"blindness"

Kathrynx

Here is a Foxnews.com editorial on the new movie, that I am excited to see (no offense to blind people I promise lol).

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,431193,00.html

In short, its being protested by the National Federation of the Blind. Although this is the second movie in recent times to be protested (the other being Tropic Thunder for saying "retard" too many times), do you think that this will make any difference to the people that made this movie?

Rather, what do you think of their protest?

"Freedom of speech" aside, because we all know they have the right to do so.

You can't please everyone all the time.

I can't wait to see what kind of "publicity" that new move "Riligulous" will bring with all faiths protesting that one.

Well, I haven't seen the movie, but the "blindness" in question in this movie seems to serve a higher purpose than just a physical defect. It seems like it is an allegory for something much higher. As soon as I saw the trailer I thought that it would be an attempt to make some sort of statement. Maybe I'm looking too far into it, but I don't think that anyone would make a movie about blindness just for the hell of it. My point: I think the National Federation of the Blind is jumping to conclusions.

As far as Religulous goes, protests will only help the marketing for this movie. People will definitely want to see what all the fuss is about.

It was made for a higher purpose...

From FoxNews.com:

"Based on the 1995 novel by Nobel Prize winner Jose Saramago, "Blindness" imagines a mysterious epidemic that causes people to see nothing but fuzzy white light -- resulting in a collapse of the social order in an unnamed city. Julianne Moore stars as the wife of an eye doctor (Mark Ruffalo) who loses his sight; she feigns blindness to stay with her husband and eventually leads a revolt of the quarantined patients.

The book was praised for its use of blindness as a metaphor for the lack of clear communication and respect for human dignity in modern society.

Miramax said in its statement that Meirelles had "worked diligently to preserve the intent and resonance of the acclaimed book," which it described as "a courageous parable about the triumph of the human spirit when civilization breaks down.""

I don't know what those people are talking about.

My wife is legally blind, not totally blind. 20/200 in one eye with correction and the other eye is unmeasurable.

She can't wait to see this movie. And we are going to see it this weekend!