heat resistant paint, just let the paint dry before you use it ;) If you want to be extra safe find some extreme temp paint like what you would use inside of a bbq grill although I can pick up my wind cover when it's hot so I'm sure it is a few hundred degees max.

[quote name='cartercdad' date='10 March 2010 - 09:06 PM' timestamp='1268280364' post='456463']
looks like my monster energy cover. see my youtube video for it. a quick and easy wind cover that fits everything. been using them for over 2 years with no problems
[/quote]

Yeah, the Monster twist-offs are perfect.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='cartercdad' date='10 March 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1268280364' post='456463']
looks like my monster energy cover. see my youtube video for it. a quick and easy wind cover that fits everything. been using them for over 2 years with no problems
[/quote]

I had seen a person with one. And I've looked at every gas station in town today and noone had any 32 oz. cans cept for beer and i didn't feel like drinkin that. haha. I will be making one of these soon.

• 1 month later...